The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, Has Died

-DLC-

12 minutes ago, Pears said:

In all seriousness, dying literally months away from turning 100 would really suck. 

In a few months the Queen of England would have sent him a Telegram of congratulations for reaching 100.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

5 hours ago, Lancaster said:

RIP.

A WW2 vet, did lots of charitable work, and relatively controversy free.  

He was a vet, did a lot of good work, was a strong conservationist, but controversy free he was not. A lot got swept under the rug as just another Prince Philip gaffe but he had a lot of controversial moments 

• Cheers 2

34 minutes ago, UKNuck96 said:

He was a vet, did a lot of good work, was a strong conservationist, but controversy free he was not. A lot got swept under the rug as just another Prince Philip gaffe but he had a lot of controversial moments 

Hence I said "relatively".  

I mean compared to Charles, Andrew, Meagan, etc.... 

44 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

From what I gather, she won't be "queen", but rather "princess consort".

Technically the same thing, Phillip would have been king consort but parliamentary decree states a spouse of a queen is a prince consort whereas Queen can denote both a monarch and spouse of a monarch. IE the title of king can only be given to a monarch 

Camilla would be Princess Consort as that is what she has stated, but technically she could take the title of queen 

• Cheers 1

What ever you think of the Monarchy and the Royals you have to applaud Prince Philip for his service to his country, before and after his marriage to Queen Elizabeth.   During WWII Prince Philip served in the British Navy in active duty as a naval officer.  

After WWII and his marriage to QE his charity work and his interest in conservation defined his role in the Monarchy.  The Duke of Edinburgh Award is the most enduring achievement of of his life.  This award is the basis of inspiration for many young people.

But the person I feel most sorry for is Queen Elizabeth.  Its awful to lose your partner after 73 years.  Someone who supported you for so many years can never be replaced.

RIP.

• Like 1