The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Kyle Turris, Paul Byron, Clark Bishop, Nikita Gusev, Kenneth Appleby

• -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to [Waivers] Kyle Turris, Paul Byron, Clark Bishop, Nikita Gusev, Kenneth Appleby

Clark Bishop has actually been pretty effective the season, as a bottom-six, defensive forward.

Here’s his stats line relative to teammates:

+3.56 CF%Rel

-9.17 CA/60Rel (negative numbers are good for CA)

+18.94 GF%Rel

+13.04 xGF%Rel

-0.69 xGA/60Rel (again, negatives are good here)

+13.5 SCF%Rel

-4.26 SCA/60Rel (negative good)

25.0% offensive zone starts 

26.09% offensive zone faceoff percentage (higher OZF% than expected from his OZS%, can be a positive possession indicator)

Also has a positive penalty differential (he draws more penalties than he takes), which is another positive indicator.

Only 12 games with the Sens this season, and just a hair over 100 minutes 5v5TOI, so it’s a small sample.

The only comments I’m seeing from Sens Twitter suggest they’d rather not lose him (which is actually saying something, for a low profile guy like this). Many saying that he’s been getting better with each game he’s played, and has looked like a legit NHLer, to those with regular eyes on him. Obviously, he’s just a depth player, but for 700K, and on an expiring deal, he’s a warm body who could fill a 4C slot for very cheap, especially if Beagle is going to be out longterm.

Here’s an overall viz on Bishop:

F24B6EC3-4A7A-44EB-A55C-0739A1C99C90.jpeg.6549bfe0a78d3bbf6965cbc19c405d76.jpeg

Again, positive numbers are usually good, except for events against (like xGA/60), where negative is good.

Bishop is on the right side of nearly all his stats.

EDIT: In fact, one could argue that Clark Bishop has the best underlying stats profile of any Sens forward this season, albeit in limited minutes/smallish sample (however, 100+ minutes 5v5TOI is usually where I set a minimum, for applying analytics, so I think we can potentially see some real value here):

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Clark Bishop has actually been pretty effective the season, as a bottom-six, defensive forward.

Here’s his stats line relative to teammates:

+3.56 CF%Rel

-9.17 CA/60Rel (negative numbers are good for CA)

+18.94 GF%Rel

+13.04 xGF%Rel

-0.69 xGA/60Rel (again, negatives are good here)

+13.5 SCF%Rel

-4.26 SCA/60Rel (negative good)

25.0% offensive zone starts 

26.09% offensive zone faceoff percentage (higher OZF% than expected from his OZS%, can be a positive possession indicator)

Also has a positive penalty differential (he draws more penalties than he takes), which is another positive indicator.

Only 12 games with the Sens this season, and just a hair over 100 minutes 5v5TOI, so it’s a small sample.

The only comments I’m seeing from Sens Twitter suggest they’d rather not lose him (which is actually saying something, for a low profile guy like this). Many saying that he’s been getting better with each game he’s played, and has looked like a legit NHLer, to those with regular eyes on him. Obviously, he’s just a depth player, but for 700K, and on an expiring deal, he’s a warm body who could fill a 4C slot for very cheap, especially if Beagle is going to be out longterm.

Here’s an overall viz on Bishop:

F24B6EC3-4A7A-44EB-A55C-0739A1C99C90.jpeg.6549bfe0a78d3bbf6965cbc19c405d76.jpeg

Again, positive numbers are usually good, except for events against (like xGA/60), where negative is good.

Bishop is on the right side of nearly all his stats.

EDIT: In fact, one could argue that Clark Bishop has the best underlying stats profile of any Sens forward this season, albeit in limited minutes/smallish sample (however, 100+ minutes 5v5TOI is usually where I set a minimum, for applying analytics, so I think we can potentially see some real value here):

I'm not sure why he isn't able to stick in the NHL, he always seems to do relatively well given his opportunities. I hope he gets claimed by someone.

• Cheers 1

lol at Turris what a bum. Wasn't he sour at the Senators for being cheap and not offering him a payday contract? Gets traded to Predators, signs 6milx6year. Starts to suck like a bum. Ultimate reward. Predators over the years got so desperate with finding good centers, they got fleeced a few big ones. 

32 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

I'm not sure why he isn't able to stick in the NHL, he always seems to do relatively well given his opportunities. I hope he gets claimed by someone.

Agreed. He’s done really well with the minutes he’s been given, so it’s kind of surprising that he hasn’t proven enough at this point to hold onto a lineup spot.

Just further to the stats I posted above, Bishop has also had some significant individual offensive impacts, especially considering that he is playing in a defensive role, and with defensively skewed zone starts.

1.67 5v5 points/60 (6th best on Sens)

3 assists (all primary) in 107:55 5v5TOI

8.9 shots/60 (4th best)

0.79 ixG/60 (3rd)

13.9 iCF/60 (5th)

10.56 iSCF/60 (2nd)

6.12 iHDCF/60 (1st)

1.67 Rush Attempts/60 (2nd)

So, not only has he been highly successful, in terms of his suppression stats and events-for percentages, during defensive usage, but when he actually gets the puck on his stick, he’s pushing the play up ice, and creating top-6 rates on his individual offensive metrics, especially on some key stats, like his individual scoring chances and expected goals.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Virtanen#18 said:

What da heck did Gusev do wrong to deserve this contract termination??? He can't be as bad as our very own Eriksson right??? can we somehow pull the same trick? LOL

He asked to have his contract terminated on the hope of signing with another team.  

• Cheers 1