1 hour ago, Lancaster said:

What happened to Kyle Turris?

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

He was put on waivers today :P

1 hour ago, Me_ said:

Life

31 yrs old, peaked in 2015, been dropping like a rock since 2018

• Vintage 1

Turris has definitely taken a nose-dive (I'm sure partially because he is way down the depth chart behind three top centers in the league), but how much of a drop-off is he from Pearson?  Obviously that ship has sailed, but would Turris at 1.65 for 2 been a better use of our money for middle six winger insurance (He has been playing wing lately) than Pearson at 3.25 for 3?

22 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Turris has definitely taken a nose-dive (I'm sure partially because he is way down the depth chart behind three top centers in the league), but how much of a drop-off is he from Pearson?  Obviously that ship has sailed, but would Turris at 1.65 for 2 been a better use of our money for middle six winger insurance (He has been playing wing lately) than Pearson at 3.25 for 3?

Player for player, I’d much prefer Pearson. No question in my mind.

However, if it’s Turris at 1.65, for just this season and the next, without any NTC/mNTC, plus whatever assets returned from a Pearson trade, versus just keeping Pearson, and adding three more seasons at 3.25, after this one, and with NTC/mNTC for the first two years, I’d definitely have to think about it.

I don’t really like Turris, but it’s not clear cut in my mind that having Pearson on this extension is better than selling Pearson for assets and then claiming the much cheaper Turris (although, to be fair, those were never really the options JB was choosing between).

• Cheers 1

48 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Player for player, I’d much prefer Pearson. No question in my mind.

However, if it’s Turris at 1.65, for just this season and the next, without any NTC/mNTC, plus whatever assets returned from a Pearson trade, versus just keeping Pearson, and adding three more seasons at 3.25, after this one, and with NTC/mNTC for the first two years, I’d definitely have to think about it.

I don’t really like Turris, but it’s not clear cut in my mind that having Pearson on this extension is better than selling Pearson for assets and then claiming the much cheaper Turris (although, to be fair, those were never really the options JB was choosing between).

Yeah it wasn't presented to him directly, but those options don't open up unless there is some patience on the JB side.  I fully agree that player for player, Pearson fits a slightly better need, but with the contract difference and the potential add of an asset for Pearson, it starts to come into question.  To me it's not definitively Pearson vs Turris, but the potential options that open up.  Could players like Foligno, Granlund, Galchenyuk meet a similar middle six need at ~half the price, while Podkolzin meets the other side of that middle six need.  Seems a bit rushed which made it a bit longer in duration and maybe cost than would have been required.

3 hours ago, mll said:

Sounds like some cap loophole. Perhaps they've agreed to a team that will sign him at a lower cap hit and in the off-season, they make a trade to "complete" the deal. Something to look out for.

With that said, I'd take a flyer on him and give him a look if he wanted to come here.

42 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Sounds like some cap loophole. Perhaps they've agreed to a team that will sign him at a lower cap hit and in the off-season, they make a trade to "complete" the deal. Something to look out for.

With that said, I'd take a flyer on him and give him a look if he wanted to come here.

It’s not worth the penalty risk when they have cap space to keep him till the end of his contract.  He’s an upcoming UFA this summer.  He just decided he wanted out earlier to try and find a new team and play. 

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

I don't think I quite appreciated how good Gusev has been when looking at KHL and NHL stats outside of this year in NJ.  Doesn't sound like he got a fair shake this year, but every year before this is pretty stellar.  Wonder what the new contract would look like and if our wealth of 3x3 contracts hampers even exploring.

1 hour ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

I don't think I quite appreciated how good Gusev has been when looking at KHL and NHL stats outside of this year in NJ.  Doesn't sound like he got a fair shake this year, but every year before this is pretty stellar.  Wonder what the new contract would look like and if our wealth of 3x3 contracts hampers even exploring.

He was widely considered to be the best hockey player in the world not playing in the NHL, before he came over last season. Hard to imagine that all that talent would suddenly vanish at age 28. His desire, and the consistency of his commitment to the 200ft game, are questionable, however. And his underlying stats profile is not encouraging at all (especially 5v5–his defensive GAR is pretty ugly). But I think in the right situation, he could be a very effective offensive player in the NHL. 44 points in 66 games his first NHL season in certainly nothing to sneeze at. I’d imagine he could match that, or even improve on it, with the right linemates, role, and opportunity. I wouldn’t advocate paying him anything close to what he was making, but on a cheap contract, there could be some real value for the next team that takes a chance on him. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Cheers 1

11 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Clark Bishop has actually been pretty effective the season, as a bottom-six, defensive forward.

Here’s his stats line relative to teammates:

+3.56 CF%Rel

-9.17 CA/60Rel (negative numbers are good for CA)

+18.94 GF%Rel

+13.04 xGF%Rel

-0.69 xGA/60Rel (again, negatives are good here)

+13.5 SCF%Rel

-4.26 SCA/60Rel (negative good)

25.0% offensive zone starts 

26.09% offensive zone faceoff percentage (higher OZF% than expected from his OZS%, can be a positive possession indicator)

Also has a positive penalty differential (he draws more penalties than he takes), which is another positive indicator.

Only 12 games with the Sens this season, and just a hair over 100 minutes 5v5TOI, so it’s a small sample.

The only comments I’m seeing from Sens Twitter suggest they’d rather not lose him (which is actually saying something, for a low profile guy like this). Many saying that he’s been getting better with each game he’s played, and has looked like a legit NHLer, to those with regular eyes on him. Obviously, he’s just a depth player, but for 700K, and on an expiring deal, he’s a warm body who could fill a 4C slot for very cheap, especially if Beagle is going to be out longterm.

Here’s an overall viz on Bishop:

F24B6EC3-4A7A-44EB-A55C-0739A1C99C90.jpeg.6549bfe0a78d3bbf6965cbc19c405d76.jpeg

Again, positive numbers are usually good, except for events against (like xGA/60), where negative is good.

Bishop is on the right side of nearly all his stats.

EDIT: In fact, one could argue that Clark Bishop has the best underlying stats profile of any Sens forward this season, albeit in limited minutes/smallish sample (however, 100+ minutes 5v5TOI is usually where I set a minimum, for applying analytics, so I think we can potentially see some real value here):

i agree has positive stats across the board regardless of the quality of his competition, these are the types of players you should take a shot on. All upside IMO

edit: although his corsi would be impressive enough for me to take a shot on him, what really is his ability to get dangerous shots on net, he nearly has a 2/1 ratio vs his competition in that metric.

Edited by Petey_BOI

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.tsn.ca/new-jersey-devils-place-nikita-gusev-on-unconditional-waivers-1.1620794%3ftsn-amp

I’ll start with that I don’t start that many threads.

thoughts on this gentleman and ladies? If we sign him before Monday he would be eligible to play playoffs, and I know that’s a huge IF. Buttttt do we take a flyer on him. He is a top 6 assuming he fits, he would be an all or none signing. His 4.5ish contract is terminated so we could sign him to 1? 2 million for 2 years. Anyone know if him and pod have history?? Or even tree? 
thanks for the opinions.