The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Kyle Turris, Paul Byron, Clark Bishop, Nikita Gusev, Kenneth Appleby

5 hours ago, Dr.BRR said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.tsn.ca/new-jersey-devils-place-nikita-gusev-on-unconditional-waivers-1.1620794%3ftsn-amp

I’ll start with that I don’t start that many threads.

thoughts on this gentleman and ladies? If we sign him before Monday he would be eligible to play playoffs, and I know that’s a huge IF. Buttttt do we take a flyer on him. He is a top 6 assuming he fits, he would be an all or none signing. His 4.5ish contract is terminated so we could sign him to 1? 2 million for 2 years. Anyone know if him and pod have history?? Or even tree? 
thanks for the opinions.

You didn’t need to start this one either.  It’s being discussed in his waivers thread.....

We have no money to sign him. 
We won’t make the playoffs.

He is clearly on a decline. 

No

3 hours ago, drummerboy said:

You didn’t need to start this one either.  It’s being discussed in his waivers thread.....

We have no money to sign him. 
We won’t make the playoffs.

He is clearly on a decline. 

No

I don't understand how he's "clearly" on a decline. Players have bad seasons and can bounce back. I remember when many were saying JT Miller was "on a decline" when we acquired him. You never know with a new team with the right chemistry. Pearson was also "on a decline" when we acquired him, then he had a career year. If Gusev is willing to sign a cheap contract short term, then it's worth a look. Low risk, potential high reward. That's how buying low works which pays off much more if there is success over only adding players at their peaks.

If Gusev is looking for a specific team to make the playoffs, then I get why he wouldn't choose here.

• Hydration 1

Yeah, if he’d sign here, and for cheap, I might roll the dice. Although, I’m not sure our cap situation allows for much risk taking or experimentation with reclamation projects, so it would need to be very cheap, and I’d expect he’ll get more money somewhere else, and possibly from a team in a contending phase.

But, if he was here, I could see him playing opposite wing to Podkolzin, and having some success. Both Goose and Podz are RW/LW, and they are opposite handedness, so that’s pretty good winger balance for RH/LH shots. And Gusev is a legend in Russia, so I’m sure Podkolzin would be thrilled to play with him. Also, Podkolzin’s two way game and doggedness on recoveries could be a good match for Gusev, who is a defensive liability, but has loads of offensive talent and creativity.

I doubt there’s a fit, but if it happened, I’d probably enjoy rolling the dice and seeing what might happen.

Not sure Green would be a fan, though, but also not sure Green will be here next season.

On 4/9/2021 at 8:20 PM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Here’s hoping Goose can inspire Loui to do the same.

Eriksson is only owed $1.45 Million right. Could Vancouver and Loui agree on a termination and then hire Loui Eriksson as a Zamboni driver for a year with a salary of

$1.5 Million / year ? 

On 4/9/2021 at 8:11 PM, mll said:

He asked to have his contract terminated on the hope of signing with another team.  

So a 28 year old winger that had a good season the year prior but declined the next year. Sounds familiar 

7 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Eriksson is only owed $1.45 Million right. Could Vancouver and Loui agree on a termination and then hire Loui Eriksson as a Zamboni driver for a year with a salary of

$1.5 Million / year ? 

Not per the CBA.  That could lead to cap penalties and/or the loss of draft picks.  Teams can’t encourage players to retire or agree on post-retirement compensation.  They also can’t pay players beyond market value for the position.  Benning asked the league to verify with Luongo.

2 hours ago, mll said:

Not per the CBA.  That could lead to cap penalties and/or the loss of draft picks.  Teams can’t encourage players to retire or agree on post-retirement compensation.  They also can’t pay players beyond market value for the position.  Benning asked the league to verify with Luongo.

maybe a proxy can do this then ...  :bigblush:

4 hours ago, iinatcc said:

$1.5 Million / year ? 

I think Eriksson is owed $4M, in the form of a $1M signing bonus, and $3M salary.

So, as @mll notes, he could not get paid anything close to what he’s owed, as a Zamboni driver, because that would be way above market value, and considered circumvention.

However, hired as a VP or a special advisor (like Luongo), and with a multi year contract, I’m sure he could be given a total compensation package similar to $4M. Maybe not for just one year, but he could easily be given a “market value” seven figure salary, over a number of years term, and a job title that justified it. 

EDIT: However, the Canucks being the Canucks, I’m sure the league would take issue and penalize Vancouver. It’s not like we’re Toronto, Chicago, Philly, Florida, Tampa Bay, or any of the other teams that are allowed to engage in “wink wink nudge nudge” forms of circumvention, when it comes to “retiring” players, or manipulating the salary cap and the spirit of the CBA.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
5 hours ago, iinatcc said:

So a 28 year old winger that had a good season the year prior but declined the next year. Sounds familiar 

Gusev 1 season in the NHL 5'9 165lb one way player

Pearson 7 seasons in the NHL (38 point average) 6'1 201lb two way player

NWJQQUTT4JG7JAKPAZLIGIV4PI.thumb.jpg.548fbaee206baeb4910e33303bbd474a.jpg

Edited by coryberg

Kyle Turris: I never liked the fact that Arizona played him at 18 & 19. A year after that he spent a whole season in the AHL. Gretzky coached him and was tough on him so you wonder what the story is. His work in the Ottawa community was outstanding. Great human being. 

No real place for him on the Canucks. 

Edited by Boudrias
7 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Kyle Turris: I never liked the fact that Arizona played him at 18 & 19. A year after that he spent a whole season in the AHL. Gretzky coached him and was tough on him so you wonder what the story is. His work in the Ottawa community was outstanding. Great human being. 

No real place for him on the Canucks. 

I think Ray Ferraro did say the reason why most superstars do not make good coaches is because they are so talented that they can't see the game from players who do not have the same skill level or talent so it becomes difficult to those players. So maybe Gretzky was the wrong guy to mentor or coach a player like Turris. Who is actually a really good player, and has had a good career especially after rebounding from the Coyotes, but he probably is a tier or two below Gretzky. 

Edited by iinatcc
2 hours ago, coryberg said:

Gusev 1 season in the NHL 5'9 165lb one way player

Pearson 7 seasons in the NHL (38 point average) 6'1 201lb two way player

NWJQQUTT4JG7JAKPAZLIGIV4PI.thumb.jpg.548fbaee206baeb4910e33303bbd474a.jpg

Yet both players seem to decline around the age where most analysts feel many NHL players start their decline. 

1 minute ago, iinatcc said:

I think Ray Ferraro did say the reason why most superstars do not make good coaches is because they are so talented that they can't see the game from players who do not have the same skill level or talent. So maybe Gretzky was the wrong guy to mentor or coach a player like Turris. Who is actually a really good player, and has had a good career especially after rebounding from the Coyotes, but he probably is a tier or two below Gretzky. 

The hype around Turris was pretty high and Arizona was desperate for talent. I think they rushed him. Gretzky was in tough there that's for sure. Turris career is slight above 0.5 ppg so from offensive side he was solid but not great. He's not a bad d-side player so I thought he could develop that side of the game to extend his career.