The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cole Caufield wins 2021 Hobey Baker award

Rate this topic

45 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Good night for Caufield. Wins the Hobey Baker then scored 2 goals and an assist in his first professional game with the Laval Rocket 

MTL's my 2nd team and hopefully caufield can translate to the bigs smoothly, but thats good to hear. since Canucks is barley slim to none and with covid, ima be rooting for MTL once playoffs come.

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I'm sure Montreal will have as much success with their Hobey Baker Award winner as we have been having with ours...  ^_^

Time will tell. Caufield has the skills to be a high end goal scorer.  His size was the  only reason he dropped to 15 in his draft class.  But he’s physically solid and if he exhibits the same knack for finding open ice as he did in college he could be a star. 

Edited by qwijibo
5 hours ago, qwijibo said:

Time will tell. Caufield has the skills to be a high end goal scorer.  His size was the  only reason he dropped to 15 in his draft class.  But he’s physically solid and if he exhibits the same knack for finding open ice as he did in college he could be a star. 

I'm thinking he will be a star for Montreal. 

8 hours ago, qwijibo said:

This kid is smaller than little Johnny, another Hobey Baker winner. Good luck to him but at that size unfortunately he’s going to be eaten alive in the NHL. 

24 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

This kid is smaller than little Johnny, another Hobey Baker winner. Good luck to him but at that size unfortunately he’s going to be eaten alive in the NHL. 

That’s what they said about Debrincat.  

31 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

if nathan gerbe whose 5'4" can play 400+  games I wouldn't be too worried. de brindicat same Ht. Wt. ppg player.

though smaller players are on a shorter leash, look at how new jersey gave up on Gusev

• Hydration 1
15 hours ago, qwijibo said:

Good night for Caufield. Wins the Hobey Baker then scored 2 goals and an assist in his first professional game with the Laval Rocket 

For some reason, whenever I hear of the Hobey Baker Award, my mind reverts back to the 1980's... :emot-parrot:

vintage-holly-hobbie-bake-oven-1980.jpg

10 hours ago, Petey_BOI said:

how big is this kid? he is listed as 5'7" 165  

montreal must have some funny team photos giant defenceman and mini forwards.

They have big forwards too. They’re one of the bigger teams in the league overall. 

7 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Little Johnny has 472pts in 504 games. DeBrincat has 20 goals in 37 games this season. Marty St Louis was very good 1033 pts in 1134 games. I think you put to much focus on size especially in today's nhl.

4 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

They have big forwards too. They’re one of the bigger teams in the league overall. 

last year they were the smallest, i cant find any stats for this year

edit: with adding stall they are right in the middle, about 1 cm shorter tha the nucks

Edited by Petey_BOI
52 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

last year they were the smallest, i cant find any stats for this year

edit: with adding stall they are right in the middle, about 1 cm shorter tha the nucks

This year they are middle of the pack. Same height and weight as Canucks at 6’1 199lbs according to Elite Prospects. Weird they were higher up in height and weight a couple weeks ago. 

2 hours ago, Roger Rabby said:

Little Johnny has 472pts in 504 games. DeBrincat has 20 goals in 37 games this season. Marty St Louis was very good 1033 pts in 1134 games. I think you put to much focus on size especially in today's nhl.

Yes 3 players over the last 20+ years to make some sort of an impact in the NHL. Ask Calgary fans how they like Little Johnny’s play in the playoffs. 

Today’s NHL is still a big man’s game.  There may be the odd exception. Also those 3 players you mentioned were not drafted very high. Little Johnny was a 4th round pick. Martin St. Louis was never even drafted. DeBrincat with his amazing junior numbers went in the second round. Not sure why Montreal took Caulfield in the first round. That’s a big gamble to take in the first round. Let’s see what happens. 

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yes 3 players over the last 20+ years to make some sort of an impact in the NHL. Ask Calgary fans how they like Little Johnny’s play in the playoffs. 

Today’s NHL is still a big man’s game.  There may be the odd exception. Also those 3 players you mentioned were not drafted very high. Little Johnny was a 4th round pick. Martin St. Louis was never even drafted. DeBrincat with his amazing junior numbers went in the second round. Not sure why Montreal took Caulfield in the first round. That’s a big gamble to take in the first round. Let’s see what happens. 

We took a small guy and I'm happy with him. You?

3 minutes ago, Roger Rabby said:

We took a small guy and I'm happy with him. You?

Yes I’m happy with our small guy. He’s 190 pounds though so he isn’t really small just short. Big difference. And we took him in the second round not the first round. We saved the first round for a guy who will play at 210-220 pounds.