The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cole Caufield wins 2021 Hobey Baker award

Rate this topic

qwijibo

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yes I’m happy with our small guy. He’s 190 pounds though so he isn’t really small just short. Big difference. And we took him in the second round not the first round. We saved the first round for a guy who will play at 210-220 pounds. 

Oh ok so it's not necessarily height you're worried about? That's fair.

1 hour ago, Petey_BOI said:

last year they were the smallest, i cant find any stats for this year

edit: with adding stall they are right in the middle, about 1 cm shorter tha the nucks

The team on a whole is the 4th biggest and 5th heaviest in the league this year

1 hour ago, Roger Rabby said:

Oh ok so it's not necessarily height you're worried about? That's fair.

Yes I think height matters to a certain degree but when you are on the ice your weight makes a bigger difference.  Guys like Domi and Crosby are short but are built like tanks. They can survive the pounding. That why I like Hoglander. At 190 pounds he can withstand the punishment and still play his game.

The guys that are 165 pounds need to be very elusive and need to be sheltered to some degree on the ice. That’s why I’m surprised Caulfield went in the first round. Even Gaudreau with better numbers in college didn’t get drafted until the 4th round. 

3 hours ago, qwijibo said:

The team on a whole is the 4th biggest and 5th heaviest in the league this year

where do you get your stats? https://www.eliteprospects.com/league/nhl/teams-physical-stats this is everyone one who played at least a game this year.

it says mtl is in the middle.

even when i take the current roster they show the team as being 6'1.5" and 197lbs https://www.capfriendly.com/depth-charts/canadiens

that puts them at 24th heaviest, and 7th tallest. but thats just a still picture

Edited by Petey_BOI

45 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Cap friendly. 

thats just a still picture from the same website just like my edited post, from above. even cap friendly it seems is no slouch in dishing out drama. tied for 4th tallest is dishonest at best. guess how many teams are tied for being 6'1" ? its a pretty big number. 27 teams are 6'1"

with my still picture i'm saying mtl is "slightly above average" in height and pretty skinny. no rounding, and my previous post shows that mtl on any given night on average will ice a averaged sized team.

if cole caufield makes the team and the let stall walk they probably gonna be the smallest team again.

Edited by Petey_BOI

13 hours ago, Petey_BOI said:

thats just a still picture from the same website just like my edited post, from above. even cap friendly it seems is no slouch in dishing out drama. tied for 4th tallest is dishonest at best. guess how many teams are tied for being 6'1" ? its a pretty big number. 27 teams are 6'1"

with my still picture i'm saying mtl is "slightly above average" in height and pretty skinny. no rounding, and my previous post shows that mtl on any given night on average will ice a averaged sized team.

if cole caufield makes the team and the let stall walk they probably gonna be the smallest team again.

I guess you’re ignoring the fact that  they’re the 5th heaviest team.  

Regardless. The point of the Capfriendly tweet was that the old statement that Mo freak is a team of Smurf’s is no longer accurate.  They have a mix of big and smaller players.  

38 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

I guess you’re ignoring the fact that  they’re the 5th heaviest team.  

Regardless. The point of the Capfriendly tweet was that the old statement that Mo freak is a team of Smurf’s is no longer accurate.  They have a mix of big and smaller players.  

actually according to cap friendly they are the 24th heaviest team, if you look back at the transactions you can see byron was assigned to the taxi squad that day. it's all just engineered drama to provoke people to click the link.

I don't know if Caufield dropped entirely because of his size. I think there's a good chance that its because team's may have viewed him as one-dimensional. When you've got over twice as many goals as assists, coupled with a diminutive size, I wouldn't be surprised if some teams had some red flags around if he would be able to translate his standout trait to the NHL. Only time will tell though.