The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[proposal] With the Pearson signing, would trading Motte+ for a decent 3rd line center make sense?

[proposal] With the Pearson signing, would trading Motte+ for a decent 3rd line center make sense?

Please don't get me wrong here folks.      

I love Tyler Motte.    

He's almost everything that a 4th line player should be in terms of his hustle, speed, work ethic, etc.     

Playing Devil's advocate here for a second, let's be realistic about Tyler Motte's upside as far as offensive potential goes.     

This guy probably isn't the next Alex Burrows.    

As good of a worker as Tyler Motte is, he likely "is what he is" at this point.   More importantly however, he does have some trade value unlike guys like Virtanen, Roussel, and Vesey for instance.   

So, just to play Devil's advocate here, lets pretend the Canucks did the following:              

1) Re-sign Jimmy Vesey to a league minimum "show me what you can do" type deal.   

2) Traded Motte+ for a decent 3rd line center.

3) Perhaps this is worthy of its own thread, but maybe we can entice Seattle to take Loui Eriksson off our hands?   With only one year left + only 2 million in real dollars owed after this season, perhaps it would be realistic?   

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Hoglander-Horvat-Podkolzin

Pearson-????-Virtanen

Vesey-Gaudette-MacEwen

Roussel

Hughes-Schmidt

Tryamkin-Myers

Juolevi-Benn

Demko

Holtby

Now, a few things:

1) I absolutely do NOT know if a Hughes-Schmidt defensive pairing would ever work.   My guess is that it could IF Hughes improved a little bit on the defensive side of things but that could be a stretch.   Still - if the Canucks were to replace Edler with Tryamkin as seems to be slated, then Hughes and Schmidt would pretty much have to play together since they would be our only two top pairing calibre d-men.     

2)  Call me crazy, but I think a 4th line of Vesey, Gaudette, and MacEwen might be able to produce some decent offense.   Gaudette may be out of his element in a top 9 role but I think he'd be pretty good in a 4th Line capacity.    And let's not forget that Vesey scored 16 goals not too long ago.   Maybe this 4th line does some damage.     

3) Pearson and Virtanen on a 3rd line together (or Hoglander + Virtanen, or Podkolzin + Virtanen) is also interesting.    Let's just stick with Pearson and Virtanen here for a second. Outside of this season, Pearson has been a pretty decent scorer and point producer for most of his career.  Virtanen is also only one season removed from a 20 goal pace season even though that seems like it was ages ago.    Would it really be farfetched to assume that Pearson and Virtanen, with a good 3rd line center, could form what would be a pretty good 3rd line?  

Obviously, Motte by himself wouldn't be enough to land the Canucks a good 3rd line center and so that "plus" would have to be pretty significant.   

Edited by DarkIndianRises

I'd be in favour of a trade to get a legit 3C.  Lowry is probably unreachable because of our cap space so most likely we'd have to trade for one.

Gaudette is never going to be our 4th line centre, but on another team he could be a winger on the 2nd or 3rd line, and Motte probably has the most trade value of anyone worth trading.  Gaudette is cheap and tradeable and Motte is on a great contract so I'd do a Motte and Gaudette deal to get a legit 3C.  Not sure who is out there but I'd be looking.  Especially with Beagle maybe being done we definitely will need a 3C/4C for next year.  Kole Lind might be a candidate to fill one of those 2 spots as well.

I don't think Seattle will take Loui, even with a first round pick.  I am hoping he has agreed to retire and go back to Sweden to make Sedish meatballs in his restaurants.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Probably in the vast minority here, but I’d offer Gaudette to Seattle if they would pick Eriksson with their selection. Then Beagle and Ferland on LTIR, Sutter and Edler can walk. Use a pick and retention to move Roussel. Resign Vesey(~0.9) Boyd(~0.85), Hamonic(~1.5), and Tryamkin(~2.2).

Sign Petterson(~8.8) and Hughes(~7.0)

Hogz - Petterson - Boeser

Pearson - Horvat - Podz

Vesey - Miller - Virtanen

Motte - Boyd/Lind - Hawryluk/MacEwan

Hughes - Hamonic

Schmidt - Tryamkin

Juolevi - Myers

Brisbois

Demko

Holtby

Leaves about 3.5 mil to improve at some point.

Something like that would be ideal...a pipe dream if you will.

• Cheers 2

12 minutes ago, NorthWestNuck said:

Probably in the vast minority here, but I’d offer Gaudette to Seattle if they would pick Eriksson with their selection. Then Beagle and Ferland on LTIR, Sutter and Edler can walk. Use a pick and retention to move Roussel. Resign Vesey(~0.9) Boyd(~0.85), Hamonic(~1.5), and Tryamkin(~2.2).

Pearson - Horvat - Podz

Hughes - Hamonic

Schmidt - Tryamkin

Juolevi - Myers

Brisbois

Demko

Holtby

I like your thoughts but I think the Canucks will be better served using Miller as a winger, playing with Petey or Bo, instead of trying to manufacture depth by deploying Miller as a center.   I realize that the Canucks went on a bit of a tear with Miller at center (before the Covid outbreak), but I still think we sacrifice too much on the top end by keeping Miller away from Petey and/or Bo.

Edited by DarkIndianRises
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I'd be in favour of a trade to get a legit 3C.  Lowry is probably unreachable because of our cap space so most likely we'd have to trade for one.

Gaudette is never going to be our 4th line centre, but on another team he could be a winger on the 2nd or 3rd line, and Motte probably has the most trade value of anyone worth trading.  Gaudette is cheap and tradeable and Motte is on a great contract so I'd do a Motte and Gaudette deal to get a legit 3C.  Not sure who is out there but I'd be looking.  Especially with Beagle maybe being done we definitely will need a 3C/4C for next year.  Kole Lind might be a candidate to fill one of those 2 spots as well.

I don't think Seattle will take Loui, even with a first round pick.  I am hoping he has agreed to retire and go back to Sweden to make Sedish meatballs in his restaurants.

Gaudette and Motte for a 3rd line C is definitely an interesting thought.

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Hoglander-Horvat-Podkolzin

Pearson-[GaudetteMotteReturn]-Virtanen

Vesey-[LindOrBoyd]-MacEwen

Hughes-Schmidt

Tryamkin-Myers
Juolevi-Benn

Demko

Holtby

1 hour ago, NorthWestNuck said:

Pearson - Horvat - Podz

Hughes - Hamonic

Schmidt - Tryamkin

Juolevi - Myers

Brisbois

Demko

Holtby

lol why would seattle take eriksson for just gaudette? the asking price to take eriksson is minimum a 1st.. and prolly even more now with a flat cap

Not the worst idea.  Admittedly Motte won me over (like he did everyone else) but a team needing PK help or a Barclay Goodrow type (depth guy projected to be able to step up in the lineup come playoff time) would probably want him, and he did also start as a "nothing" asset with Jussi Jokinen for Vanek.  If Vesey can be that next young energy guy with upside then I'd be for it.  If possible I still want to keep Gaudette though, maybe see if we can trade for Faksa (with Motte and Virtanen?  Not sure what Dallas' needs are but we'd need to move Jake's money) or sign Scott Laughton from Philly.

Lotto Line

Bo's Line
Gaudette - Faksa/ Laughton - Podkolzin (could be a strong two-way line)
Vesey - Boyd?/ 4C - MacEwen/ Lind

honestly the value of a 3rd line quality center is pretty high, imo we might be better going after a 35+ veteran for under 2 million and play the waiting game. at some point a quality center will become available.

ottawa or tampa bay lightning have alot of quality young centres that may request a trade.

19 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

Not the worst idea.  Admittedly Motte won me over (like he did everyone else) but a team needing PK help or a Barclay Goodrow type (depth guy projected to be able to step up in the lineup come playoff time) would probably want him, and he did also start as a "nothing" asset with Jussi Jokinen for Vanek.  If Vesey can be that next young energy guy with upside then I'd be for it.  If possible I still want to keep Gaudette though, maybe see if we can trade for Faksa (with Motte and Virtanen?  Not sure what Dallas' needs are but we'd need to move Jake's money) or sign Scott Laughton from Philly.

Lotto Line

Bo's Line
Gaudette - Faksa/ Laughton - Podkolzin (could be a strong two-way line)
Vesey - Boyd?/ 4C - MacEwen/ Lind

why do you like faska so much? the only thing that stands out as special is his size and has very good faceoff% (but one extra possesion per game is whatever)I feel players like these are available every year in free agency. 

If they have to trade Motte, I'd rather the Canucks trade him for a pick and then use that pick as an asset to get rid of bad contracts.  

There are many UFA centers that will be available this upcoming off-season.  Many are a bit long in the tooth, but sometimes it's better to have a proven veteran to play a reduced role than someone who you are hoping can fill that role.  Plus with a flat cap, there are probably lots of vets you can sign for cheap and short-term deals... like when Malhotra took a 1 year deal with the Sharks or Morrison taking a big discount to sign with Calgary.  

Mikael Granlund, Nick Bonino, Nick Bjugstad, Eric Staal, Derek Stepan, Ryan Getzlaf, etc.... to be used as the 3C, that can still hold down the fort if/when there's an injury to the top-6.  

50 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

If they have to trade Motte, I'd rather the Canucks trade him for a pick and then use that pick as an asset to get rid of bad contracts.  

There are many UFA centers that will be available this upcoming off-season.  Many are a bit long in the tooth, but sometimes it's better to have a proven veteran to play a reduced role than someone who you are hoping can fill that role.  Plus with a flat cap, there are probably lots of vets you can sign for cheap and short-term deals... like when Malhotra took a 1 year deal with the Sharks or Morrison taking a big discount to sign with Calgary.  

Mikael Granlund, Nick Bonino, Nick Bjugstad, Eric Staal, Derek Stepan, Ryan Getzlaf, etc.... to be used as the 3C, that can still hold down the fort if/when there's an injury to the top-6.  

Nick Bonino is a standout for me.

He's better than Sutter he always has been. We traded Bones for Sutter sacrificing like $2 million in cap space in the process when we could've held on to Bonino and traded him for some picks. 

Bringing him back in, I feel, would be very beneficial. Especially considering he put up 39 points in his first year here on that gosh-awful second line with Burrows or Higgins or Vrbata or whoever played there all I know is was complete $&!#. 

Anyway, getting back to the heart of the thread. Lets say we trade Motte for a second rounder which would have to be during the offseason since all of our players are out and can't be traded. We could sign a guy like Goodrow for the same amount as Motte which will give us some much needed new blood. We're going to struggle for the rest of this year and probably next. 

It's time to get rid of guys like Roussel, Beagle, Benn, Holtby and even Edler and Sutter. Sure, keeping Sutter for next season would solve the 3C problem temporarily and it would give Lind some time to ease into the NHL. But eventually, we're going to have to replace these guys and get some new blood. Once Roussel's contract expires at the end of next year, Pearson will fill the cap space left behind. Also, Eriksson, Luongo, Holtby and Virtanen will expire although Boeser will need a new contract. We'll have enough room to bring up some young guys and bring into some vets to support those young guys. Furthermore, we'll have an opportunity to retain Roussel and Beagle's salary and move them at the deadline. If we get TWO top 10 picks in the next two years, we'll be a strong team. 

Finally, I think we can replace Edler with Juolevi. I know that's a stretch, but I think Juolevi can be that strong stay-at-home guy that every team needs. He's only 23 years old, Edler was just coming around at the age. 

like i said, Motte is the heart and soul of the bottom 6. 

you don't trade a guy like that, you build around him.

Sutter @2M could be a good candidate for his own succession. 

Pearson Sutter Virtanen

Motte Gaudette Vesey   

seems not too shabby. 

Maybe we have an issue with Gauds at 4c but that's it. Lets see how Boyd's doing we may have already an option there.

8 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Seattle’s owners seem to have deep pockets.  Even so, they are businessmen and likely want their team to succeed sooner rather than later.  Having a marginal 4th line winger taking up six million in cap space hardly helps them in that.  A mid round 1st  round pick will likely be at least a few years from “prime time”.   Loui has no reason to retire and turn down $3 million in actual cash salary.

9 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yes I hope he retires because we can't give up 1st round picks to dump salary with 1 yr left...

The 1st rounders keep team young and great prospect pool strong....

8 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol why would seattle take eriksson for just gaudette? the asking price to take eriksson is minimum a 1st.. and prolly even more now with a flat cap

Cap hit is 6 million but only cost team 2 million for Erickson..

1 hour ago, AriGold said:

Incoming 4 x 4.5M contract for Motte..

Yes I could see Vancouver listening to teams about Motte? UFA next summer will demand 2.5 - 3 million  3 yrs?

Have to listen to offers?

No way are teams giving Motte 4.5 million in flat cap....