The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Nolan Patrick on the move?

Hmm I wonder given the constant Johnny Hockey and Philly chatter if there is a Patrick plus for Gudreau deal in the off season. Obviously Calgary would have to take Ghost as well. 

Patrick, Ghost and a 1st for Johnny and a 3rd??

"I'm hearing that [the Flyers] shopped hard Nolan Patrick," NHL insider Nick Kypreos said on his show Friday. "Obviously the injuries have taken their toll. As a buyer I think you still like the upside, but health is a big concern... I would think if you can get Nolan Patrick, if you are the Edmonton Oilers, I don't think it would get that expensive."

This is not the first we've heard of the Flyers potentially shopping Patrick ahead of the deadline. Sportsnet's Elliotte Friedman also mentioned the young center on a recent edition of his 31 Thoughts podcast.

“I wonder if it’s time," Friedman said. "I do think at times they have been asked about him, and they’ve kind of said ‘no.’ You know, right-shot center, second overall pick; you don’t want to give up on that too easy. But I wonder if both player and team are beginning to wonder if it’s time. We’ll see where it goes.”

On 4/10/2021 at 12:33 PM, Fanuck said:

Any deal involving JV for Patrick with the throw'ins being more or less a wash would be a huge win for us in my view.   Patrick is young,  not even scratched the surface of his potential and plays an important position where we have few young high-end prospects ready to step in.  Which basically supports the argument we'd never get him lol....

Patrick 22 -  Virtanen 24 

One guy is 2nd overall in his draft year other guy 6th overall...

Patrick first 2 seasons  30 -- 31 points playing over 70 games, missed last season - 2021 ---37 GP -- 7 points

Straight up trade both players need new teams....

• Vintage 1

I would do 

Philadelphia sends Nolan Patrick and 2023 conditional pick 

Vancouver sends Jake Virtanen and Adam Guadette 

Philadelphia does this to 1) get 2 time 15 goal scorer that had a down year 2) a player who could break out on a cheap deal

Vancouver does this to 1) get out from Virtanen’s cap hit 2) get a proper 3rd line centre at a low cap hit plus get a conditional pick 

Plus Virtanen and Patrick have very similar per game goals, assists, points and shots 

87D01838-5944-49AF-8C0B-D9FBC9CDFC35.jpeg

7 hours ago, IjustNEEDaTROYgamble said:

I would do 

Philadelphia sends Nolan Patrick and 2023 conditional pick 

Vancouver sends Jake Virtanen and Adam Guadette 

Philadelphia does this to 1) get 2 time 15 goal scorer that had a down year 2) a player who could break out on a cheap deal

Vancouver does this to 1) get out from Virtanen’s cap hit 2) get a proper 3rd line centre at a low cap hit plus get a conditional pick 

Plus Virtanen and Patrick have very similar per game goals, assists, points and shots 

87D01838-5944-49AF-8C0B-D9FBC9CDFC35.jpeg

That isn’t a fair comparison.  Take Jake’s first 184 games and he was performing at a little more than half the pace of Patrick.  Plus Patrick is a centre which is much more valuable.

Jake doesn’t have any real value at his contract, and Patrick does.

Edited by Provost
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Provost said:

That isn’t a fair comparison.  Take Jake’s first 184 games and he was performing at a little more than half the pace of Patrick.  Plus Patrick is a centre which is much more valuable.

Jake doesn’t have any real value at his contract, and Patrick does.

Do you not see that they are almost the same on per game goals, assists, points and shots and shooting percentage?

So how would it have not been fair when the biggest difference is 0.07 more assists for Patrick. 

I would take a Phlyer on Patrick. Wouldn't be coughing up too much though. 

Something like Virtanen + Rooster for Patrick + Ghost Bae. 

Money is a wash Rooster goes to a team where he will get away with his antics. Virtanen  does seem like a perfect fit for the fliers. 

Ghost bae is ED elligible and meets requirements. Patrick  I think coming in here with low expectations can really just simplify his game back to basics with the help of Jay Beagle and Bo Horvat there is a possibility we could get his development back on track. As his struggles seem to be with adjustment to pro's than character. He seems on a similar trajectory to Bo Horvat where point totals aren't telling the whole story. Taking the pressure off from being 2nd OA and a change of scenery could be just what he needs. 

Much of the same can be said of Virtanen. Top 6 expectations are no longer realistic so if you're going to carve out a career in the bottom 6 you're going to have to do it on the other side of the puck. 

• 3 weeks later...

I think Patrick still has time to put his game together. Technically, JV does too but it doesn't look like either will do so with their current teams. Both have been brutally bad this season. So on that level, it makes some sense. 

I'm thinking...

- That's not much return for a 2nd OA pick... even if he hasn't worked out.

- Are his headaches worked out? We don't need another Ferland-style situation.

But man, if there was a way to snag him cheap after such a brutal season, and then if he clicked in our system? Worth a 2nd to me.