The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Top 10 countries for woman

CBH1926

28 minutes ago, Rubik said:

Lithuania is 8th on that list, but i don't know why would anyone want to live in Eastern Europe, male or female...

As a former Eastern European resident I second your motion.

Edited by CBH1926
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

24th is unimpressive for Canada.  Imo, we should be in the top 10.

I wonder how much of a nation's gender gap is connected to their economy. When I think of Canada, in my biased opinion, I'd think BC and Ontario are probably ahead of the prairie provinces with the gender gap, and I think about how a big driver in the prairies is still farming, and that entire culture hasn't changed in its philosophies and beliefs as much as other provinces. You'll see some historic stereotypes continue to be played out in the prairies. 

Edited by Slegr

1 hour ago, Slegr said:

I wonder how much of a nation's gender gap is connected to their economy. When I think of Canada, in my biased opinion, I'd think BC and Ontario are probably ahead of the prairie provinces with the gender gap, and I think about how a big driver in the prairies is still farming, and that entire culture hasn't changed in its philosophies and beliefs as much as other provinces. You'll see some historic stereotypes continue to be played out in the prairies. 

The fact that white men still overwhelmingly dominate finance has a huge impact on the widening gap between the middle class and the wealthy, as well as the gender gap. 

• Wall Street bonuses have increased by 1,217% since 1985, according to New York comptroller data.
  • If the federal minimum wage had grown at that same rate, it would be $44 an hour.
  • That pay gap is also making the racial and gender pay gap worse because white men dominate finance.

13 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Yeah, wait until humans start to overtake Mars... then those Earthlings will learn!

51V77CfOF8L.jpg                                                               

6 hours ago, Slegr said:

Bottom dwellers: Syria, Pakistan, Iraq, Yemen, and Afghanistan. All pretty close to each other. Nowhere nearby for the women to seek out a better life.

It should be noted that the above bold 4/5 countries are also war torn that have seen years of conflict. 

4 hours ago, Lancaster said:

"Islam is right about women"

Progressive or intolerant?

Please leave religion out of this discussion... 

It is both progressive and intolerant depending on the country in which it is practiced and the school of thought. 

2 hours ago, drummer4now said:

It should be noted that the above bold 4/5 countries are also war torn that have seen years of conflict. 

Please leave religion out of this discussion... 

It is both progressive and intolerant depending on the country in which it is practiced and the school of thought. 

But religion does play a role since those in power in those area are using it as an excuse to abuse women.  

Not saying that's the only religion to do so as there are some hardcore Christian, Jews, Hindus, etc, that does the same too... but it's so much more with those who does follow that particular faith.  

It's no surprise that when you look at the bottom third, they're the usual suspects.... Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar... and those aren't poor impoverished nations with constant upheaval and without any access to the outside world.  They are some of the wealthiest countries in the world and some are global hubs too.  

Though I would admit that I think the study overall is a bit flawed.  I mean.... Japan is rated #147.  While women there do have it more difficult than men, most of the complaints are like "first world" problems.  Some of the metrics they used are a bit flawed.... like whether they had women head of state, the number of women in politics, etc.  I mean sure there's less women in senior management positions (common as Japan is more focused on seniority and women do take time off during their childbearing years)..... but to be ranked with some of the countries that still charge women with witchcraft, use public stoning as punishment, and some still practice female genital mutilation.  Lets just say it's best to take this ranking/report with a grain of salt. 

• Upvote 1