The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Adding at the Deadline?

I know this is crazy talk.

If Beagle is done for the season, and Petterson has a nagging injury and could  be worth shutting down for the little time remaining in order to heal up for next year.

We have a few million in LTIR space for the season.

Could we actually be creative and take on some bad cap that expires at the end of the season in exchange for an asset. 

With such a compressed schedule we will need extra warm bodies and are almost certain to have more injuries.

Contending teams near the cap need to find creative ways to add.  If we have a few million in unused space that isn’t going to cost much in real dollars... why not.

I should say that I don’t hold out hope that this administration is likely to do anything like that.  For a guy who likes the draft, he doesn’t do much to accrue picks.

Edited by Provost
10 minutes ago, Provost said:

Could we actually be creative

You probably should have just stopped typing there and not posted.

You know the answer to this.

• Hydration 3
6 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

You probably should have just stopped typing there and not posted.

You know the answer to this.

I know.... we just saw Detroit make a move to use cap space and launder money for a trade (after I posted this thread).

We could be involved in something like this.

I'd much rather see players like Lind, Gadjovich, Vesey, Big Mac etc get more ice time.  It'll give us a sense of what we have and how the team might shape up next year.

We are not a contender and won't be for at least a couple years, sadly.

• Hydration 1
18 minutes ago, Provost said:

crazy talk.

take on some bad cap that expires at the end of the season 

,and watch Jim and Travis fall in love and sign them for +$3M for the next 3-5 years because they are "Glue Guys"

Here is a little Crazy Talk from Virtiboys home town

• Haha 2
7 minutes ago, lmm said:

,and watch Jim and Travis fall in love and sign them for +$3M for the next 3-5 years because they are "Glue Guys"

Here is a little Crazy Talk from Virtiboys home town

Mumbo Jumbo? 

• Hydration 1
3 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I don't see Aquilini spending extra money he doesn't have to this year.

It is almost no money.  The season is almost over, so the pro rated amount is minimal.  Beagle’s contract is also probably insured, so he is saving money.

Look what Detroit just did... it actually cost them very little as they offloaded Lashoff who made a lot of money in the minors and paid 25% of the pro rated Savard salary.

1 hour ago, Provost said:

oh, we know 

If Beagle is done for the season, and Petterson has a nagging injury and could  be worth shutting down for the little time remaining in order to heal up for next year.

Could we actually be creative and take on some bad cap that expires at the end of the season in exchange for an asset. 

With such a compressed schedule we will need extra warm bodies and are almost certain to have more injuries.

Contending teams near the cap need to find creative ways to add.  If we have a few million in unused space that isn’t going to cost much in real dollars... why not.

I should say that I don’t hold out hope that this administration is likely to do anything like that.  For a guy who likes the draft, he doesn’t do much to accrue picks.

I'd be very happy to see Jim take on cap for picks if the LTIR is there. Its going to have to be more than a 4th tho I think to sell it to management.

But I'd rather see a deal where we can pick up a good quality fit from a team willing to move a guy for cheap they'd lose to expansion anyway. 

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

oh, we know 

I'd be very happy to see Jim take on cap for picks if the LTIR is there. Its going to have to be more than a 4th tho I think to sell it to management.

But I'd rather see a deal where we can pick up a good quality fit from a team willing to move a guy for cheap they'd lose to expansion anyway. 

Those aren’t mutually exclusive ideas.

That 4th round pick didn’t cost much in real dollars for Detroit by the time all the moving parts changed hands.

Just now, Provost said:

Those aren’t mutually exclusive ideas.

That 4th round pick didn’t cost much in real dollars for Detroit by the time all the moving parts changed hands.

good point. I'd like to see it happen for sure, even if we just flip them to Seattle to take the player we want them to. 

I know.... we just saw Detroit make a move to use cap space and launder money for a trade (after I posted this thread).

We could be involved in something like this.

We have no cap space.  Are you saying we give up a pick to move a "playoff type player" in either Sutter or Roussel? 
If he went to make a deal with Yzerman JB will get taken advantage of, no question about it.  We're certainly in no position to add either.  

2 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

We have no cap space.  Are you saying we give up a pick to move a "playoff type player" in either Sutter or Roussel? 
If he went to make a deal with Yzerman JB will get taken advantage of, no question about it.  We're certainly in no position to add either.  

we have just over 3 mil in LTIR space we could use to help a team clear some salary and get a pick out of it. 

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

Beagle by all reports is now done for the season.  We have all his LTIR space.

Plus we don’t know if Petterson is coming back this season yet, his agent said he is getting closer but it is a delicate injury that needs to be rehabbed.  The season is so close to being done, we could easily shut him down to heal rather than risk aggravating it where it could become more serious.

We could also run with less than a full roster to make some extra space and just call guys up from the taxi squad when needed.  That could

free up another million or two if really needed.

We could probably eat a $5 million dollar player if needed under the cap (the current $3 million in space, plus a million saver by whoever they bump off the roster, plus a million by running with a 21 man roster)

Edited by Provost
3 hours ago, Provost said:

After tonight it is looking like we will be 8 points back of Montreal, and have a game in hand.  Habs have TML on Monday as well.  We have a much easier run to finish the season than they do.  I know it is unlikely, but to make up 8 points in 19 games with a game in hand is not unreasonable, especially if we are healthy and rested.