The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks Return to Play Plan Announced UPDATE:DELAYED!

Rate this topic

It's absolutely embarrassing that NHL brass would throw a team, who's players have almost all being battling Covid, into a blender at the end of the season for the sake of playing the alloted number of games.

No practice time, some of our guys likely haven't been able to exercise much at all. That's just asking for injuries, which could potentially even impact next season. But they don't give a flying &^@#, it's all about games being broadcasted and whatever revenue they can squeeze out. Canuck players being hurt is only our probem. 

What a horrible joke. 

Hopefully we play some of our younger guys over the remainder of the season, try and keep minutes down and rotate players in and out. Just get out of this season as healthy as possible, I'm not even worried about the glimmer of a playoff miracle. 

• Hydration 1
  • Haha 2
  • Vintage 1
3 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Funny, I never remembered him doing that. In fact he hired sleep doctors to fight the long flights the Canucks had to take. 

Were you in the office when he called Uncle Gary? 

I heard Gillis interviewed at length when he explained that he and Laurence Gilman got on a plane and went back to NHL headquarters to personally lobby the schedule makers for a better deal. Other teams got wind of it and complained long and loudly, thereby giving the league one more reason to dislike the Canucks in general and Gillis in particular.

• Hydration 1
  • Vintage 1
3 hours ago, fanfor42 said:

Another reason to be positive is that the team has come through this  without anybody being hospitalized or having serious consequences.  From all reports from Dr. Jim Bovard the team is doing well and entering the recovery phase well.  I think these guys are going to be pumped to get back to playing hockey and won't take long to get going.  There are some great competitors on this team who have been sidelined, had to worry about their teammates and family and are now getting cleared to lace em up. 

On the bright side Pearson, pettersson, beagle and sutter will be well rested and recovered. Another thing is Montreal is really hurting bad and losing. Also now we have games on hand on them while they are only 8 points up on us all this time we were not playing. So a fresher, healthier Canucks has an advantage on an injured habs team that also has similar schedule as us.

• Hydration 2

Well, I have more a problem of injuries

Something that gets over looked is that when playing that many games in such a short time frame is that little injuries do not get the same attention. Sore backs don't get iced, blisters appear, muscle fatigue mounts up, and players don't get the rest. Never mind food.

These tend to accumulate and lead to bigger injuries.......................I am calling it now, expect to see Graovac, Lind, Eriksson and Baertschi play some games, same for the 3 dmen.

• Hydration 1
  • Vintage 1

I'd petition for an expanded taxi squad but knowing Green he only runs 3 lines mostly and allows Hughes those long shifts.

If he's not going to play the 4th line he should go 7/11.

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 2

Prior to the covid trouble the original schedule had the Canucks playing their remaining 19 games from March 31 to May 8 (39 days).They had played more games than every other team before their week long break so when they came back they would be playing a schedule that was a little lighter than the other teams.

Now they are playing 19 games from April 16 to May 16 (31 days). Other teams schedules are not a lot different to end the season. We play 1 or 2 or 3 more games than other teams during teams' last month. Some team's seasons end earlier than we do now. It is not dramatically different than originally scheduled and not a tragedy given it is only 19 games. 

• Hydration 2

if there is ever a time to tank for real this is it.

Rotate all the kids in. Lets see what we got.

Keep players from getting injured for next year by not overplaying them.

Try new systems. Nows the time to experiment.

trade what we can.

Edited by AV's Coin

From what I understand the players want to play so what all you “cancel the season” fans think really doesn’t matter, game on, my beer fridge is stocked and the Habs are making it interesting. The team went through a trial and hopefully they’ll come out the other end stronger and united, for the first time ever I’m actually kinda excited since Green took the helm, I expect great things.

• Hydration 1
  • Vintage 1
6 hours ago, Coconuts said:

It's absolutely embarrassing that NHL brass would throw a team, who's players have almost all being battling Covid, into a blender at the end of the season for the sake of playing the alloted number of games.

No practice time, some of our guys likely haven't been able to exercise much at all. That's just asking for injuries, which could potentially even impact next season. But they don't give a flying &^@#, it's all about games being broadcasted and whatever revenue they can squeeze out. Canuck players being hurt is only our probem. 

What a horrible joke. 

Hopefully we play some of our younger guys over the remainder of the season, try and keep minutes down and rotate players in and out. Just get out of this season as healthy as possible, I'm not even worried about the glimmer of a playoff miracle. 

Players want to return per Roussel - they still think they have a chance to make the playoffs.  How would it be fair to deny them that right if they can do it safely?  

These guys are wired to compete.  So many try and continue to play through significant injury.  It’s likely also about going into the off-season knowing that they can still play a full game and have recovered.

Edited by mll
12 hours ago, Slegr said:

19 games in 30 days sounds insane. I don’t think the Canucks have ever played a schedule like that ever, even at the start of this season. Mass injuries on the way. 

If Travis (Coach dumb) and Baumer (coach dumber) decide to ride one horse as they line to do most definitely we will get injuries. 

Regardless of a good or bad game 2 -3 players need to be rotated out every game to give maintenance days and opportunities to other similar players waiting on the sidelines. 

it’s not hard to see why this needs to happen. The schedule. This season. Yet the coaching staff has shown incapable of the noticing this in the past they were adamant to go with a set of players that showed poorly for a good chunk of the early 2021 season. Once their hand was forced due to injuries and they made changes to the lineup they started to turn the corner and go streaking in March. 

i have no faith in the coaching staff tbh, don’t forget Brown (dumbest?) this season is all in the players hands. Let’s see if the Travis(ty) & Cons realize that To give us the best chance 
they need to use every guy we have access to and even guys in Utica. 

keep the players rotating in, the tempo high, and play an aggressive mean style the rest of the way. 

• Hydration 1
  • Sad 1
13 hours ago, Squamfan said:

can't jim not fight back and say fu to the league. Gillis used to fight with the league to get a better schedule 

Didn't have to look long for a post blaming JB for the schedule.   I suppose he played the "icky spit in each other's mouth south park game to get covid game " with the team too.   Using Gillis to continue your campaign isn't a good idea. 

• Vintage 1

Get injuries can be a concern, but it's 19 games and we have a taxi squad.   The only foreseeable reason to be worried is IF by some miracle, we crack off a five game winning streak within the first 6-7 games.    Otherwise i'm sure we will see a lot of Chatfield, Lind, Podz maybe, LE, Bear, maybe even some Brisbois.    The teams destiny is in their hands at this point, seen stranger things like Ott rookie goalie winning 23ish games in a row a few years back in the last third of the season.     MTL has a stranglehold still.    We have a favourable schedule based on teams we have to play ... and a nice stretch of home games too. 

5 hours ago, mll said:

Players want to return per Roussel - they still think they have a chance to make the playoffs.  How would it be fair to deny them that right if they can do it safely?  

These guys are wired to compete.  So many try and continue to play through significant injury.  It’s likely also about going into the off-season knowing that they can still play a full game and have recovered.

Of course they want to compete, I fully expect them to. But that doesn't negate my concerns. 

• Upvote 1

8 points back of Montreal with a game in hand so...win that and 6 points back. It's certainly not impossible anymore. That was before we were hit by Covid...now we've got an entire team of players out of shape, some recovering from illness, who have to go in and play back-to-back almost every other night with no time for training at all.

A lot of things screwed the Canucks over this season - their slow start, Miller (and Benn to a much lesser extent) not ready to start the season, the goalies taking a while to figure things out, their horrible record against Montreal (which looks like it will be the decider in the end) and now this Covid delay.

Some were out of their control but some were all down to them. We should look back on those Montreal games because 2-3 extra wins and we're in the playoffs.

5 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

8 points back of Montreal with a game in hand so...win that and 6 points back. It's certainly not impossible anymore. That was before we were hit by Covid...now we've got an entire team of players out of shape, some recovering from illness, who have to go in and play back-to-back almost every other night with no time for training at all.

A lot of things screwed the Canucks over this season - their slow start, Miller (and Benn to a much lesser extent) not ready to start the season, the goalies taking a while to figure things out, their horrible record against Montreal (which looks like it will be the decider in the end) and now this Covid delay.

Some were out of their control but some were all down to them. We should look back on those Montreal games because 2-3 extra wins and we're in the playoffs.

We're going to need to rotate youth in, nightly, to try and inject energy. I hope we can pull more guys from Utica.

I'm hoping that we can get Podkolzin here by end of month.

Of note Montreal and Vancouver's remaining schedules are almost identical.  Montreal has18 games left.  They start tomorrow and play 11 games in April and 7 games in May ending May 11.  Vancouver has 19 games left. They start on Friday and play 9 games in April and 10 games in May ending on May 16.

• Thanks 1
  • Hydration 1
45 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I'm pretty sure when the dusts settles we will find out how these guys really felt about going back.   And that the doctor/training staff wouldn't approve of a player going back if they were "out of shape".   Two weeks off would have helped heal some bumps and bruises, and i'm sure the players themselves were back to working out as soon as they could.   JB says 2-3 players might not be ready.   The ones that play you'd like to think are ok to do so. 

5 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

Of note Montreal and Vancouver's remaining schedules are almost identical.  Montreal has18 games left.  They start tomorrow and play 11 games in April and 7 games in May ending May 11.  Vancouver has 19 games left. They start on Friday and play 9 games in April and 10 games in May ending on May 16.

Hope even with covid, the time off has helped heal some of the mid season body issues guys get.    It's entirely possible now to catch up if we can blast through OTT and MTL continues their woes.   Losing Price will hurt.    Still going to take a minor miracle,  but we aren't done yet.    As long as we keep playing like we have since game 16 or so  we have a chance still. 

• Hydration 1
  • Drive-By Body Pierce changed the title to [Report] Canucks Return to Play Plan Announced UPDATE:DELAYED!