The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Oilers Willing to Trade First-Round Pick For Player With Term

3 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

They could use a Sutter, certainly. But it's quite possible we could use one ourselves. 

There's value in retaining Sutter at a smaller cap hit on a shorter term deal if he's willing to stick around, we're going to need a viable 3c next season and Boyd or Gaudette haven't demonstrated the ability to play the tough minutes he does effectively. Lot of folks would like Lowry, but I figure Winnipeg finds a way to retain him. 

I've looked through each team's roster on capfriendly and it doesn't look like there's going to be a glut of quality 3'cs available. 

I can understand your POV however I would prefer a 3rd round pick if we could get it for Sutter. Glendening is great at faceoffs but that's about it.

2 minutes ago, Roger Rabby said:

I can understand your POV however I would prefer a 3rd round pick if we could get it for Sutter. Glendening is great at faceoffs but that's about it.

I know a lot of folks aren't keen on retreads, but I'd sooner sign Sutter imo. Although I'd be open to an alternative if they're someone who's proven they can play tough defensive minutes, but that'd probably involve acquiring someone. 

1 minute ago, Roger Rabby said:

@Coconuts or if we could get Baer for Sutter I'd be happy.

As in Ethan Bear? I'd be shocked if Edmonton moved him, he's a 23 year old RD and he'll be a cost controlled RFA at the end of his deal. 

• Cheers 2

25 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I know a lot of folks aren't keen on retreads, but I'd sooner sign Sutter imo. Although I'd be open to an alternative if they're someone who's proven they can play tough defensive minutes, but that'd probably involve acquiring someone. 

As in Ethan Bear? I'd be shocked if Edmonton moved him, he's a 23 year old RD and he'll be a cost controlled RFA at the end of his deal. 

Yes, Ethan. I'm doubtful myself but if they got desperate I would surely like him here.

1 minute ago, Phil_314 said:

One year extension for Roussel and 2 years for Sutter, then sign-and-trade?
Jake Virtanen for a 1st?

I suggested that in another thread. Virtanen to Edmonton, with his speed he may thrive with McDavid. I doubt they give a first though. Edmonton has some high end prospects as well but I imagine they are untouchable. 

3 minutes ago, Roger Rabby said:

Yes, Ethan. I'm doubtful myself but if they got desperate I would surely like him here.

I suggested that in another thread. Virtanen to Edmonton, with his speed he may thrive with McDavid. I doubt they give a first though. Edmonton has some high end prospects as well but I imagine they are untouchable. 

Virtanen actually could be a good fit with the Oilers. Not getting a 1st for him though. And with the way his contract is structured it might not be what Holland has in mind.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Virtanen actually could be a good fit with the Oilers. Not getting a 1st for him though. And with the way his contract is structured it might not be what Holland has in mind.

Some speed and toughness to play with McDavid. 

2 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Before anyone suggests it, can we all admit the likelihood of Sutter getting Edm 1st round pick is pretty much zero?

I don't think anyone suggested that. I hoped for 3rd rounder but if memory serves I don't think Edmonton has a 2nd or 3rd this year.

6 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Before anyone suggests it, can we all admit the likelihood of Sutter getting Edm 1st round pick is pretty much zero?

Absolutely zero percent chance. Sutter 50% retained for maybe a 2nd but likely a 3rd. Tyler Motte has term and Tampa Bay set a nice high price (Goodrow and Coleman netting 1rsts) and if Edmonton or somebody offered a 1rst for Motte I’d take that.

Ottawa- Dadonov, not worth a first imo.

Calgary- Monahan, probably a 1st plus.

Vancouver- Just don't see us getting their 1st.

Or a US team and wait the 7 days. Iafello or Rakell? Probably a 1st and Baer.

Or nothing at all.

I have a feeling Monday will be slow.:mellow:

1 hour ago, WCE said:

I would offer 

To Edm Schmidt, Motte & Pearson 

To Van Larsson, Turris & 1st rd 2020

This gives us a look at Larsson for the rest of the season and maybe get him signed. Turris would replace Sutter. 

uhhh.. Turris comes with a 6mil hit, Larsson may be anothher 5-6mil... so 12mil tied AGAIN to 2 mediocre players? Are you sure you are not an Oilers spy? 

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Absolutely zero percent chance. Sutter 50% retained for maybe a 2nd but likely a 3rd. Tyler Motte has term and Tampa Bay set a nice high price (Goodrow and Coleman netting 1rsts) and if Edmonton or somebody offered a 1rst for Motte I’d take that.

I would take it as well, anyone would but Motte would never get that. 

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

They could use a Sutter, certainly. But it's quite possible we could use one ourselves. 

There's value in retaining Sutter at a smaller cap hit on a shorter term deal if he's willing to stick around, we're going to need a viable 3c next season and Boyd or Gaudette haven't demonstrated the ability to play the tough minutes he does effectively. Lot of folks would like Lowry, but I figure Winnipeg finds a way to retain him. 

I've looked through each team's roster on capfriendly and it doesn't look like there's going to be a glut of quality 3'cs available. 

I wouldn't be against resigning Sutter but ideally I'd like to see him traded (EDM seems like a perfect fit) and for us to sign Scott Laughton for that 3C role.