Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Military Officer (black/Latino) pulled over and assaulted by police, while he was in uniform.


Recommended Posts

police officers used excessive force, threatened Army officer during traffic stop, lawsuit says

 

Police in the small town of Windsor, Virginia, found themselves in the national spotlight after being hit with a lawsuit from an Army officer, who is Black and Latino, after a traffic stop last December.

In body camera and cell phone video, Army Second Lieutenant Caron Nazario, still in his uniform, can be seen with his hands visible out of the window of his new car. 
 

"I've not committed any crime," Nazario said. 

 

Couldn’t post the video but it’s in the Link

 

 

 

 

  • RoughGame 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Canorth said:

police officers used excessive force, threatened Army officer during traffic stop, lawsuit says

 

Police in the small town of Windsor, Virginia, found themselves in the national spotlight after being hit with a lawsuit from an Army officer, who is Black and Latino, after a traffic stop last December.

In body camera and cell phone video, Army Second Lieutenant Caron Nazario, still in his uniform, can be seen with his hands visible out of the window of his new car. 
 

"I've not committed any crime," Nazario said

 

Couldn’t post the video but it’s in the Link

 

 

 

 

yes he did - he was born non-white apparently (KIDDING) 

 

My daughter who looks Caucasian but has Aboriginal Ancestry has had several very negative experiences with the RCMP and unfortunately it has tainted her view of law enforcement. However  the issue I think in the case of law enforcement here in Canada is our experienced officers have left the force and the mentorship and coaching is lacking for the new wave of officers coming through. I did a lot of work in the Oil Sands and in North East BC constructing accommodations for the workers and all of the major Oil and Gas companies had ex-RCMP working as their heads of security etc. and a small group of 2 or three security officers were able to maintain control of 1200-2000 man camos which were not always dry camps. They all left the RCMP due to increased workloads, lack of proper pay and the inability to spend time in the field training the new officers. I wonder if it is the same in the US?

  • Hydration 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, MikeBossy said:

yes he did - he was born non-white apparently (KIDDING) 

 

My daughter who looks Caucasian but has Aboriginal Ancestry has had several very negative experiences with the RCMP and unfortunately it has tainted her view of law enforcement. However  the issue I think in the case of law enforcement here in Canada is our experienced officers have left the force and the mentorship and coaching is lacking for the new wave of officers coming through. I did a lot of work in the Oil Sands and in North East BC constructing accommodations for the workers and all of the major Oil and Gas companies had ex-RCMP working as their heads of security etc. and a small group of 2 or three security officers were able to maintain control of 1200-2000 man camos which were not always dry camps. They all left the RCMP due to increased workloads, lack of proper pay and the inability to spend time in the field training the new officers. I wonder if it is the same in the US?

By the police officers conduct, I think it is clear that there is a serious lack in training and/or expectations of qualification for the job. He is a Lieutenant in the US Army, completely cooperative, in his actual Army uniform, with both hands out the window ... his seatbelt still on... and two guns aimed at his head. And they still pepper spray him. He’s obviously blinded by the spray and will have to reach to his right side to unfastened the seatbelt, which might look like a movement for a weapon putting him at more risk. 
 

WTF???
 

I agree training is an issue when your first response is to escalate rather than evaluate 
 

  • Hydration 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Canorth said:

By the police officers conduct, I think it is clear that there is a serious lack in training and/or expectations of qualification for the job. He is a Lieutenant in the US Army, completely cooperative, in his actual Army uniform, with both hands out the window ... his seatbelt still on... and two guns aimed at his head. And they still pepper spray him. He’s obviously blinded by the spray and will have to reach to his right side to unfastened the seatbelt, which might look like a movement for a weapon putting him at more risk. 
 

WTF???
 

I agree training is an issue when your first response is to escalate rather than evaluate 
 

Problem is, it's the city's taxpayers that will end up paying for this (assuming the guy wins his case) while Barney Fife & his buddy will get to continue go into every situation with "guns blazing" as their first thought.

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Canorth said:

By the police officers conduct, I think it is clear that there is a serious lack in training and/or expectations of qualification for the job. He is a Lieutenant in the US Army, completely cooperative, in his actual Army uniform, with both hands out the window ... his seatbelt still on... and two guns aimed at his head. And they still pepper spray him. He’s obviously blinded by the spray and will have to reach to his right side to unfastened the seatbelt, which might look like a movement for a weapon putting him at more risk. 
 

WTF???
 

I agree training is an issue when your first response is to escalate rather than evaluate 
 

You shouldn't need to be trained to not do this IMO

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Doesn't surprise me especially after all the videos I watched about a year ago from incidents where police abuse their power and just are clueless in what they're doing sometimes, this just adds to that list now. Yet people still will claim it's just a few bad apples their not all like this, true their not all like this but there's a lot and I mean a lot more than just a few bad apples and I'm a little sick of hearing people use that sad excuse for this crap that continues to happen. It's the training that's the bigger issue and that is what really needs to be addressed.

 

And they say it was because they couldn't see no plates, but in the video you can see the papers in the rear window even though it's tinted you can still see them, are cops getting their eyes checked... Because it's kind of a sad excuse on their part when you can clearly see some type of paper in the top right corner of the rear window.  

Edited by ChuckNORRIS4Cup
Link to post
Share on other sites

Weapon holstered, hand on the gun IN the holster that's fine. You can see the Lt. hands. He was not acting threatening. Do the police act this way with every military officer in town? As someone said, whatever happened to can I see your licence and registration please, this is a traffic stop. 

 

 

Edited by Ghostsof1915
  • Vintage 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't care if he was doing a wheelie in his truck down the main drag. He did the smart thing, get to a well lit public area and pull over. 

The fact once he was pepper sprayed he cared as much for his dog as himself. I hope they lose their jobs, and any pension. 

They can go become mall cops and power trip at the Walmart. 

 

  • Hydration 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Problem is, it's the city's taxpayers that will end up paying for this (assuming the guy wins his case) while Barney Fife & his buddy will get to continue go into every situation with "guns blazing" as their first thought.

maybe the taxpayers need to take a closer look at who they are hiring 

  • Hydration 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

maybe the taxpayers need to take a closer look at who they are hiring 

I’m only speculating but I’d guess the root of the problem is a combination of lousy pay (tend to only get the awful candidates) and even worse training by their so-called superiors.  

  • Hydration 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I’m only speculating but I’d guess the root of the problem is a combination of lousy pay (tend to only get the awful candidates) and even worse training by their so-called superiors.  

I wonder what the cost-benefit analysis of better salaries and training is vs big payouts? 

 

Its like the US hires the guys that couldn't make it in any other field, pays them peanuts and gives them guns. No kidding this is the result. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The officers seemed to escalate a situation they absolutely didn't need to. They were super amped up. I wonder what the full backstory is.

However, besides putting his hands out the window, he really didn't listen to commands. Whether justified or not, you listen to officer's commands. If you disagree with their conduct, you file a complaint. That's the process. Deviate from the process and bad cops or poorly trained cops escalate further.

...and if the process doesn't work (and I bet it commonly does not), you bring it to your government official, the media, or the courts. But save yourself the potential injury or death by complying in the first place.

Edited by kloubek
  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I wonder what the cost-benefit analysis of better salaries and training is vs big payouts? 

 

Its like the US hires the guys that couldn't make it in any other field, pays them peanuts and gives them guns. No kidding this is the result. 

Yup.  Short sighted thinking.   Cheap out now only ends up costing you more in the end.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Good lord.  Not that it even matters, but the temp decal is visible.  You'd think it would end right then, when they walk close enough to see it better.  

 

I guess the good news is he will be a rich man in a few months and can get out of that place.  Take his parents and family too.

But the old officer will likely go retire on full pension, the younger guy will be hired 2 counties over.    

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MikeBossy said:

yes he did - he was born non-white apparently (KIDDING) 

 

My daughter who looks Caucasian but has Aboriginal Ancestry has had several very negative experiences with the RCMP and unfortunately it has tainted her view of law enforcement. However  the issue I think in the case of law enforcement here in Canada is our experienced officers have left the force and the mentorship and coaching is lacking for the new wave of officers coming through. I did a lot of work in the Oil Sands and in North East BC constructing accommodations for the workers and all of the major Oil and Gas companies had ex-RCMP working as their heads of security etc. and a small group of 2 or three security officers were able to maintain control of 1200-2000 man camos which were not always dry camps. They all left the RCMP due to increased workloads, lack of proper pay and the inability to spend time in the field training the new officers. I wonder if it is the same in the US?

as you can see from the video the officer in control of that situation was the experienced officer in his late 40's. the new recruit as you can see from his expressions is nervous about the situation, but does as he's trained to do.

 

the older officer would likely not be a new recruit because of his weight, so I wouldn't assume that situation is a result of lack of training. the older officer also probably was acting as instructed though too. there may be a few instances where there was poor judgment (the threat, the kick) but I'm sure pulling the weapon and pepper spraying were trained practises.

 

i believe that race had very little to do with this officers behavior, and it was a result of another civil servant not following his orders. a man dressed in army fatigue's likely has access to a pistol.

 

I think this situation is over blown by the media 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I wonder what the cost-benefit analysis of better salaries and training is vs big payouts? 

 

Its like the US hires the guys that couldn't make it in any other field, pays them peanuts and gives them guns. No kidding this is the result. 

Cops get different pay depending on whatever state they’re in within the US. Not sure about training but I know for a fact a lot of the things they should be training on a consistent basis only get covered once when they are initially training to be cops. 
 

IMO they need to constantly be learning and testing themselves. 
 

Policing requires very little room for mistakes and are always at the heels of human error(hard not to make mistakes and be perfect). The type of job it is puts you in constant positions/grey areas that could lead to mistakes. It isn’t a safe, sound or cushy job as the slightest of mistakes can prove extremely costly. Consistent and appropriate training could help to rectify this. 

  • Hydration 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I would have this M*****F*****'s job and pension for this. He is in violation of so many statutes that he could be jailed for a long time. The city would be reimbursing me for decades. I'm a military vet; this just sickens me.

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...