The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Military Officer (black/Latino) pulled over and assaulted by police, while he was in uniform.

1 hour ago, Petey_BOI said:

as you can see from the video the officer in control of that situation was the experienced officer in his late 40's. the new recruit as you can see from his expressions is nervous about the situation, but does as he's trained to do.

the older officer would likely not be a new recruit because of his weight, so I wouldn't assume that situation is a result of lack of training. the older officer also probably was acting as instructed though too. there may be a few instances where there was poor judgment (the threat, the kick) but I'm sure pulling the weapon and pepper spraying were trained practises.

i believe that race had very little to do with this officers behavior, and it was a result of another civil servant not following his orders. a man dressed in army fatigue's likely has access to a pistol.

I think this situation is over blown by the media 

That is a crock, and you know it. For a traffic violation, the officer does NOT start the procedure with his weapon drawn. If it is true that the Army officer took a little extra time to pull over, fine. That is so easily explained. There was absolutely no reason for this to escalate like it did, except for the two Stooges, pardon me, police officers, looked like they equated an expensive vehicle and a black man with something dangerous. That's called racial profiling; this is a text book example. They would have already known this was an Army Lt. if they had bothered to use correct procedure, which is calling in his plates. I don't care what state it is, they all have a person's vehicle on file and what they do. The older officer (idiot) needs to be suspended pending investigation, then stuck on a desk for the remainder of his career until he can retire. Immediately!! The younger one needs to be shown the correct way to deal with pulling someone over. It sure as hell isn't by not knowing who you are supposed to be talking to, and if the vehicle in question belongs to them.

If they had done this correctly, they would have been perfectly within their rights to give the Army gentleman a warning, or maybe even a ticket, for not pulling over immediately. That's it!! 

There is no excuse that can be given for this kind of shi**y police work. And people wonder why racial tension in the US is as high as it has been since the 1960s? 

And before you ask, I showed this to a friend of mine that is a State Patrolman. He said, and I quote "The older cop doesn't need his badge anymore". My friend was equally disgusted at this.

And no, no military person is going to have a gun just sitting there. If anything, we (and I include myself though no longer active) are held to a higher standard. If he has a firearm, it is not loaded and the clip is likely in the glovebox.  

• Hydration 3
  • Vintage 1
2 hours ago, Petey_BOI said:

as you can see from the video the officer in control of that situation was the experienced officer in his late 40's. the new recruit as you can see from his expressions is nervous about the situation, but does as he's trained to do.

the older officer would likely not be a new recruit because of his weight, so I wouldn't assume that situation is a result of lack of training. the older officer also probably was acting as instructed though too. there may be a few instances where there was poor judgment (the threat, the kick) but I'm sure pulling the weapon and pepper spraying were trained practises.

i believe that race had very little to do with this officers behavior, and it was a result of another civil servant not following his orders. a man dressed in army fatigue's likely has access to a pistol.

I think this situation is over blown by the media 

Once?  Sure

Literally hundreds if not thousands of thousands of times a month in America...no

NO way in hell any officer of the law immediately starts an interaction yelling, screaming refusing to speak to said "subject" with a weapon drawn unless inherent bias is present.  Especially over a traffic violation.  NO reasonable human being acts this way at all.  Let alone an officer of any civil law.

Edited by Warhippy
  • Hydration 1
7 hours ago, Canorth said:

police officers used excessive force, threatened Army officer during traffic stop, lawsuit says

Police in the small town of Windsor, Virginia, found themselves in the national spotlight after being hit with a lawsuit from an Army officer, who is Black and Latino, after a traffic stop last December.

In body camera and cell phone video, Army Second Lieutenant Caron Nazario, still in his uniform, can be seen with his hands visible out of the window of his new car. 

"I've not committed any crime," Nazario said. 

Couldn’t post the video but it’s in the Link

This happened last Dec. 5th. The Army Lieutenant has sued the police and the older officer has been fired (rightfully so), see link below

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/police-accused-threatening-pulling-gun-black-army-lieutenant-during-virginia-n1263731

• Thanks 1

I hope he sues the pants of them, and wins. This $&!# happens to often down south, it's little wonder racial tensions are as high as they are. This bit was recorded and got to the media, but most of the time $&!# like this probably doesn't make the news, and racial minorities go on having experienced what is likely a traumatic experience. 

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Once?  Sure

Literally hundreds if not thousands of thousands of times a month in America...no

NO way in hell any officer of the law immediately starts an interaction yelling, screaming refusing to speak to said "subject" with a weapon drawn unless inherent bias is present.  Especially over a traffic violation.  NO reasonable human being acts this way at all.  Let alone an officer of any civil law.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/police-pull-guns-spray-black-latino-army-officer/story?id=76992531

so i watched another video that shows the situation from the initial traffic stop, upon that evidence I think that pulling a gun without speaking to the individual first is insane

they classified the stop as a felony stop to thier dispatch, pulled thier gun and then yelled at the individual to get out of the car. but i will assume they did not know the race of the individual until the situation escalated.

so yeah upon further review, i think the situation was handled poorly.

Edited by Petey_BOI
2 hours ago, Father Ryan said:

That is a crock, and you know it. For a traffic violation, the officer does NOT start the procedure with his weapon drawn. If it is true that the Army officer took a little extra time to pull over, fine. That is so easily explained. There was absolutely no reason for this to escalate like it did, except for the two Stooges, pardon me, police officers, looked like they equated an expensive vehicle and a black man with something dangerous. That's called racial profiling; this is a text book example. They would have already known this was an Army Lt. if they had bothered to use correct procedure, which is calling in his plates. I don't care what state it is, they all have a person's vehicle on file and what they do. The older officer (idiot) needs to be suspended pending investigation, then stuck on a desk for the remainder of his career until he can retire. Immediately!! The younger one needs to be shown the correct way to deal with pulling someone over. It sure as hell isn't by not knowing who you are supposed to be talking to, and if the vehicle in question belongs to them.

If they had done this correctly, they would have been perfectly within their rights to give the Army gentleman a warning, or maybe even a ticket, for not pulling over immediately. That's it!! 

There is no excuse that can be given for this kind of shi**y police work. And people wonder why racial tension in the US is as high as it has been since the 1960s? 

And before you ask, I showed this to a friend of mine that is a State Patrolman. He said, and I quote "The older cop doesn't need his badge anymore". My friend was equally disgusted at this.

And no, no military person is going to have a gun just sitting there. If anything, we (and I include myself though no longer active) are held to a higher standard. If he has a firearm, it is not loaded and the clip is likely in the glovebox.  

listen in that video it didnt show the officer pull his gun first.

this one did, and i agree with you. 

https://abcnews.go.com/US/police-pull-guns-spray-black-latino-army-officer/story?id=76992531

2 hours ago, Father Ryan said:

Thank you for your words. I could not describe the situation better. 

Please, Carry on...

Cheers

C

• Hydration 1

So much wrong with how the media cutup the clips of this to look bad, this guy drove a mile and a half with lights flashing then refused to comply, watch the whole stop this guy was asking for it and y’all falling for it. Watch how a black ex police officer shows what the media won’t show you

Officer Tatum explains the full stop 

A few years back, I was pulled over by a police officer for speeding. He came up to the window and asked me if I knew how long he was behind me with his lights on. I told him that I had pulled over as soon as I noticed the lights. He laughed and informed me that he was following behind me with his lights on for almost ten miles. It was a drizzly day and I had a bunch of stuff in the back seat so I didn't notice. I guess in the States that would have put my life in jeopardy.

• Hydration 1
9 hours ago, KelownaCanucksFan said:

So much wrong with how the media cutup the clips of this to look bad, this guy drove a mile and a half with lights flashing then refused to comply, watch the whole stop this guy was asking for it and y’all falling for it. Watch how a black ex police officer shows what the media won’t show you

Officer Tatum, the guy who puts out YouTube videos like “Stop lying, Men and Women are not equal” or “They are Taking Over Our Country” with a thumbnail of Kamala Harris. Not where I go to get my dosage of truth.

• Hydration 1

So far we've seen posters justify the police response by saying that the driver actually did something to warrant their heavy handed response.......and the old standby, "MSM isn't giving you the whole story!", (but this guy on Youtube is)....:rolleyes:

Yet, the fact that the driver was not charged with any offense, (let alone a felony that would warrant drawn weapons and pepper spray) belies the first response and the fact that the cowboy cop is no longer employed belies the second.

• Hydration 1
On 4/11/2021 at 11:37 PM, KelownaCanucksFan said:

People don't pull over immediately all the time. Sometimes it is hard to even know that you are being pulled over as they don't typically sound the siren. Also having blinkers on also is a signal to the police that you noticed them and will pull over once you think it is safe to do so. You don't want too just pull over on a single lane street for example.

On 4/11/2021 at 11:43 AM, MikeBossy said:

yes he did - he was born non-white apparently (KIDDING) 

My daughter who looks Caucasian but has Aboriginal Ancestry has had several very negative experiences with the RCMP and unfortunately it has tainted her view of law enforcement. However  the issue I think in the case of law enforcement here in Canada is our experienced officers have left the force and the mentorship and coaching is lacking for the new wave of officers coming through. I did a lot of work in the Oil Sands and in North East BC constructing accommodations for the workers and all of the major Oil and Gas companies had ex-RCMP working as their heads of security etc. and a small group of 2 or three security officers were able to maintain control of 1200-2000 man camos which were not always dry camps. They all left the RCMP due to increased workloads, lack of proper pay and the inability to spend time in the field training the new officers. I wonder if it is the same in the US?

The RCMP and many police forces in the US has very low entrance requirements.  High school education and then boot camp.  

For example, while the VPD ain't perfect, they are generally considered more professional than their RCMP counterparts.  They have a higher minimum entrance requirements, thus it helps to weed out any "bad apples". 

In the US, I believe the FBI pretty much require all candidates to have been to or completed college.  Run-of-the-mill county police, "If you can read this, you're hired!"