The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[3-Way Trade] Maple Leafs acquire Nick Folingo, Stefan Noesen; Blue Jackets acquire 2021 1st-round pick (TOR), 2022 4th-round pick (TOR); Sharks acquire 2021 4th-round pick (TOR)

10 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

Is the anti-Benning spin going to be about the 4th round pick?  

Because burning a 1st and 3rd for Foligno feels like something JB would get roasted for.

So true. Not to mention that Toronto has supposedly already met their needs for “that kind of player” when they acquired Simmonds and Thornton and Spezza and and and.....

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, SNuck said:

Not bad. Late 1st round and two throw-away picks. 

Yikes.

Throw away picks? Benn, Gudreau, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, etc were all throw away picks.

I actually think it was to much. What Toronto needs but to much imo but it's the deadline so what do you do.

• RoughGame 1

26 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

pretty useful veteran for that price, that's a nice deal for Doobie. 

But thats also a lot to pay for a 4th round pick. The Sharts must have lowballed Yzerman on this one. 

It actually isn’t as bad as it looks once you add it all up.  Same as the Detroit move, this one sent a bunch of real dollars back to Toronto by sending Noesen their way.

About a pro rated 1/4 of $1.375 retained for Foligno is $343k.  Minus 20% escrow equals about $260k in real dollars.

Noesen is $925k in the minors and about 1/4 pro rated of that is $244k.  I don’t actually know if escrow is owed on 1 way deals this season even if players are in the minors.  I recall something coming out saying it was... so that could make it is little less.

So San Jose spent maybe $20-30k to buy a 4th round pick and Detroit it had spent about $120-130k for the same thing yesterday.

Edited by Provost
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Roger Rabby said:

Yikes.

Throw away picks? Benn, Gudreau, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, etc were all throw away picks.

I actually think it was to much. What Toronto needs but to much imo but it's the deadline so what do you do.

Those are the exceptions of course - the chances of getting a solid NHL player after the 3rd round are very small. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

in which we overpaid, everybody know tampa wanted to dump him because of cap space

there's a difference between selling someone to make cap space and "dumping" someone. Miller was a very effective player in his mid 20s in Tampa and wasn't simply a cap dump

• Upvote 1