The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[3-Way Trade] Maple Leafs acquire Nick Folingo, Stefan Noesen; Blue Jackets acquire 2021 1st-round pick (TOR), 2022 4th-round pick (TOR); Sharks acquire 2021 4th-round pick (TOR)

23 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

They are 8-3 vs them and have only given up 2.54 goals against vs them and have 3.18 goals for per game vs them. 

I doubt either team would destroy them. It probably would end up being a tight series. 

Regular season and playoffs are two different animals.

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Regular season and playoffs are two different animals.

Yeah. 

I believe that they’re bound to breakout at some point though and this year has a lot better circumstances. History has shown always at some point you exercise your demons.

This is one of the better teams they’ve iced since the Matthews/Mather era and the potential playoff matchups are a lot more ideal than in past seasons. 

10 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Here's for the Jets kicking their arses out in the 1st round, as per the usual routine for that sorry arse team.  And then UFA Foligno goes off and resigns with the Jackets.  GJG!

It’s what I’ve wanted to do with Edler last time he was on the last year of his deal and right now! He’ll never leave though which is unfortunate because he’d get a chance at a cup and really help the teams future out in the process.

1 hour ago, wallstreetamigo said:

A 1st and a 4th is the price to get him at a quarter or so of his cap hit. Its pricy for sure but the bump up to a 1st is for cap savings more than Foligno himself.

Without the cap savings, Benning would get roasted for such a trade and rightfully so.

Sutter gonna bring in a 1rst from Edmonton! Just pay another team a 4th to retain more on his contract!

32 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

All day every day lol. But the Oilers dont have a 2021 2nd at this time. 

Sutter is not going to be traded bud. He is probably going to be re-signed. I expect 3 years, north of 3 million per, a ntc, and expansion protection guaranteed.

I hope I am wrong.

That's what I'm thinking, because that's Benning doing Benning things #FoundationalPlayer

6 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Yeah. 

I believe that they’re bound to breakout at some point though and this year has a lot better circumstances. History has shown always at some point you exercise your demons.

This is one of the better teams they’ve iced since the Matthews/Mather era and the potential playoff matchups are a lot more ideal than in past seasons. 

They'll break out when they trade Nylander and Rielly for something that's actually useful.

2 hours ago, Provost said:

Well some owners are willing to spend a little jingle to buy 4th round picks.

it is a pretty iffy lottery ticket though, a 3rd has a pretty decent chance of becoming an NHLer... once you get to a late 4th, that is just a long shot.

On the other hand, those kind of picks might be exactly what is used as currency to pick up players who can’t be protected in expansion.

12.5% chance...(3rd rounders).   Late firsts have the about the same odds as any second rounder.    CLB is piling up the picks, cumulatively they should get 1.3 NHLers from their haul on average (not cups of coffee).    Add to what they already have, an average draft means they should could out with 2.8 so let's say 3 NHLers, not a bad haul all considered.   An above average draft maybe 4.    A below average draft 2.   Will be something to look back at any way the dust settles. 

Tampa got Savard for basically the same price.  They didn't even need him really as their defence is stacked.  The Leafs on the other hand have an AHL defence.  They should have went for Savard not Foligno.  Tampa beat them to the punch and with Kucherov coming back right on time for the first playoff game they are the favourites to win the Cup.

2 hours ago, Squamfan said:

in which we overpaid, everybody know tampa wanted to dump him because of cap space

Yes overpaid.   How about Vegas paying a first and a second and a fourth or whatever it was for Tatar and not even using him, or Coleman, or Foligno...or Savard.     Yes that's a great example of a waste of asset management.   Our leading scorer since we picked him up on a Tampa Bay friendly deal, that we could recycle at any point and earn back as much or more then what we paid at any point plus enjoy his services for up to four years.    22-23 overalls have just as much likelihood of making the NHL as all second rounders.   NHL GMs know this.   

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Provost said:

It actually isn’t as bad as it looks once you add it all up.  Same as the Detroit move, this one sent a bunch of real dollars back to Toronto by sending Noesen their way.

About a pro rated 1/4 of $1.375 retained for Foligno is $343k.  Minus 20% escrow equals about $260k in real dollars.

Noesen is $925k in the minors and about 1/4 pro rated of that is $244k.  I don’t actually know if escrow is owed on 1 way deals this season even if players are in the minors.  I recall something coming out saying it was... so that could make it is little less.

So San Jose spent maybe $20-30k to buy a 4th round pick and Detroit it had spent about $120-130k for the same thing yesterday.

wow, didn't realize it was that cheap. 

Toronto just keeps getting older.....

All I can say... is a cup run for the Leafs is going to be a lottttttta miles on some of those older bodies like Thornton, Spezza, Foligno, Simmonds..... if this is their all in move..... they shoulda went all in on Hall and went for a run and gun cup run. Not add another aging vet.... they’ll have a 3rd line of over 110years...  

Something along the lines Kerfoot+1st rnd pick+prospect to Buffalo for Hall @ 50%?

top 6 

Hall - Matthews - Marner

Hyman - Tavares - Nylander

As good as their top line is, i think they need to go balls deep in the top 6 if they arent going to beef up the blueline... And How long can Campbell keep up the streak? Whats Anderson going to be like when he returns? What happens when the top line gets shut down, I dont see their 2nd line being strong enough as it is now, to win a series. Especially with the Winterpigs 2nd line... and 3rd line...

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, knucklehead91 said:

Toronto just keeps getting older.....

All I can say... is a cup run for the Leafs is going to be a lottttttta miles on some of those older bodies like Thornton, Spezza, Foligno, Simmonds..... if this is their all in move..... they shoulda went all in on Hall and went for a run and gun cup run. Not add another aging vet.... they’ll have a 3rd line of over 110years...  

Something along the lines Kerfoot+1st rnd pick+prospect to Buffalo for Hall @ 50%?

top 6 

Hall - Matthews - Marner

Hyman - Tavares - Nylander

As good as their top line is, i think they need to go balls deep in the top 6 if they arent going to beef up the blueline... And How long can Campbell keep up the streak? Whats Anderson going to be like when he returns? What happens when the top line gets shut down, I dont see their 2nd line being strong enough as it is now, to win a series. Especially with the Winterpigs 2nd line... and 3rd line...

They have two lines.    Mathews and Tavares is one of the best one two punches in the league and their bottom six is impressive too.    Hate to say this but TO might win a cup this year. 

• Haha 2

Most of the Ontario born hockey players dream of playing for the Leafs.  They all go home to roost after their prime years.  

Too bad the B.C. born hockey players don't think much of returning home to play for the Canucks except for  Hamhuis, Benn and the Courtnalls.   Maybe Connor Bedard will come home to his favorite province.

The Laughs might make it to the 3rd round of the playoffs.

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

They have two lines.    Mathews and Tavares is one of the best one two punches in the league and their bottom six is impressive too.    Hate to say this but TO might win a cup this year. 

Im not entirely sold on their 2 lines... and their bottom 6 is pretty old and slow. Sure they have experience, but they’ve lost a few steps.

Can have 2 great centres, but you need wingers on each side to complete a line.

Im not sold on Hyman as a top 6, Tavares is good, but foot speed has always been his knock.

Their current top 6 vs Tampas top 6.... without Kucherov..... and then look at it with Kucherov.

Adding Foligno doesnt put them over the top. Maybe it makes them better within the division...but being the best in the division doesnt mean you’re going to handle a team like Tampa, Colorado, Vegas, Florida, Carolina, Pittsburgh, Washington, Islanders

They need to either go all in on the top 6 or make a big move on the back end