The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[3-Way Trade] Maple Leafs acquire Nick Folingo, Stefan Noesen; Blue Jackets acquire 2021 1st-round pick (TOR), 2022 4th-round pick (TOR); Sharks acquire 2021 4th-round pick (TOR)

This is a very interesting / entertaining deal.

I'd be surprised that there isn't more discussion around it - but I imagine the gaggles of Leaf-blowers around here are having a hard time working on their spin on this one...   Instead, not surprisingly, it's a not so subtle shift of gears to fluff the team that took their futures lol.

1st

4th

4th

to rent Foligno.

Hmm.  Good target for a postseason - but that's a heavier price than Toffoli cost...

I mean I like the target - the Leafs needed a center that can handle hard minutes, kill penalties, win faceoffs - and hopefully in the process free Tavares so that he doesn't become a rented mule in the playoffs once again. 

They got next best - they got a secondary penalty killer, a 47% faceoff guy (not really a natural center but a winger)...but at least a guy that can handle hard minutes.   I like his general fit there - but the price is pretty steep for a guy that's been a 30 pt player throughout his 30s (4 years)...

The entertaining part - all those genius cap gymnastics that were fluffed by the DoobieBros..... and the oh-so-brilliant result is.....

A 1st, 4th and 4th for a veteran depth forward rental.

Just do it like the Leafs?

Not sure they have much choice.  They painted themselves into a closing cap window - and they've spent their picks like a contender with a short and open window.  At least it's a short season where they don't have as much time to go into their patented tailspin.

Best of luck to the Leafs though.  If they make it out of the North - I hope they take out the South.

If... if this team can find chemistry during the playoffs, look the puck out. 

Spezza, Jumbo and Nick provide a ton of experience, leadership and all the tricks you can stuff into a bag big enough to for a Cup. 

I like the Jets too, but I don’t think they’re going to ever do anything over there, they’re cursed too or something. 

On 4/14/2021 at 6:22 PM, oldnews said:

This is a very interesting / entertaining deal.

I'd be surprised that there isn't more discussion around it - but I imagine the gaggles of Leaf-blowers around here are having a hard time working on their spin on this one...   Instead, not surprisingly, it's a not so subtle shift of gears to fluff the team that took their futures lol.

1st

4th

4th

to rent Foligno.

Hmm.  Good target for a postseason - but that's a heavier price than Toffoli cost...

I mean I like the target - the Leafs needed a center that can handle hard minutes, kill penalties, win faceoffs - and hopefully in the process free Tavares so that he doesn't become a rented mule in the playoffs once again. 

They got next best - they got a secondary penalty killer, a 47% faceoff guy (not really a natural center but a winger)...but at least a guy that can handle hard minutes.   I like his general fit there - but the price is pretty steep for a guy that's been a 30 pt player throughout his 30s (4 years)...

The entertaining part - all those genius cap gymnastics that were fluffed by the DoobieBros..... and the oh-so-brilliant result is.....

A 1st, 4th and 4th for a veteran depth forward rental.

Just do it like the Leafs?

Not sure they have much choice.  They painted themselves into a closing cap window - and they've spent their picks like a contender with a short and open window.  At least it's a short season where they don't have as much time to go into their patented tailspin.

Best of luck to the Leafs though.  If they make it out of the North - I hope they take out the South.

Dubas hasn't been too shy about trading 1st rounders so I am really not surprised at the trade. At least they targeted the right kind of player. I fully expected them to trade for Taylor Hall with that 1st.

Dubas is fortunate that really the only way it will probably even be borderline questioned is if the Leafs have their patented 1st round bed $&!#ting meltdown again. Even if they make it to the 2nd round and get bounced, you know the TO media machine will be trumpeting it as a huge step forward.

I know I gain a lot of joy out of their 1st round meltdowns and am hoping for another one. But realistically speaking they have a decent chance this year.  And like you said, don't have much time for an end of season collapse especially against such a weak division.