The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Would Vancouverites and Torontonians reacted the same way? (Two situations)

Rate this topic

Would Vancouverites and Torontonians reacted the same way?  (Two situations)

1) Both the Toronto Blue Jays and Toronto Raptors have won championships and yet the Leafs are the most revered team in Toronto.   Guys like Kahwi Leonard, Roberto Alomar, and Joe Carter aren’t as revered as Doug Gilmour and Wendel Clark.    If the situation was reversed however (I.e. Vancouver had an MLB and NBA team that won a world championship), do you think those teams and those players would be held in higher regard than the Sedins, Bure, Linden, etc?   By virtue of having won a championship in a major sport, would basketball and baseball eclipse the popularity of hockey in Vancouver?

2) Toronto has an MLB team and most baseball fans in Vancouver list the Blue Jays as their favorite team due to the Jays being a Canadian-based MLB franchise.   Most fans in Vancouver cheer the Blue Jays over the Mariners.   National Pride in this instance, takes precedence over geographical proximity.    If the situation was reversed however, and Vancouver and Buffalo had MLB teams (and no Seattle or Toronto), do you think most Torontonians would cheer Vancouver’s baseball team over Buffalo’s?   Would National Pride take precedence over geographical proximity?

My answers to my own questions for #1 and #2 are as follows:

1) By virtue of winning championships, Baseball and basketball will have superseded hockey for a short amount of time in Vancouver, in terms of its popularity, but this popularity would once again be surpassed by hockey if the teams from these sports were unable to keep their winning ways.   So in other words, baseball and basketball will have superseded hockey (unlike in Toronto), but only for a short amount of time.  Having said that, guys like Alomar, Carter, and Kawhi Leonard would be considered bigger legends in Vancouver than Smyl, Linden, Bure, and the twins by virtue of having won (unlike in Toronto where Gilmour and Clark are still the two biggest sporting legends in TO).  

2) I think most Torontonians would support Buffalo over Vancouver If Vancouver and Buffalo had MLB teams while Toronto didn’t.   It wouldn’t even be close in my opinion.   I’d say 90-95% of baseball fans in Toronto would gravitate towards Buffalo over Vancouver.

5 minutes ago, internationalhippy said:

I don't know about now but I always felt bc was more lakers fans than raptors fans. 

Not true.  Lots or Raptors fans here. Hell when I went to a music festival in Washington I arrived there during game 6 vs GS and it was wild. Everybody paused setting up their tents and crap to tune in to them win. A lot of Raptors merchandise was worn. 

The Americans didn’t like us very much. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DarkIndianRises said:

Would Vancouverites and Torontonians reacted the same way?  (Two situations)

1) Both the Toronto Blue Jays and Toronto Raptors have won championships and yet the Leafs are the most revered team in Toronto.   Guys like Kahwi Leonard, Roberto Alomar, and Joe Carter aren’t as revered as Doug Gilmour and Wendel Clark.    If the situation was reversed however (I.e. Vancouver had an MLB and NBA team that won a world championship), do you think those teams and those players would be held in higher regard than the Sedins, Bure, Linden, etc?   By virtue of having won a championship in a major sport, would basketball and baseball eclipse the popularity of hockey in Vancouver?

2) Toronto has an MLB team and most baseball fans in Vancouver list the Blue Jays as their favorite team due to the Jays being a Canadian-based MLB franchise.   Most fans in Vancouver cheer the Blue Jays over the Mariners.   National Pride in this instance, takes precedence over geographical proximity.    If the situation was reversed however, and Vancouver and Buffalo had MLB teams (and no Seattle or Toronto), do you think most Torontonians would cheer Vancouver’s baseball team over Buffalo’s?   Would National Pride take precedence over geographical proximity?

My answers to my own questions for #1 and #2 are as follows:

1) By virtue of winning championships, Baseball and basketball will have superseded hockey for a short amount of time in Vancouver, in terms of its popularity, but this popularity would once again be surpassed by hockey if the teams from these sports were unable to keep their winning ways.   So in other words, baseball and basketball will have superseded hockey (unlike in Toronto), but only for a short amount of time.  Having said that, guys like Alomar, Carter, and Kawhi Leonard would be considered bigger legends in Vancouver than Smyl, Linden, Bure, and the twins by virtue of having won (unlike in Toronto where Gilmour and Clark are still the two biggest sporting legends in TO).  

2) I think most Torontonians would support Buffalo over Vancouver If Vancouver and Buffalo had MLB teams while Toronto didn’t.   It wouldn’t even be close in my opinion.   I’d say 90-95% of baseball fans in Toronto would gravitate towards Buffalo over Vancouver.

I believe a certain percentage of Vancouverites will gravitate towards the Kraken over the Canucks. But I'll always be a Canuck fan.

1 minute ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

I believe a certain percentage of Vancouverites will gravitate towards the Kraken over the Canucks. But I'll always be a Canuck fan.

I think once the rivalry heats up most Canuck fans will be able to find reasons to dislike the Kraken. A few will probably change allegiances but most of us won’t mind them leaving. Good riddance!

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

I think once the rivalry heats up most Canuck fans will be able to find reasons to dislike the Kraken. A few will probably change allegiances but most of us won’t mind them leaving. Good riddance!

I'd hate to see Vancouver lose a game against the Kraken. But I will not have nearly as much hate as I have towards Edmonton/Calgary and Toronto. Maybe if we lost to them in the Conference Finals. 

• Vintage 1

I"m probably in the minority but MLB has been dead to me when the Expos owner pulled a Michael Heisley (though I was happy for the Blue Jays win).  In a similair vein, same with the Raptors (eg., the whole Grizzlies fiasco).

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

12 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Like who else grabbed their own butt while celebrating a World Series victory

Big-Reads-Jays-93-Carter-jumps.jpg

The early 1990's Blue Jays were easy to cheer for. Now I don't care for them, like at all. I'd rather see the long suffering Mariners fans get rewarded. 

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I"m probably in the minority but MLB has been dead to me when the Expos owner pulled a Michael Heisley (though I was happy for the Blue Jays win).  In a similair vein, same with the Raptors (eg., the whole Grizzlies fiasco).

I think what hurts is the fact that TFC has won an MLS championship before the Whitecaps. 

Then again I wish Vancouver was run as well as the Sounders. 

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Dunno that I agree with this. Joe Carter is pretty god like in TO. 

Not a basketball fan so I can't speak to that one. 

He’s a god in TO but he’s not held in the same regard as Doug Gilmour and Wendel Clark over there.  Atleast from I see/saw.   In Vancouver however, I think Carter would easily be our most revered hero if Carter had hit that homer for a Vancouver MLB team.

6 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I think what hurts is the fact that TFC has won an MLS championship before the Whitecaps. 

Then again I wish Vancouver was run as well as the Sounders. 

Imagine if the Aquilini's owned the Whitecaps.  They wouldn't be 'selling' players for transfer fees & pocketing a good chunk of the money themselves.

People can get on the Aquilini's case all they want but you can never accuse them of not putting money back into the team (and then some).

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Cheers 3

The NBA is dead to me.

That league just cares about money. There's no loyalty to fans in a city. Seattle knows that feeling well. 

I knew the moment the Grizzlies were sold to an owner from Chicago the writing was on the wall.

(I expected the Grizzlies to be a second Chicago team to be honest. But to move to Memphis. Damn.)

• Cheers 1