The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Kings trade Jeff Carter to Penguins for conditional 2022 3rd-round pick, conditional 2023 4th-round pick

10 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

It’d be unfortunate but at the end of the day it’s a business. Benning is sacrificing his future and letting assets pass him by which might help extend his job or discovering added talent for his teams future. These guys are getting paid millions if they have to move it’s all part of the business. I’ll be very disappointed if he doesn’t trade anybody and that was the reason. I’d rather him tell me teams didn’t want to deal with him.

JB making up excuses to have an easy deadline - lol.  All kidding aside, hockey is a business but I get his unwillingness- if true.

1 hour ago, ShawnAntoski said:

JB making up excuses to have an easy deadline - lol.  All kidding aside, hockey is a business but I get his unwillingness- if true.

Well I mean every player in the league is going through a pandemic and there are still guys getting traded. If Benning is the only GM on a non playoff team not trying to trade upcoming free agents I’d be pretty sad.

2 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

Well I mean every player in the league is going through a pandemic and there are still guys getting traded. If Benning is the only GM on a non playoff team not trying to trade upcoming free agents I’d be pretty sad.

The AG trade, seems to indicate a Sutter signing is coming (of course, I am speculating) with perhaps JV, being shipped for peanuts.   Very different from the way TB does there asset management.  Oh well, nothing new with JB - no trades for assets and will let them walk due to our cap situation, same story as last year.  Anyways, CGC !

14 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

The AG trade, seems to indicate a Sutter signing is coming (of course, I am speculating) with perhaps JV, being shipped for peanuts.   Very different from the way TB does there asset management.  Oh well, nothing new with JB - no trades for assets and will let them walk due to our cap situation, same story as last year.  Anyways, CGC !

Last year we were in a playoff situation so you can’t really sell but the years you’re out of it you have to sell those expiring guys. It’s how you kind of retool on the fly by bringing in more lottery chances with guys that are most likely leaving. Frustrating every off year when these guys aren’t moved.

22 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Last year we were in a playoff situation so you can’t really sell but the years you’re out of it you have to sell those expiring guys. It’s how you kind of retool on the fly by bringing in more lottery chances with guys that are most likely leaving. Frustrating every off year when these guys aren’t moved.

Yeah, it seems JB is burned out or disinterested at this point (just speculating of course) but some of the moves of poor asset management (with his experience) are head scratchers cause other teams seems to recognize where there team is on the developmental curve and will make the appropriate move(s) to build the team.  

Imo, there is more to the AG trade cause it seems he needed to make this move; thus, he undersold based on the return.

As a fan and a JB supporter, today’s move seems to indicate a GM that is disinterested/burned out cause he seems to be not be very creative in any of his more recent decision(s) but rather just reverting back to what he knows will work ?

1 hour ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Yeah, it seems JB is burned out or disinterested at this point (just speculating of course) but some of the moves of poor asset management (with his experience) are head scratchers cause other teams seems to recognize where there team is on the developmental curve and will make the appropriate move(s) to build the team.  

Imo, there is more to the AG trade cause it seems he needed to make this move; thus, he undersold based on the return.

As a fan and a JB supporter, today’s move seems to indicate a GM that is disinterested/burned out cause he seems to be not be very creative in any of his more recent decision(s) but rather just reverting back to what he knows will work ?

We also don't know if Gaudette's wife/Gaudette wanted to get out of the drama from the podcast thing. She royally screwed up by talking about COVID precautions like that.

On 4/12/2021 at 12:46 PM, Dazzle said:

We also don't know if Gaudette's wife/Gaudette wanted to get out of the drama from the podcast thing. She royally screwed up by talking about COVID precautions like that.

Yeah, that rumour is out there (not sure if it has been confirmed) but give it time (?)....

• Cheers 1

On 4/11/2021 at 7:52 PM, Coconuts said:

LA must be retaining, Carter's owed 5m+ next season. Interesting add for the Pens, he's not the player he was but he brings a wealth of experience. 

Edit: Owed 2m, but the 5m+ cap hit remains. 

LA retained 50%.  Cap friendly showing Carter as a 2.6 cap hit.  Pitt gets away without having to give up a 1st - like the Laffs did.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

LA retained 50%.  Cap friendly showing Carter as a 2.6 cap hit.  Pitt gets away without having to give up a 1st - like the Laffs did.

Makes sense, solid move for both sides

As much as they wanna go for it while Crosby and Malkin can play high end hockey, they need to hold on to those 1st round picks as they'll have to start preparing for life without them sooner than later