The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Sabres trade Taylor Hall, Curtis Lazar to Bruins for Andres Bjork, 2021 2nd-round pick

15 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Good point but on the record it shows our pick as 2nd & 3rd but I can't complain too much about a few of our 2nd OA picks: Linden, Daniel and Nedved...

Yeah Nedved didn't really pan out though. Jagr or Sydor would have been better picks. Antoski instead of Tkachuk or Brodeur was pretty bad too. 

Slightly different drafting could have put the team over the top. At least the team got Gino out of it. The fact guys like Bondra was available in the 8th round in 1990 just shows how sick that draft was. 

1 hour ago, coryberg said:

Actually, we had 1st overall 22 years ago in the 1999 entry draft. We traded it to the thrashers for 2nd overall and a 3rd.

It wasn't our first overall, though. We traded for it.

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Yeah Nedved didn't really pan out though. Jagr or Sydor would have been better picks. Antoski instead of Tkachuk or Brodeur was pretty bad too. 

Slightly different drafting could have put the team over the top. At least the team got Gino out of it. The fact guys like Bondra was available in the 8th round in 1990 just shows how sick that draft was. 

Nedveds value was helping get the finishing pieces on the 94 run, and one of our best (and the best to date) regular seasons ever in 93 where several club records were made (plus minus Murzyn/Ward, goals for, biggest differential etc)  would be like getting 113ish points today with loser points.  Jagr was never coming here he made that perfectly clear to all GMs with the exception of PIT who in secret said he'd come if they drafted him because he wanted to play with Mario...but yes pretty sick draft.    

Edited by IBatch
4 hours ago, IBatch said:

Nedveds value was helping get the finishing pieces on the 94 run, and one of our best (and the best to date) regular seasons ever in 93 where several club records were made (plus minus Murzyn/Ward, goals for, biggest differential etc)  would be like getting 113ish points today with loser points.  Jagr was never coming here he made that perfectly clear to all GMs with the exception of PIT who in secret said he'd come if they drafted him because he wanted to play with Mario...but yes pretty sick draft.    

Nice context on Jagr: not liking Vancouver; shoulda still drafted him and did a Forsberg, if Iam a GM. 

Edit: I meant to say Lindros not Forsberg

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Hydration 2
6 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Nice context on Jagr: not liking Vancouver; shoulda still drafted him and did a Forsberg, if Iam a GM. 

He wasn't like Lindros.   There really wasn't a big hype machine about him at the time.   Nedved was an ok pick, was coming off a 38 goal season on the second line....i was pretty pissed about him holding out and even more pissed about the return back then.   There was no denying the team missed his offense (we were .500 that year, totally underachieving after our awesome 93 season, we made it really tough on LA and Gretzky in the second round )and that we were supposed to build off that.    

We did end up doing exactly that in the end over a lot of drama with Nedved ... Brown was a missing piece - and Hedican turned out pretty good too (without checking i'm guessing Hedican played more NHL games then Nedved did).   And if only Lafayette didn't miss on what was a wide open net and sure goal for us in game 7...

5 hours ago, Nucksownyou said:

It wasn't our first overall, though. We traded for it.

Actually we had the third overall that year, below is a link to how Burke acquired the second pick as well and made a deal with the Thrashers that they would not pick a Sedin with their first pick...

https://globalnews.ca/news/2775878/how-brian-burkes-dealmaking-brought-the-sedins-to-the-vancouver-canucks/

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Still Nedved did manage to get 99 points in a season for the Pens so it's not like he was bust (just under 1000 NHL games & 700+ points for his NHL career).  He was the "safer" pick than Jagr as Nedved put up tons of points in a tough WHL league before being drafted.  Plus cold war was still on I think (so you never knew when or if Jagr would come over).  I could understand the logic/reasoning why the Canucks chose Nedved over Jagr back then.  

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
3 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Still Nedved did manage to get 99 points in a season for the Pens so it's not like he was bust (just under 1000 NHL games & 700+ points for his NHL career).  He was the "safer" pick than Jagr as Nedved put up tons of points in a tough WHL league before being drafted.  Plus cold war was still on I think (so you never knew when or if Jagr would come over).  I could understand the logic/reasoning why the Canucks chose Nedved over Jagr back then.  

I do understand the why as well. But I've never seen a more insanely skilled player, with so little motivation. Sydor may not have put up the points. But having another solid d-man would long term might have been the better option. Canucks always seem to pass on good WHL defensemen. 

• Hydration 1
15 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I do understand the why as well. But I've never seen a more insanely skilled player, with so little motivation. Sydor may not have put up the points. But having another solid d-man would long term might have been the better option. Canucks always seem to pass on good WHL defensemen. 

Generally the Canucks have always missed out on prospects in our backyard (problem not just limited to the time of Gillis, as this issue has gone on for literally multiple decades).  Even a guy like Grabner (one time WHL prospect) seems to have that same issue you mentioned (all the talent but for whatever the reason, seemingly motivational issues causing him to have inconsistancy [witness all the NHL teams he's been on]).

• Hydration 1
58 minutes ago, IBatch said:

He wasn't like Lindros.   There really wasn't a big hype machine about him at the time.   Nedved was an ok pick, was coming off a 38 goal season on the second line....i was pretty pissed about him holding out and even more pissed about the return back then.   There was no denying the team missed his offense (we were .500 that year, totally underachieving after our awesome 93 season, we made it really tough on LA and Gretzky in the second round )and that we were supposed to build off that.    

We did end up doing exactly that in the end over a lot of drama with Nedved ... Brown was a missing piece - and Hedican turned out pretty good too (without checking i'm guessing Hedican played more NHL games then Nedved did).   And if only Lafayette didn't miss on what was a wide open net and sure goal for us in game 7...

The agony of the ping. 

• Sad 1
5 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

The agony of the ping. 

Crazy that our history came down to two misses....so close to a cup ... Lafayette and Ronning both so close to winning the cup in regulation.   Right down to the last face off in their zone with seconds on the clock it felt like destiny.   Still the best final in modern history according to hockey historians (since expansion), only two goals separated the entire series.   The best think Mark Messier ever did for us was complimenting the fact the quality of competition was so great for them to win.   Stings a little still.   But wow what a ride. 

• Hydration 1
3 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Crazy that our history came down to two misses....so close to a cup ... Lafayette and Ronning both so close to winning the cup in regulation.   Right down to the last face off in their zone with seconds on the clock it felt like destiny.   Still the best final in modern history according to hockey historians (since expansion), only two goals separated the entire series.   The best think Mark Messier ever did for us was complimenting the fact the quality of competition was so great for them to win.   Stings a little still.   But wow what a ride. 

That extra day of rest for the older Ranger team made the diference!

After that I became willing to listen to people talk about reffing. Not just their missed calls, due to incompetence, but the idea there might be a league imposed "finger on the scale".