The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Sutter and Benn on the market

Well that's good that other teams are enquiring... but I'm personally not expecting anything to happen given Benning's comments that he expects things to be quiet for the Canucks today.  If teams are offering something of value for two players becoming UFAs this summer and who may be wiling to move, then I would hope management takes some action to at least try to finalize something. 

• Vintage 1

I am not going to blame Benning for not trading them under these conditions.

(I will still blame him on not proactively trying to trade players weeks ago).

If Sutter’s little kids and pregnant wife are still down with Covid caused by infection at his workplace, then it would be a huge douche move to trade him.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Provost said:

If Sutter’s little kids and pregnant wife are still down with Covid caused by infection at his workplace, then it would be a huge douche move to trade him.

Missed that story about Sutter's family.  That's brutal.  Have to agree that would not be good to move Sutter in this situation.

7 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

Missed that story about Sutter's family.  That's brutal.  Have to agree that would not be good to move Sutter in this situation.

Ya... his Dad shared that last week.

They could all be fine now, but really not enough time has passed to know that for sure yet.  Maybe trading him to Alberta would be OK, his kids aren’t school aged so they could go somewhere that has extended family to help out.

2 minutes ago, Top Sven Baercheese said:

Business is business. Everyone has been affected by covid and isn't making millions of dollars. Trade these guys. 

Well pissing off a bunch of his friends who you have to negotiate contracts with in the millions of dollars in very short order seems like really bad business.

In real life, business is about relationships... not trying to &^@# people over as much as you can.

Edited by Provost
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

Makes sense as both players would have value to a cup contender. Will come down to a conversation between the players and JB. But really, neither player have a cup and our upcoming schedule isn't attractive at all. Perhaps they welcome the chance at a cup. 

5 minutes ago, Top Sven Baercheese said:

Business is business. Everyone has been affected by covid and isn't making millions of dollars. Trade these guys. 

And you treat people like people-with respect.  If JB touches base with these guys and has a place both/their families are ok with going to you do the trade.  

• Cheers 3

4 minutes ago, Top Sven Baercheese said:

Agree 100%. If Benning fails to unload some players for assets in this disastrous season he should be fired. This is a team that is spending above cap, going to miss playoffs and has 0 extra draft picks. For the GM of a team like this to say his guys have been through enough tells me he doesn't use his head when making decisions. That's backed by the 3 year deal he handed to a player with 11pts this season.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Provost said:

Check out the history regarding the Peter Zezel trade involving Burke.

11 minutes ago, Provost said:

Well pissing off a bunch of his friends who you have to negotiate contracts with in the millions of dollars in very short order seems like really bad business.

In real life, business is about relationships... not trying to &^@# people over as much as you can.

Funny how people don’t understand this. No one wants to be part of an organization that just throws their players under the bus. 

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Kenny Blankenship said:

Funny how people don’t understand this. No one wants to be part of an organization that just throws their players under the bus. 

There are limits... like you can throw a guy in the minors for it performing (eg. Eriksson) without players thinking less of you.  You can trade players who don’t want to be traded.

There are things that are beyond hockey though and this is one of them.

Like I said, maybe the family is better.  Maybe Sutter is even OK taking a run at a Cup somewhere... but you don’t trade him if those things aren’t true.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1