Canucks Community

Employees being tracked by their own phones:

Gurn

9 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

1. Buy burner phone.

2. Install app on the burner phone.

3. Put phone inside my desk at work.

4. Go live my life.

^ this. Ebay the cheapest thing you can find that runs the app. Turn it off when you leave work. 

If I had a cell phone, I'd tell the employer I can rent them some space in my phone for their app.

It will be $400 a month, payable on the first day of each month.

Just as they are concerened about "free loaders" so I show my concern. Nobody rides for free.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Or just leave it on. At your next review, they’ll be praising you for practically living at the office. Might even get promoted. ;) 

employers like this are dumb imo. Just because a butt is in the seat it means very little. I mean they could be on CDC all day.... 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

employers like this are dumb imo. Just because a butt is in the seat it means very little. I mean they could be on CDC all day.... 

Totally agree. If an employee’s productivity is high, they do good quality work, and have good interpersonal skills and are part of the team, who cares where they do their work, how long they sit at their desk, or when and how many breaks they take. They’re people, not machines.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Totally agree. If an employee’s productivity is high, they do good quality work, and have good interpersonal skills and are part of the team, who cares where they do their work, how long they sit at their desk, or when and how many breaks they take. They’re people, not machines.

its self defeating. I remember an office nazi who demanded our senior manager implement this. It really killed the pleasure of going to work. HR really takes the human part out and makes you feel like a resource. 

59 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

its self defeating. I remember an office nazi who demanded our senior manager implement this. It really killed the pleasure of going to work. HR really takes the human part out and makes you feel like a resource. 

It's also debatable whether it's actually good for the company.

Talented people will see it as a huge strike against working there and opt to go somewhere else. The micromanagers end up getting the people who are desperate for the job, instead of the best people.

I work in IT and right now, we have team members from India, the US, Spain, Brazil and the Philippines. I doubt any of them would have traveled to the NW corner of BC, if they had been told, "oh and by the way, we require you to download this app so we know where you are at all times"....

• Vintage 1