The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Adam Gaudette to Blackhawks for Matthew Highmore

8 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Funny how a lot of Benning loyalists are suddenly trashing Gauds right now.

Benning haters and loyalists are stupid terms.  

I’d be fine with a new GM and I don’t like that we sold low.  

I don’t mind most of his moves though. 

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

Look.

I get and understand the argument and possible position of this regarding covid and attitudes around it.  I even get the owner may have stepped in.

But this LITERALLY looks and appears like you dangled an attractive young asset and took the first stolen bike a meth addict offered you.  Have been researching Highmore and there is nothing, like literally nothing that makes him stand out.

Average skater.  mediocre face off numbers.  Mediocre on ice numbers.  Only shining moment was a goal in the playoffs.

If this is literally the best Benning could get for Gaudette who is around a .3 ppg sophomore in his career thus far and shown to arrive for big games on a team lacking any sort of centre depth at the moment than he's absolutely validated the comments about his inability to manage his assets or make viable trades towards the long term health and future of this team.

Again, I feel as though this was a trade for the sake of making a trade and once the name was out there the first offer thrown looks like it was accepted

I could have saved you time, my favorite NHL moment of him is today’s trade.

Guys remember that Gaudette sucks and his flash-in-the-pan decent point total last year isn't gonna fool professional GMs and scouts. Dude's soft and is terribly defensively

Highmore seems like another potential  Motte/Hawryluk. Benning's fav lol. Not a huge improvement but IMO better than nothing, plus has another year at 725k so v. cheap bottom six player like y'all wished for

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Funny how a lot of Benning loyalists are suddenly trashing Gauds right now.

I'm a Benning loyalist (I think) but it's hard to understand/defend this trade.

Basically, we got a depth bottom 6 player by giving up a player who put up > 0.5 PPG last season... the only possible explanation is if Highmore is going to be like Motte and we wanted to get better defensively especially if Sutter is going to be traded.

The justification that there is cap crunch next season and Gaud is going to get a raise doesn't make all that much sense given the season Gaudette is putting up right now.

It's one of those trades where you trade away offensive skill for team defence but Gaudette still has too much of an upside that I just don't like this trade.

• Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

Unless we get evidence that the Gaudettes broke protocol and gave the whole team covid, this feels like JB knows his getting fired soon and sabotaging and setting the firm on fire on his way out. 

Nobody would do something this petty. JB hasn’t done anything to suggest he would do something even remotely close to this. 

• Upvote 2

Positive spin = GMJB playing chess when we’re all playing checkers. Gaudettes wife gave Canucks covid. Got rid of Gaudette before losing him in expansion draft. Highmore is Motte 2.0 and has been playing out of position as a LW and will now dominate because bottom 6 players are so hard to find. 

Negative spin = too easy. 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Josepho said:

I don't think Gaudette is some great piece or whatever, and the people who think that that's why people are upset misunderstand.

It's

A ) Another situation where we're selling low on a player

B ) Another situation where we're trading for someone with literally zero upside

C ) Another situation where Benning is targetting someone he liked out of junior 4 years ago, ignoring recent developments making the player have no value

Combined with the Pearson transaction, he literally never learns.

LOL I didn't agree with you previously but these last 2 moves are starting to make me worry we are seeing a repetitive behaviour. I was hoping all the bad signings and moves would be behind him now that we have a good young core. 

Just now, Coconuts said:

I wonder if Gaudette requested a trade, his wife has been getting flack of late.

Something smells here for sure.

I think it's pretty clear Benning wanted to get rid of him today, just don't know why.

1 minute ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Benning haters and loyalists are stupid terms.  

I’d be fine with a new GM and I don’t like that we sold low.  

I don’t mind most of his moves though. 

I'd say they filled a need for a solid bottom 6 fwd that Gaud couldn't fill.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Look.

I get and understand the argument and possible position of this regarding covid and attitudes around it.  I even get the owner may have stepped in.

But this LITERALLY looks and appears like you dangled an attractive young asset and took the first stolen bike a meth addict offered you.  Have been researching Highmore and there is nothing, like literally nothing that makes him stand out.

Average skater.  mediocre face off numbers.  Mediocre on ice numbers.  Only shining moment was a goal in the playoffs.

If this is literally the best Benning could get for Gaudette who is around a .3 ppg sophomore in his career thus far and shown to arrive for big games on a team lacking any sort of centre depth at the moment than he's absolutely validated the comments about his inability to manage his assets or make viable trades towards the long term health and future of this team.

Again, I feel as though this was a trade for the sake of making a trade and once the name was out there the first offer thrown looks like it was accepted

it has to be, this trade makes no sense, and i hope this gets JB fired..but doubt it will.....one can pray, some people saying we know nothing of highmoore , well hes had years to prove ppl wrong, and hasnt, atleast adam got a 33 point season and had more potential than this mathew kid

It's fine to trade Gaudette and it's fine to want a player like Highmore.  But a year ago, you could have probably got a 3rd or something of equivalent value (both of which are higher than Highmore's value).

Like most things with the management team, the timing and lack of planning has done them in.