The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Adam Gaudette to Blackhawks for Matthew Highmore

2 hours ago, stawns said:

I'd say the scouting report has Highmore as a Motte-ish player and a good fit for the bottom 6.  He also had 4 points in 9 games for the Hawks in the playoff bubble.  Just maybe it's not quite as bad as people think it is

Good observation. The problem with CDC is that as a group we tend to overvalue our players while claiming the incoming player is a dud, a useless scrub who doesn't belong in the league. The facts are clear with Gaudette: He did not become the third line, checking centre they were hoping for, because there was no way he'd centre the first or second lines with Bo and Petey ahead of him. He's not big or strong enough to be a power forward and his game in college was to be a scorer. If you can't be a scorer, and you aren't good enough to be a checker, and you can't keep weight on, and your game is not progressing, you are likely to be moved. Happens all the time, with teams all over the league. Gaudette now gets an opportunity to reclaim his career in Chicago and I hope he does, just as I hope Highmore turns into a third or fourth line reliable forward locked up for one more year at $700K. All in all, I trust the scouts and management have been watching Highmore closely and determined that he was fair value for Gaudette. Does anyone on CDC think they know better, based on facts and not emotions nor blind hatred for the Benning regime? 

• Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, Me_ said:

I’m pretty sure it’s a bit more complicated than that.

That nonchalance we saw from the boys at the beginning of the season... it looked awfully like some players didn’t care enough about it and may have found the entire Miller/Benn thing ridiculous. 

If Gaudette or his wife were anywhere near anti-maskers, hey look, the door is right there bud.

The entire team has Covid.

Or maybe that’s just a hockey trade for two players each in need of a change of scenery.

Get off your sanctimonious pedestal with your preaching.

As if masks prevent the transmission of the virus, which must be a baseline stance of any “anti mask” person or narrative.  You may argue their effectiveness, sure, but that’s not your premise here, which is on several pages in here. 

You’re trying to publicly shame the Gawds for having an opinion, which is a variant cancel culture virus.  

I’d rather the brown coats put that mask-muzzle on you, but whatever... continue your slant as the surrogate NPC-voice of the outrage mob, in a hockey trade thread. 

Jim Tomorrow: "you knowwwwwww we tried to get more but theree just wasn't a market for em. Highmore is a young good player and I can see him fit up and down are line up next to petterson you know and stuff." - JIMBO

At this point I think is actually Aqullini trying to mess fans to see what he can get away with lol

• Upvote 1

This trade is so polarizing because it forces some fans to admit they think gaudette is good which then in tern makes some other fans scratch their heads ....

Heck it even shows us which media folks drank the gaudette kool-Aid and who didn’t. I.e macintyre vs bieksa. 

• Cheers 1

I’m glad the Canucks didn’t trade away key future pieces in a delusional attempt to make the play offs this year - so we have that

but it is now clear that a few players Canucks fans thought had some value in fact have no takers full stop -  I didn’t see anyone taking on virtaneen , sutter , or any of our cap dumps. 

Although the gaudette trade makes zero sense I am still happy that the core remains intact - and it should surprise no one that no other team has interest in our castaways. 

1 minute ago, Boudrias said:

Obviously we aren't privy to JB's inside knowledge. As fans we speculate which is a big part of fandom. 

- JB didn't think Gaudette could be a 3rd line regular on a CUP contender. As a center he was suspect on the d-side. Winger? 

- maybe his health issues scared the Canucks off.

- Does Highmore fit on the 4th line? 

I liked Gaudette's speed and shot and tenacity. I didn't like his size or his FO% or his d-side game. I didn't like his snap kick of his bride during their wedding. I wish him well. 

Yeah...

Prognosticating lines next year:

Either they go Lotto line and

Pearson+Horvat+Hoglander as your matchup line..

Or they flatten it out with something like:

Hoglander-Pettersson-Boeser

Podkolzin-Miller-Virtanen

Pearson-Horvat-Motte

I just don’t see the fit for him.  Largely because as much as I like Petey-Miller-Bo I don’t think any are elite enough defensively to offset Gaudette’s two-way downside.  I’d rather roll the dice with Podkolzin or even Jake at this point if they don’t buy him out.

Being financially committed to Virtanen kind of fills the enigmatic winger slot anyways.  Having both of them struggling along with Roussel has killed us this year. 

• Cheers 3

4 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Get off your sanctimonious pedestal with your preaching.

As if masks prevent the transmission of the virus, which must be a baseline stance of any “anti mask” person or narrative.  You may argue their effectiveness, sure, but that’s not your premise here, which is on several pages in here. 

You’re trying to publicly shame the Gawds for having an opinion, which is a variant cancel culture virus.  

I’d rather the brown coats put that mask-muzzle on you, but whatever... continue your slant as the surrogate NPC-voice of the outrage mob, in a hockey trade thread. 

What colour are your cornflakes this mornin?

Have I claimed anywhere that masks prevent anyone from catching Covid? However, to correct your brain on that one, wearing a mask prevents potential Covid particles from being projected at full speed.

YOU can EEven TRY IT at HOME!

PUT PANTS ON NOW, AND TEY TO PISS ON THE WALL IN FRONT OF YOU.

(disclaimer: you will be pissing on yourself 100% of the time, while 99.99% won’t reach the wall)

Feel free to go through all of my posts to see the allovertheplacepostsabouttheanticovidgaudettes.

You shall find but one.

Edited by Me_

1 minute ago, ilduce39 said:

Yeah...

Pearson-Horvat-Motte

I just don’t see the fit for him.  Largely because as much as I like Petey-Miller-Bo I don’t think any are elite enough defensively to offset Gaudette’s two-way downside.  I’d rather roll the dice with Podkolzin or even Jake at this point if they don’t buy him out.

Being financially committed to Virtanen kind of fills the enigmatic winger slot anyways.  Having both of them struggling along with Roussel has killed us this year. 

Those are three pretty strong lines right there

• Cheers 1

1.Can't see Canucks protecting Highmore

2.Can't see him being chosen in expansion draft.

3. Can see him trying to compete for a 4th line spot next year but losing out to someone else in our system.

4. With limited info organizationally, Only positive I can even remotely see is the -225k payroll saving...not including whatever slight raise Gaudette will get next year.

5. Ultimately imo they sold low, made trade for sake of making a trade.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Canucks weren't gonna re sign him so they got something instead of nothing. Clearing out a Judd pick. I see no other reasons to do this trade. 

I think we can all agree that he would be worth at least 1/2 of what Sam Bennett got. (2) 2nd round picks. Hell even a little less than half, A 3rd. This return is literally nothing. I’m not even mad anymore. Just a normal day at the office. 

1 minute ago, Me_ said:

Those are three pretty strong lines right there

I like the look of it but it’s hugely dependant on Virtanen pulling his head out of his butt and Petey regaining his early Datsyukian trajectory... so who knows! 

I’m fairly confident Podkolzin can be a productive middle 6’er though.

1 minute ago, ilduce39 said:

Yeah...

Pearson-Horvat-Motte

Benn is the guy there won't be a fit for next year...and he is still here.

Gaudette is just getting over a debilitating stomach issue that kept him from gaining weight or even just playing at full throttle...

Next year I expect a big jump for him...and Benning will have egg on his face again...! 

1 minute ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Benn is the guy there won't be a fit for next year...and he is still here.

Gaudette is just getting over a debilitating stomach issue that kept him from gaining weight or even just playing at full throttle...

Next year I expect a big jump for him...and Benning will have egg on his face again...! 

Edit...YAH  ....Benn did get traded after alll.....!

• Haha 2