The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Adam Gaudette to Blackhawks for Matthew Highmore

On 5/22/2021 at 6:57 PM, 70seven said:

Seems many are waivering on Hughes after this season.  

seriously?  It’s his second friggen pro season, and playing huge minutes...  cut the kid some slack.  He’s only the most talented defensman the franchise has ever seen. As he gains experience, hes going to mature that part of his game.  It’s not an overnight development.  He needs reps and he’s getting them.  Patience required y’all. 

I've even seen posters rate Rathbone over Quinn. Lmao Rathbones played what 4-6 games? The same crap with Boeser last year, talking trade Boeser ......keep toffolli. Insane.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

On 5/22/2021 at 3:57 PM, 70seven said:

Seems many are waivering on Hughes after this season.  

seriously?  It’s his second friggen pro season, and playing huge minutes...  cut the kid some slack.  He’s only the most talented defensman the franchise has ever seen. As he gains experience, hes going to mature that part of his game.  It’s not an overnight development.  He needs reps and he’s getting them.  Patience required y’all. 

I feel some of these game don’t have a very good understanding of what a young player is. Every fan base has these kind of fans. There’s all sorts of examples of people writing off certain aspects of a young player if not the whole player in general. Same people will have certain expectations of a guy like Rathbone that Old News mentioned. Funny how some people operate.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

On 5/24/2021 at 11:01 AM, oldnews said:

seems like an odd place/thread to drop this into - but who cares.

I agree.  The expectations of Hughes - were/are absurd.  First - he was outstanding in his rookie season - and/but many people seriously underestimated the impact of Tanev.  Second - he struggled without Tanev this year - but further, Hamonic parachuted in exceptionally rusty, really struggled early in the year - and then he too was gone for a long stretch due to injury.  The early stretch of the season was extremely challenging for most young players/teams imo.

Hughes was playing with a revolving door of partners (don't want to be too hard on Benn, who played well, but a replacement D on his off  side is not an ideal partner for Hughes...)    EP played only 26 games (and was still 6th on the team in scoring this season).  Long stretches without their hard minutes centers - and Motte - a lot of 'foundation' lacking this season...not to mention the obvious outbreak....Hughes must have been plain exhausted through stretches of the season - but to his credit, imo his game tightened up a bit as the season progressed, in a good way - and he showed some real signgs of utilizing his strenghts without the puck late in the season.   Some folks believe he was entering his "prime" this season - perhaps in part why some of the expectations are so unrealistic.

The expectations of Rathbone - are likewise - absurd.  Already talk about him taking Edler's minutes next season (no concept of how difficult Edler's minutes are) - and also the assumption that he's already leapfrogged Juolevi.   Folks need to slow down - the excitement is great  - but the pressure and expectations they put on rookies just entering the league - is not helpful or realistic.  It's great timing imo to have a player like Rathbone emerging in one sense - he could be a great #2 pp unit quarterback - and he looks like a player that is likely to stick in the NHL - great skater, poised, intelligent - love his game as well.  But at the same time, the team has three young LHD - so to fit all of them in the lineup, and complement them well - will require a very solid right side.  Myers, Schmidt and (Hamonic? if he's returning) are solid imo - but it puts a lot of hard minutes weighted to those three....I'd expect to see more of a tandem situation among LHD - likely with at least one veteran (Edler returning) to bring some balance to the group (perhaps we see OJ and Rathbone platooned?)

On 5/24/2021 at 11:31 AM, Devron44 said:

I feel some of these game don’t have a very good understanding of what a young player is. Every fan base has these kind of fans. There’s all sorts of examples of people writing off certain aspects of a young player if not the whole player in general. Same people will have certain expectations of a guy like Rathbone that Old News mentioned. Funny how some people operate.

Some folks have trouble seeing through their rose colored glasses. I believe that Hughes will be a very good player, someday... just not today. There are those who choose to take that type of comment as an attack on the future of a player such as Hughes. Meh.

regards,  G.

• Cheers 2

9 minutes ago, Gollumpus said:

Some folks have trouble seeing through their rose colored glasses. I believe that Hughes will be a very good player, someday... just not today. There are those who choose to take that type of comment as an attack on the future of a player such as Hughes. Meh.

regards,  G.

yes - there's a dual thing there for sure.

one being the idea that he's already 'all that' - he's entering his prime - he and a few other 'stars' are carrying, and will carry the team.  our job is to star-gaze and tear the rest of the team apart - it's all the 'fault' of overpaid bottom 6, etc....

the other being that the 'real' Hughes was 'exposed' this year - ermagerd, look at that pluz/minuz...he's one of the worst defensive D in the leaguez - let's deal the kid now - get a 'real D' - (and by extension, before we're stuck with him and a big contract....)

He's 21.  Let's, instead, be real.  He's both 'great' - and has real limits - tons of talent, and will need time to round out various aspects of his game.  Does he have the intelligence and work ethic to improve - ?   I think he does - but I'm not from the future - so I limit my assessment to what has gotten him to this point.

Edited by oldnews
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

• 4 months later...

Let’s bump this up and see how the seasons go for each player.   I watched the Devils/Blackhawks game last night and heard Gudettes names maybe 1 time.  He got 8 minutes of ice time and I think 1 blocked shot. He would have never made the Nucks this year.  Probably will be in Europe next year 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Comet Fan 0727 said:

Let’s bump this up and see how the seasons go for each player.   I watched the Devils/Blackhawks game last night and heard Gudettes names maybe 1 time.  He got 8 minutes of ice time and I think 1 blocked shot. He would have never made the Nucks this year.  Probably will be in Europe next year 

No.

19 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I still think Gaudette was miscast as a center. If moved to the wing I think he could be an effective offensive player. I'd still rather have him than Highmore tbh 

Different roles, no? Highmore is doing a competent job to date but faces the return of Motte and Sutter which will put him on the bench. Gaudette on the otherhand has a anticipated offensive upside which he has not realized yet. He started strong after the trade but this year has played 2 games at -2 +/- and has been scratched 1 game. I understand that this is a superficial take on Gaudette.   

• Cheers 1

On 5/5/2021 at 11:15 AM, wallstreetamigo said:

Stecher has arguably been their best overall dman this year. And he has seemingly suddenly been able to put it all together and played above what the Canucks thought he was. Its almost like the Canucks have no clue how to know what they actually have.

Calgary has their problems but like the Canucks they need a new GM.

What’s Stecher up to these days?

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Patel Bure said:

What’s Stecher up to these days?

I don't think that's very fair tbh. The Wings have some young, talented players on their right side that they probably want to give the ice time too. Obviously Stetch isn't going to displace Hronek or Seider, and even Lindstrom is a guy that's likely in their future plans. Stetcher is small and a bit older, but he's still a good hockey player. If Hughes and Rathbone could play as defensively sound as Stetcher I'd be tickled pink. Severely underrated in his time here. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I don't think that's very fair tbh. The Wings have some young, talented players on their right side that they probably want to give the ice time too. Obviously Stetch isn't going to displace Hronek or Seider, and even Lindstrom is a guy that's likely in their future plans. Stetcher is small and a bit older, but he's still a good hockey player. If Hughes and Rathbone could play as defensively sound as Stetcher I'd be tickled pink. Severely underrated in his time here. 

Bone and Hughes are lightyears ahead of Stecher.  We all love Troy from Richmond.  

40 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Bone and Hughes are lightyears ahead of Stecher.  We all love Troy from Richmond.  

I specified "defensively".

I have high hopes for Rathbone, but he's still a work in progress. He has yet to prove he can be a full time NHL player...his defensive game needs a ton of work. And as far as I know Stetch never racked up a -24 in a single season, let alone a shortened season. 

Stetch is better than both defensively. 

• Cheers 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

But surely, the Wings can find room to insert their "(arguably) best overall dman from last year (source = @wallstreetamigo)" into the line-up can they not?

Or is the narrative that "Benning letting the very underrated Stecher walk as yet another terrible move by management" completely bogus and ridiculous?

• Cheers 2

36 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

I keep waiting for Gustav Forsling and Frank Corrado to become the next Keith and Seabrook.  

Any moment now. Probably tomorrow.

Gadjovich and Lind are real close too.

But Juolevi is best.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Patel Bure said:

But surely, the Wings can find room to insert their "(arguably) best overall dman from last year (source = @wallstreetamigo)" into the line-up can they not?

Or is the narrative that "Benning letting the very underrated Stecher walk as yet another terrible move by management" completely bogus and ridiculous?

Honestly, it wasn't a good move letting Stetch walk for nothing, especially given how little he signed for. How many times was Stetch penciled into a bottom pairing role only to end up getting top 4 minutes by the end of the season? Seems like that happened pretty much every year he was here. And there were certainly years here where he was in the conversation as our best overall defenseman. 

He was a warrior for us, and it saddens me to see this fanbase disrespect him just because he isn't in Canuck colours any more. We should be better than that.

Edited by 48MPHSlapShot
  • Cheers 1