The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Adam Gaudette to Blackhawks for Matthew Highmore

1 hour ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Honestly, it wasn't a good move letting Stetch walk for nothing, especially given how little he signed for. How many times was Stetch penciled into a bottom pairing role only to end up getting top 4 minutes by the end of the season? Seems like that happened pretty much every year he was here. And there were certainly years here where he was in the conversation as our best overall defenseman. 

He was a warrior for us, and it saddens me to see this fanbase disrespect him just because he isn't in Canuck colours any more. We should be better than that.

He served us well when he was here. Heart of a lion. 

Our team is at another stage now though. Wish him the best

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Honestly, it wasn't a good move letting Stetch walk for nothing, especially given how little he signed for. How many times was Stetch penciled into a bottom pairing role only to end up getting top 4 minutes by the end of the season? Seems like that happened pretty much every year he was here. And there were certainly years here where he was in the conversation as our best overall defenseman. 

He was a warrior for us, and it saddens me to see this fanbase disrespect him just because he isn't in Canuck colours any more. We should be better than that.

I liked him a lot, but we already lacked size in our D and he got pushed around in the playoffs despite his effort.  Great guy, didn't fit what the team needed.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Stech was making $2.3 and Benning would have had to give him a raise to keep him.  It's too much to pay for a bottom pairing player.  All the bottom pair guys now are making less than $1M.  Stech is making $1.7 and isn't even in the top 6 on the Wings.

I liked Stech too but he no longer fit with the Canucks

• Cheers 1

I also want to point out that Gaudette is not flourishing so far in Chicago. He only has 8 minutes of playing time. 8 minutes. In two games, he's a -2.

Very small sample. Last season, he actually had a pretty good season (but also a very small sample).

The jury is still out on whether this guy can be a full time NHLer. As of right now, the trade is a win for the Canucks; however, if Gaudette improves, this could change. It's clear that Gaudette had next to no value at the time of the trade.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Dazzle said:

I also want to point out that Gaudette is not flourishing so far in Chicago. He only has 8 minutes of playing time. 8 minutes. In two games, he's a -2.

Very small sample. Last season, he actually had a pretty good season (but also a very small sample).

The jury is still out on whether this guy can be a full time NHLer. As of right now, the trade is a win for the Canucks; however, if Gaudette improves, this could change. It's clear that Gaudette had next to no value at the time of the trade.

He didn’t have trade value mostly due to the Canucks seriously destroying it by trying to turn him into something he isn’t. If they knew he wasn’t going to be the player to fill the hole in the roster they needed to use him to fill, pretty sure they would have gotten a lot more for him the previous offseason after he showed some offense at the NHL level.

Highmore is significantly overrated on cdc. He can skate fast and not much else.

10 hours ago, Patel Bure said:

But surely, the Wings can find room to insert their "(arguably) best overall dman from last year (source = @wallstreetamigo)" into the line-up can they not?

Or is the narrative that "Benning letting the very underrated Stecher walk as yet another terrible move by management" completely bogus and ridiculous?

Stecher on our 3rd pairing right now would probably at least be able to be used more than 12 minutes and pk some so there’s that.

He played very well for Detroit so I stand by my months old comment that he was one of their best overall dmen. 

Edited by wallstreetamigo
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Dazzle said:

Yeah well either way I think this doesn't look good on Benning either way. Either because it means Gaudette was a blue chip prospect that the Canucks failed to develop properly or that Gaudette was never going to be an NHL regardless how he was developed. Either way this is a miss on Gaudette's drafting and developing. 

And the recent misses on Juolevi, Lind, and Gadjovich isn't very encouraging either.

And yes the counter argument here is that "well all GM's and Teams miss out on the draft and their prospects", the difference here other teams can find ways to make up for their drafting misses. Plus with Benning giving up the last 2 1st round picks there was more pressure for one or two of these players to pan out for the team.  

• RoughGame 1

33 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Yeah well either way I think this doesn't look good on Benning either way. Either because it means Gaudette was a blue chip prospect that the Canucks failed to develop properly or that Gaudette was never going to be an NHL regardless how he was developed. Either way this is a miss on Gaudette's drafting and developing. 

And the recent misses on Juolevi, Lind, and Gadjovich isn't very encouraging either.

And yes the counter argument here is that "well all GM's and Teams miss out on the draft and their prospects", the difference here other teams can find ways to make up for their drafting misses. Plus with Benning giving up the last 2 1st round picks there was more pressure for one or two of these players to pan out for the team.  

AG was never a blue chip prospect except in the eyes of us hopeful souls at CDC. Let’s not forget that he was the 28th pick in the 5th round where  less than 10% of 5th rounders will play 100 games, which he has surpassed. No 5th round picks are considered misses. MH was undrafted so zero expectations there. Higher ceiling for Gaudette for sure but I don’t expect either guy to move the needle much and  I doubt either of the two would be picked up if they were put on waivers.

38 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

AG was never a blue chip prospect except in the eyes of us hopeful souls at CDC. Let’s not forget that he was the 28th pick in the 5th round where  less than 10% of 5th rounders will play 100 games, which he has surpassed. No 5th round picks are considered misses. MH was undrafted so zero expectations there. Higher ceiling for Gaudette for sure but I don’t expect either guy to move the needle much and  I doubt either of the two would be picked up if they were put on waivers.

No matter where he was drafted Gaudette was a Hobey Baker award winner so there is a lot of promise there. Even Hockey analysts like Pierre Maguire said Canucks fans should be excited to have him.   

4 hours ago, iinatcc said:

It was not as if Bening gave away two first round picks for free? He got good value for them, to come in and help the team make a push over the next few years... better than hoping for a 1st round pick to come through in 2-3 years time.

Regarding Gaudette... he was a good 5th round pick. So far he has given us Highmore, and that's a borderline NHL player. Books can be written about younger players not living up to expectations. Don't feel the need to dump on management for that. I also still believe the trade wasn't just based on hockey decisions....

Edited by spook007
  • Vintage 1

5 hours ago, iinatcc said:

No matter where he was drafted Gaudette was a Hobey Baker award winner so there is a lot of promise there. Even Hockey analysts like Pierre Maguire said Canucks fans should be excited to have him.   

I was hopeful and excited too but there are far more Hobey Baker winners that never panned out than became stars or even regulars. Take Pierre’s enthusiasm for a player with a grain of salt.

Pierre Maguire - “He’s a Hobey Baker Award winner. This is a player that is NHL ready right now, he’s ready to step in today. This is an extreme,extreme talent.”

….on Jimmy Vesey (drafted round 3, 66th overall)

Lots of hits and misses by PM. Some of his other notable misses: Tyler Biggs (“instant game-changer”), Nail Yakupov (“true can’t miss player”), Angelo Esposito (“I can’t believe the Habs passed on him for Ryan McDonagh”) , Zack Phillips (“not much not to like, fans are going to fall in love with this guy”)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

He didn’t have trade value mostly due to the Canucks seriously destroying it by trying to turn him into something he isn’t. If they knew he wasn’t going to be the player to fill the hole in the roster they needed to use him to fill, pretty sure they would have gotten a lot more for him the previous offseason after he showed some offense at the NHL level.

Highmore is significantly overrated on cdc. He can skate fast and not much else.

If you cannot play D in this league, you had better be scoring a lot. Sadly, he does not score near enough. I think they were hoping that he would take the next step during the summer. Kinda like they did with Jake. 

8 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

He didn’t have trade value mostly due to the Canucks seriously destroying it by trying to turn him into something he isn’t.

No. 
He had no value because he isn’t a good NHLer

If they knew he wasn’t going to be the player to fill the hole in the roster they needed to use him to fill, pretty sure they would have gotten a lot more for him the previous offseason after he showed some offense at the NHL level.

He didn’t have value then either.  

Agreed.  Highmore sucks as well. 

Im surprised a thread about two meh players has been so popular 

1 minute ago, D.B Cooper said:

No. 
He had no value because he isn’t a good NHLer

He didn’t have value then either.  

Agreed.  Highmore sucks as well. 

Im surprised a thread about two meh players has been so popular 

With young players, value can fluctuate. A guy who can score 33 points in 59 games or whatever he got should be able to be traded for something of value. Timing is everything.

7 minutes ago, FaninMex said:

If you cannot play D in this league, you had better be scoring a lot. Sadly, he does not score near enough. I think they were hoping that he would take the next step during the summer. Kinda like they did with Jake. 

He isn’t nearly as bad defensively as people say. He isn’t great but he is not terrible. 

Scoring lots playing with “where offense goes to die” plugs like Sutter and Roussel on your line is pretty hard.

When you are using Vesey and Boyd in your top 6 what was the harm in throwing Gaudette there to hopefully score some points and increase his trade value?

Its never a good thing to prefer to give away a player for nothing on some misguided principle rather than pump his value any way you can and get value for him.

16 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

He isn’t nearly as bad defensively as people say. He isn’t great but he is not terrible. 

Scoring lots playing with “where offense goes to die” plugs like Sutter and Roussel on your line is pretty hard.

When you are using Vesey and Boyd in your top 6 what was the harm in throwing Gaudette there to hopefully score some points and increase his trade value?

Its never a good thing to prefer to give away a player for nothing on some misguided principle rather than pump his value any way you can and get value for him.

I disagree. I thought he was terrible long before most others. I would have loved to have traded him when you are saying. However, you have 20/20 working for you and I think Benning is more optimistic than most. I think they wanted him to up his D zone coverage. However, I also remember hearing that he would say that he was a scorer. Maybe that is CDC saying things or I am remembering it wrong. If I am, feel free to call me on it.

As for getting nothing for him, Highmore has stuck around with the team for now. So, benched / waived Guadette was not exactly given away. 

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, FaninMex said:

I disagree. I thought he was terrible long before most others. I would have loved to have traded him when you are saying. However, you have 20/20 working for you and I think Benning is more optimistic than most. I think they wanted him to up his D zone coverage. However, I also remember hearing that he would say that he was a scorer. Maybe that is CDC saying things or I am remembering it wrong. If I am, feel free to call me on it.

As for getting nothing for him, Highmore has stuck around with the team for now. So, benched / waived Guadette was not exactly given away. 

Highmore skates fast and does nothing else particularly well. It’s not like he is a Selke candidate defensively. I have rarely seen an nhl level player that skates himself out of position as much as Highmore does.

Highmore was gifted a spot based on being a guy they traded Gaudette for. He showed nothing in the preseason and nothing with a huge top 6 opportunity last year after the trade. I can’t think of many teams he would not be at best a 4th liner on. The Canucks use him higher to try to justify trading for him.

35 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Highmore skates fast and does nothing else particularly well. It’s not like he is a Selke candidate defensively. I have rarely seen an nhl level player that skates himself out of position as much as Highmore does.

Highmore was gifted a spot based on being a guy they traded Gaudette for. He showed nothing in the preseason and nothing with a huge top 6 opportunity last year after the trade. I can’t think of many teams he would not be at best a 4th liner on. The Canucks use him higher to try to justify trading for him.

No, I doubt it. 

I agree that he skates fast but he is also an option for PK. When Lockwood learns how, the position is his or Bailey's. 

Why do people try to compare a 4th liner to a Selke candidate? Sure, let's do extremes to prove our point. Sure Bo is good but he is no Mario. 

• Cheers 1