Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Adam Gaudette to Blackhawks for Matthew Highmore


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, D.B Cooper said:

No. 
He had no value because he isn’t a good NHLer

 

He didn’t have value then either.  

Agreed.  Highmore sucks as well. 
 


Im surprised a thread about two meh players has been so popular 

With young players, value can fluctuate. A guy who can score 33 points in 59 games or whatever he got should be able to be traded for something of value. Timing is everything.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, FaninMex said:

If you cannot play D in this league, you had better be scoring a lot. Sadly, he does not score near enough. I think they were hoping that he would take the next step during the summer. Kinda like they did with Jake. 

He isn’t nearly as bad defensively as people say. He isn’t great but he is not terrible. 
 

Scoring lots playing with “where offense goes to die” plugs like Sutter and Roussel on your line is pretty hard.

 

When you are using Vesey and Boyd in your top 6 what was the harm in throwing Gaudette there to hopefully score some points and increase his trade value?

 

Its never a good thing to prefer to give away a player for nothing on some misguided principle rather than pump his value any way you can and get value for him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

He isn’t nearly as bad defensively as people say. He isn’t great but he is not terrible. 
 

Scoring lots playing with “where offense goes to die” plugs like Sutter and Roussel on your line is pretty hard.

 

When you are using Vesey and Boyd in your top 6 what was the harm in throwing Gaudette there to hopefully score some points and increase his trade value?

 

Its never a good thing to prefer to give away a player for nothing on some misguided principle rather than pump his value any way you can and get value for him.

I disagree. I thought he was terrible long before most others. I would have loved to have traded him when you are saying. However, you have 20/20 working for you and I think Benning is more optimistic than most. I think they wanted him to up his D zone coverage. However, I also remember hearing that he would say that he was a scorer. Maybe that is CDC saying things or I am remembering it wrong. If I am, feel free to call me on it.

As for getting nothing for him, Highmore has stuck around with the team for now. So, benched / waived Guadette was not exactly given away. 

  • Cheers 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, FaninMex said:

I disagree. I thought he was terrible long before most others. I would have loved to have traded him when you are saying. However, you have 20/20 working for you and I think Benning is more optimistic than most. I think they wanted him to up his D zone coverage. However, I also remember hearing that he would say that he was a scorer. Maybe that is CDC saying things or I am remembering it wrong. If I am, feel free to call me on it.

As for getting nothing for him, Highmore has stuck around with the team for now. So, benched / waived Guadette was not exactly given away. 

Highmore skates fast and does nothing else particularly well. It’s not like he is a Selke candidate defensively. I have rarely seen an nhl level player that skates himself out of position as much as Highmore does.

 

Highmore was gifted a spot based on being a guy they traded Gaudette for. He showed nothing in the preseason and nothing with a huge top 6 opportunity last year after the trade. I can’t think of many teams he would not be at best a 4th liner on. The Canucks use him higher to try to justify trading for him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Highmore skates fast and does nothing else particularly well. It’s not like he is a Selke candidate defensively. I have rarely seen an nhl level player that skates himself out of position as much as Highmore does.

 

Highmore was gifted a spot based on being a guy they traded Gaudette for. He showed nothing in the preseason and nothing with a huge top 6 opportunity last year after the trade. I can’t think of many teams he would not be at best a 4th liner on. The Canucks use him higher to try to justify trading for him.

No, I doubt it. 

I agree that he skates fast but he is also an option for PK. When Lockwood learns how, the position is his or Bailey's. 

 

Why do people try to compare a 4th liner to a Selke candidate? Sure, let's do extremes to prove our point. Sure Bo is good but he is no Mario. 

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, FaninMex said:

No, I doubt it. 

I agree that he skates fast but he is also an option for PK. When Lockwood learns how, the position is his or Bailey's. 

 

Why do people try to compare a 4th liner to a Selke candidate? Sure, let's do extremes to prove our point. Sure Bo is good but he is no Mario. 

Why did people expect Gaudette to be a good defensive 3rd line center? That wasn’t even what he was projected to be coming out of college.

 

Highmore is terrible on the PK. He is an option. Just not a good option. Next game watch him overskate himself out of position constantly on the pk. He is the king of the drive by that coaches typically try to beat out of kids in minor hockey.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Why did people expect Gaudette to be a good defensive 3rd line center? That wasn’t even what he was projected to be coming out of college.

 

Highmore is terrible on the PK. He is an option. Just not a good option. Next game watch him overskate himself out of position constantly on the pk. He is the king of the drive by that coaches typically try to beat out of kids in minor hockey.

I commented on this already. He wants to be a scorer but not play D. If you are not going to be coming back to play D, you had better be able to score / drive the play. 

Now he does nothing. He was terrible at D and he could not drive a play or score. You say it was his line mates but I remember him skating himself out of a scoring chance and into defenders. I remember him shooting from low IQ angles with nothing blocking the goalie often into the waiting glove. His celebrations got people excited for him but he was terrible. 

 

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, FaninMex said:

I commented on this already. He wants to be a scorer but not play D. If you are not going to be coming back to play D, you had better be able to score / drive the play. 

Now he does nothing. He was terrible at D and he could not drive a play or score. You say it was his line mates but I remember him skating himself out of a scoring chance and into defenders. I remember him shooting from low IQ angles with nothing blocking the goalie often into the waiting glove. His celebrations got people excited for him but he was terrible. 

 

At one point he was 2nd in the NHL in generating quality scoring chances iirc. Ya sounds useless offensively. 
 

Not every player needs to be a great two way player. That’s really just what we have conditioned to believe by a string of sub par coaches in Vancouver.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

At one point he was 2nd in the NHL in generating quality scoring chances iirc. Ya sounds useless offensively. 
 

Not every player needs to be a great two way player. That’s really just what we have conditioned to believe by a string of sub par coaches in Vancouver.

Watch the games not the stats. There were times that he was in prime shooting areas and he skated into guys. If you were to go through my posts, you would find I often commented on it.

I never said that he has to be a two way player but he has to be able to do something in the D if he was not scoring. Your Benning hate is causing you to remember wrong.

 

Is he doing anything in Chi?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

He didn’t have trade value mostly due to the Canucks seriously destroying it by trying to turn him into something he isn’t. If they knew he wasn’t going to be the player to fill the hole in the roster they needed to use him to fill, pretty sure they would have gotten a lot more for him the previous offseason after he showed some offense at the NHL level.

 

Highmore is significantly overrated on cdc. He can skate fast and not much else.

Perfect example of "no matter what the reality is, I'll stick to me guns to the end"...

  • Cheers 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, FaninMex said:

Watch the games not the stats. There were times that he was in prime shooting areas and he skated into guys. If you were to go through my posts, you would find I often commented on it.

I never said that he has to be a two way player but he has to be able to do something in the D if he was not scoring. Your Benning hate is causing you to remember wrong.

 

Is he doing anything in Chi?

So let me ask you this. Were you maybe looking for it more in a player you were predisposed to be critical of?

 

Because I see a lot of guys on every NHL team do that. Including our team. 
 

I don’t look at stats to judge a players effectiveness. I wasn’t a huge fan of Gaudette but didn’t hate on him irrationally either. A lot of times he did try to do too much himself but a lot of young players do. His line mates having next to no offensive awareness or anticipation probably only made that worse. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

So let me ask you this. Were you maybe looking for it more in a player you were predisposed to be critical of?

 

Because I see a lot of guys on every NHL team do that. Including our team. 
 

I don’t look at stats to judge a players effectiveness. I wasn’t a huge fan of Gaudette but didn’t hate on him irrationally either. A lot of times he did try to do too much himself but a lot of young players do. His line mates having next to no offensive awareness or anticipation probably only made that worse. 

You and I have bantered quite a bit. Do you see me post much negativity? I think I am generally pretty optimistic. You can tell me if that is correct.

Gaudette I just saw a lot of AHL stuff more than NHL. I called it as I saw it and realized I was seeing it more than I should.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, FaninMex said:

You and I have bantered quite a bit. Do you see me post much negativity? I think I am generally pretty optimistic. You can tell me if that is correct.

Gaudette I just saw a lot of AHL stuff more than NHL. I called it as I saw it and realized I was seeing it more than I should.

I thought Gaudette was overrated by cdc originally then the pendulum swung too far to the other extreme when he didn’t suddenly become Kesler overnight. Once he was traded (like every player that leaves) he was then suddenly a $&!# player. 
 

I am amazed how any player can be a huge draft home run for the GM even now while simultaneously being a $&!# AHL quality player. 

  • RoughGame 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I thought Gaudette was overrated by cdc originally then the pendulum swung too far to the other extreme when he didn’t suddenly become Kesler overnight. Once he was traded (like every player that leaves) he was then suddenly a $&!# player. 
 

I am amazed how any player can be a huge draft home run for the GM even now while simultaneously being a $&!# AHL quality player. 

Is he doing anything in Chi?

 

Gaudette was very overrated. I hoped he would progress but never saw any here. I hope all the best for him but he needs to improve a lot.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I thought Gaudette was overrated by cdc originally then the pendulum swung too far to the other extreme when he didn’t suddenly become Kesler overnight. Once he was traded (like every player that leaves) he was then suddenly a $&!# player. 
 

I am amazed how any player can be a huge draft home run for the GM even now while simultaneously being a $&!# AHL quality player. 

 

With the Blackhawks last season Gaudette played in seven games averaging 12:12 a night, he had a goal and three assists during that time and he even spent some time on the power play. Gaudette is someone the team can count on in any situation, and there is a good chance this is his breakout year in the league.

Hopefully, the Blackhawks do not regret not signing him to a multi-year deal this offseason. Some players are going to step up the way Brandon Hagel did last year, maybe the next man up is Gaudette. The preseason and season will be here before you know it!
 
 
This is what I could see.
 
So far this season. Just the start, I know.
2021-22 Chicago Blackhawks NHL 2 0 0 0 0 -2
 
 
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, FaninMex said:

 

With the Blackhawks last season Gaudette played in seven games averaging 12:12 a night, he had a goal and three assists during that time and he even spent some time on the power play. Gaudette is someone the team can count on in any situation, and there is a good chance this is his breakout year in the league.

Hopefully, the Blackhawks do not regret not signing him to a multi-year deal this offseason. Some players are going to step up the way Brandon Hagel did last year, maybe the next man up is Gaudette. The preseason and season will be here before you know it!
 
 
This is what I could see.
 
So far this season. Just the start, I know.
2021-22 Chicago Blackhawks NHL 2 0 0 0 0 -2
 
 

That is a pretty small sample size don’t you think?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I thought Gaudette was overrated by cdc originally then the pendulum swung too far to the other extreme when he didn’t suddenly become Kesler overnight. Once he was traded (like every player that leaves) he was then suddenly a $&!# player. 
 

I am amazed how any player can be a huge draft home run for the GM even now while simultaneously being a $&!# AHL quality player. 

A lot of our players get overrated though. I actually kind of fear for players like Podkolzin at the moment and the expectations on him. This fanbase has no patence to just let a player show what he will become, but I guess when does any fanbase have that patience?

 

That being said, I don't think Gaudette's a career AHL'er if he learns to not be so cocky about where he thinks he should be in the NHL. That being said, Chicago is also not the deepest team out there at the moment (while our offense is clearly stacked) so he'll probably have his chance to either prove it or lose it.

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

That is a pretty small sample size don’t you think?

I thought I posted that. I know it is. It just posted info currently available. I also posted someone stating they thought he was going to breakout. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

That is a pretty small sample size don’t you think?

The small sample size this season so far says a lot about how Chicago views him. He only had 8 mins of ice time last game.

 

Stop pumping Gaudette's tires. He is a borderline NHL player, which is in fact a good pick when taking into account where he was drafted. Full stop. Is he an elite player? No.

 

Gaudette is a serviceable player, but he has plenty of holes in his game to fill if he hopes to stay around in the league. He didn't score when he was with us last year, and he doesn't do well on any other lines. Also, for a center, he does poorly on faceoffs. So he is realistically only useful as a wing.

 

What we're seeing is a one-dimensional (or limited dimensional) player who was drafted for his scoring, which he can't seem to reproduce in the NHL.

 

He had no value at the time of the trade, otherwise any idiot GM can just pick up something valuable like a 2nd rounder. He obviously was only worth a 4th liner, or worse.

 

I think Highmore is a better option than some 5th or 6th round pick.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Like 1
  • Vintage 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...