The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Adam Gaudette to Blackhawks for Matthew Highmore

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

Highmore had a heckuva playoffs for the Hwks last year and, by all accounts, is a high energy, physical guy who is more of a traditional bottom 6 player than Gaud.  Everyone loves Motte........you can't judge every player based on points

Tyler Motte has a fantastic reputation at this point.  

1 minute ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I doubt a coach that leans heavily on vets is going to give Lind that kind of leash (not that Gaudette was a vet but at least he's gotten SOME NHL experience).

Maybe the eating issue is holding Gaudette back more than we know.

We won't really know how this trade washes out for a year.

In last year's playins/playoffs Highmore had 3 goals and 1 assist in 9 games and was a really good energy guy with great speed. I suspect that may be where the Canucks took notice of him. I think we may want to wait and see him play before getting out the pitchforks.

• Cheers 2

Just now, coryberg said:

If it's a distraction in the locker room and if the rest of the team is unhappy with them you have to do something.

Of course, but why are you going there and making that assumption? You could do that with any player we trade away.

*Fails to re-sign EP* "He was becoming an arrogant locker room distraction who let the fame get in his head"

*Makes a bad trade to get Virtanen's contract off the book* "Jake probably became an alcoholic."

Are we just going to character assassinate now with no grounds to do so? You could be right, but there's nothing to suggest that Gaudette is a cancer so to call him that is quite harsh I would say.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Benning haters and loyalists are stupid terms.  

I disagree. Its not strictly a binary, as in not every fan falls in one camp or the other, but they definitely exist. There are definitely fans that would rake Benning over the coals and demand his firing if he traded a 7th in 2069 for McDavid at 50% retained, and there are definitely fans that would defend him if he traded Pettersson, Hughes and Demko for Skinner and Okposo. This likely has little to do with hockey itself though and more to do with the temperament of the people themselves.

Edited by Bitter Melon
  • Cheers 1

Gutted. Thought Gaudette had so much more to give at the club. As predicted, the usual suspects are defending this trade tooth and nail on the basis of 4 whole playoff points.  

Not a fan of this trade as it stands today, even if the Covid spin is true. 

• Like 1

Just now, Alain Vigneault said:

It's fine to trade Gaudette and it's fine to want a player like Highmore.  But a year ago, you could have probably got a 3rd or something of equivalent value (both of which are higher than Highmore's value).

Like most things with the management team, the timing and lack of planning has done them in.

i don't agree with critiques of the trade today

but i agree with this assessment. Should've sold Gaudette while his value was running high. It's not like he'd help a team in a playoff run lol.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, kanucks25 said:

Something smells here for sure.

I think it's pretty clear Benning wanted to get rid of him today, just don't know why.

I def wouldn't be surprised if there was more to this trade, seems like a strange move 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

I wonder if Gaudette requested a trade, his wife has been getting flack of late.

I think its a dice roll-will AG become a productive 2 way top 9 player?  Hard to say

They trade a for a guy who they hope can follow Motte's development path

• Cheers 1

If the RUMOURS are correct about AG breaking protocol and flaunting it,.   I too as an Owner or GM would have him packing at the first opportunity..  

“IF” AG is the root cause of this C19 outbreak on the entire organization out of blatant disrespect,  You have to put the mass perspective on it..   this has devastated the organization and its families.

Absolutely throws all of the time and money spent to protect elite athletes into the ditch as road kill or limping along the side of the road with harmful side effects.

This smells less of a hockey trade and more of a bad apple move.

I hope all of this is not the case.

could we not have package for Eklohm I wonder?

Edited by SilentSam
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 2

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

why would he be in Utica when he's already had a good playoffs and this full season in Chicago?  You're just crying because you don't like the trade

Dude.... what makes you think I was crying?? I applaud this trade... he might work out for us like Tyler Motte!! Remember when Motte joined, he was in & out of AHL too??

anyways, JB had to get rid of Gaud coz of the covid fiasco!

Just now, Grape said:

Of course, but why are you going there and making that assumption? You could do that with any player we trade away.

*Fails to re-sign EP* "He was becoming an arrogant locker room distraction who let the fame get in his head"

*Makes a bad trade to get Virtanen's contract off the book* "Jake probably became an alcoholic."

Are we just going to character assassinate now with no grounds to do so? You could be right, but there's nothing to suggest that Gaudette is a cancer so to call him that is quite harsh I would say.

no grounds?  His wife was on video saying nothing was going to stop her from breaking protocol if she wanted to.  It might not be the reason, but there's certainly some grounds to think that there's an issue here.  

• Cheers 2

Just now, guntrix said:

Gutted. Thought Gaudette had so much more to give at the club. As predicted, the usual suspects are defending this trade tooth and nail on the basis of 4 whole playoff points.  

Not a fan of this trade as it stands today, even if the Covid spin is true. 

I don’t the think I’ve agreed with you before.... I liked Gaudette and ‘though he had more to give’ sums it up well. Not too happy with this trade :(