The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Adam Gaudette to Blackhawks for Matthew Highmore

Just now, stawns said:

I think there's a lot of "I don't know much about this player so I'm going to panic" happening right now

Sounds about right. I will always keep an open mind on a player until seeing them with my own 2 eyes.

More-so curious on the backstory, if any

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, SilentSam said:

If the RUMOURS are correct about AG breaking protocol and flaunting it,.   I too as an Owner or GM would have him packing at the first opportunity..  

“IF” AG is the root cause of this C19 outbreak on the entire organization out of blatant disrespect,  You have to put the mass perspective on it..   this has devastated the organization and its families.

Absolutely throws all of the time and money spent to protect elite athletes into the ditch as road kill or limping along the side of the road with harmful side effects.

This smells less of a hockey trade and more of a bad apple move.

I hope all of this is not the case.

Exactly what I said and how I felt too.... cheers bud!! this whole thing has smelled very fishy.... 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

why would he be in Utica when he's already had a good playoffs and this full season in Chicago?  You're just crying because you don't like the trade

2 pts in 24 games and a -5, yes he's played a full season this year  but that doesn't necessarily mean much - and those numbers definitely don't mean he's likely to play in the lineup. 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Adam Gaudette has zero points in 10 playoff games

Mathew Highmore has 3G + 1A in 9 playoff games

...that’s all I got.  I guess we have to hope we got another Motte.

2 of those goals were against a fragile Oilers team. So I don't really count those goals 

1 minute ago, SNuck said:

Highmore's a big strong guy.

Plays the game the right way. 

Good two-way player. 

Ah you forgot a one-liner that fans will use like it’s going outta style. Day to day, foundational, what else do people like to use?

• Cheers 1

Ahhhh I feel like it’s a trade for a sake of a trade. Hockey Gaud was a really productive player for us last season. It hasn’t gone that well this year but I feel he still had some potential to flourish given more opportunity. Wish him all the best in Chicago. Welcome, Matthew!

Just now, N4ZZY said:

Can’t &^@#ing wait for Benning’s press conference :picard:

It's going to be a doozie! 

"So Jim, what's your rationale for making this move today?"
"Well he can't play D or take faceoffs. He got the whole team sick, so we felt we needed to trade him for a bag of pucks. We couldn't get a bag of pucks, so we took a contract back instead."

Just now, stawns said:

I think there's a lot of "I don't know much about this player so I'm going to panic" happening right now

Or they just look at his numbers and make a hard decision on the guy.  Look at Motte's numbers when they acquired him:

2011-12  U.S. National Development   USHL   36   15   13   28   32   2   2   0   2   0
2012-13  U.S. National Development   USHL   26   11    6   17    6  --  --  --  --  --
2013-14  U. of Michigan              Big-1  34    9    9   18   22
2014-15  U. of Michigan              Big-1  35    9   22   31   14
2015-16  U. of Michigan              Big-1  38   32   24   56   36
2015-16  Rockford IceHogs            AHL     5    2    3    5    2   3   2   0   2   0
2016-17  Chicago Blackhawks          NHL    33    4    3    7   14  --  --  --  --  --
2016-17  Rockford IceHogs            AHL    43   10    6   16   20  --  --  --  --  --
2017-18  Cleveland Monsters          AHL    17    9    2   11   25
2017-18  Columbus Blue Jackets       NHL    31    3    2    5    2
2017-18  Vancouver Canucks           NHL    15    2    0    2    4
2017-18  Utica Comets                AHL     2    0    0    0    2   5   2   0   2   2
2018-19  Vancouver Canucks           NHL    74    9    7   16   10

Obviously there's still a big development path to go, but just looking at Highmore's number's seems short sighted

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Hard to get a read on the new guy as  there's very little in scouting reports.  The only thing I found was an old one...

https://www.lines.com/nhl/drafts/player/matthew-highmore-21247

Young centreman who is slightly behind his draft class due to having an injury last year that impeded his developmental time. Displays a nice skill set and good jump. Has creativity good reads and soft quick hands. Good aggressive forechecker. Long term prospect who needs work on his work in his own zone.
—Bill Placzek—

I like the Motte comparable; although Motte was strutting his stuff by the time he was 23.  Bit of a head scratcher this one.

Wouldn't suprise me if Gauds (and his wife) asked for a trade, considering how awful the Canuck fans responded towards him on the internet. Perhaps the trade lands at the fans doorstep, not JB's. 

• Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

no grounds?  His wife was on video saying nothing was going to stop her from breaking protocol if she wanted to.  It might not be the reason, but there's certainly some grounds to think that there's an issue here.  

Hmm I've never heard of this before. Do you have a video link?

But if that's what you mean by "grounds," then there's also grounds to believe the two examples I gave: that Virtanen might be an alcoholic and EP could be too arrogant for some people's likings. Doesn't mean it's right to assume straight away, especially calling the guy a cancer to the team.

Edited by Grape
  • Like 1
  • Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, stawns said:

do you know anything about Highmore?

Ya I have seen him play a fair bit actually. He is no different than 1000 other replaceable bottom 6 guys who dont move the needle much at all. He seems like a hard worker and plays above his size which is the only plus about him.

Gaudette was never going to be the player the Canucks wanted him to be. Its just not his game. I expect Chicago, who has a long history of an innate ability to put players in the best position to be successful, will get much more out of Gaudette. The Canucks historically try to completely change players to what they want them to be rather than taking advantage of their strengths and minimizing their weaknesses. 

• Cheers 1

What is it that makes Benning so reluctant to get some draft picks back when making trades? 

Why is he so in-love with players that produce so little on the ice?

Why is he still having a job?

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Look.

I get and understand the argument and possible position of this regarding covid and attitudes around it.  I even get the owner may have stepped in.

But this LITERALLY looks and appears like you dangled an attractive young asset and took the first stolen bike a meth addict offered you.  Have been researching Highmore and there is nothing, like literally nothing that makes him stand out.

Average skater.  mediocre face off numbers.  Mediocre on ice numbers.  Only shining moment was a goal in the playoffs.

If this is literally the best Benning could get for Gaudette who is around a .3 ppg sophomore in his career thus far and shown to arrive for big games on a team lacking any sort of centre depth at the moment than he's absolutely validated the comments about his inability to manage his assets or make viable trades towards the long term health and future of this team.

Again, I feel as though this was a trade for the sake of making a trade and once the name was out there the first offer thrown looks like it was accepted

Look..... I know nothing about Highmore but there is A chance he might work out... I'm pretty sure JB had limited offers coz this whole Covid thing might scare GMs away... 

Getting something is better than NOTHING at all as Gaud will be a RFA after the season...