The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Adam Gaudette to Blackhawks for Matthew Highmore

6 minutes ago, SNuck said:

Every NHL player has a big ego. 

*Also, are we ripping on guys for celebrating goals now??

The Sedins, for example, never made a huge deal out of scoring. Not many do really.

Big cellies like Gaud's reminds me of Yakupov's celly in EDM a few years ago lol  Not a team player.

• Haha 1
  • RoughGame 1

3 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

If the RUMOURS are correct about AG breaking protocol and flaunting it,.   I too as an Owner or GM would have him packing at the first opportunity..  

“IF” AG is the root cause of this C19 outbreak on the entire organization out of blatant disrespect,  You have to put the mass perspective on it..   this has devastated the organization and its families.

Absolutely throws all of the time and money spent to protect elite athletes into the ditch as road kill or limping along the side of the road with harmful side effects.

This smells less of a hockey trade and more of a bad apple move.

I hope all of this is not the case.

Not to mention the effect it would have on his teammates, especially those who’s families he potentially put at risk.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I wonder if Gaudette requested a trade, his wife has been getting flack of late.

Wouldn't be surprised if this was true. She did get a lot of flack on twitter in recent weeks, resulting in her deactivating her account. My guess is he was becoming a distraction and putting his focus on building his personal brand through the Canucks. I mean, all the Twitch streaming, creating his own apparel line, viral videos, etc...

12 minutes ago, SNuck said:

He's actually taken 9 in 4 seasons ( 73 games ), won 2 and lost 7

Has 69 hits (16.08 per 60 mins)

25 blocked shots (6.71 per 60 mins)

18 giveaways and 20 takeaways

c.f. Motte at 55.63 hits per 60 mins, 16.2 blocks per 60 mins, 32 giveaways and 76 takeaways in 174 games

Motte he ain't 

8 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Benning haters and loyalists are stupid terms.  

I’d be fine with a new GM and I don’t like that we sold low.  

I don’t mind most of his moves though. 

It's getting to the point where it's binary.  We've been on a wild roller coaster this past 12 months.  

2 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

I've always felt Gaud was overrated on here.

Yes and No...

No, he was on the verge of breaking out as a 2nd line player after last season...

Yes, he really struggled this season... and then brought in Covid... *sigh*

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

remember all the crying about the trade for Motte?  Not many of those people whining anymore

Because this team has given about a dozen other things to whine about.  Maybe Benning will bring this up during the presser "Remember that one move I made that didn't suck?"

6 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

In last year's playins/playoffs Highmore had 3 goals and 1 assist in 9 games and was a really good energy guy with great speed. I suspect that may be where the Canucks took notice of him. I think we may want to wait and see him play before getting out the pitchforks.

Frank Corrado looked decent in a short stint in the postseason for us as well.  Danger of relying on a short sample size.  

47 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:
SCOUTING REPORT

Is a proven, productive forward at lower levels. Can play both wing and center, which adds to his overall value. Is also fairly responsible in the defensive zone. Lacks optimum size (5-11, 181 pounds) for a forward at the National Hockey League level (especially if he is to play center in the big league), so he must get stronger.

Speed kills and that’s Highmore’s biggest asset as it puts him into great positions on the ice to score. For leagues that are deeper, Highmore shoots the puck a lot and does not hesitate to throw a hit or block a shot.

From what I recall watching from the bubble in the summer, Highmore was a huge contributor that lead to the Blackhawks upsetting the Oilers in the playin round. He was trusted on the PK and being on the ice in the closing minutes. Often was pushed up the lineup throughout the series.

High energy kid, skates like the wind, and isn't afraid to lay the body when he can. He sorta is like Tyler Motte 2.0. Also very sound defensively but not a lot of offense to his game. However, considering that we likely lost Beagle to LTIR, potentially losing Sutter, you need a defensive center who can play PK, Highmore is that. Also has cost certainty with another year on his deal at a really cheap 725K deal. Basically getting a lateral move with this for a guy who can fit better in the bottom six.

Love Gauds but he just isn't what we need, doesn't have enough poise with the puck to do much with it and his two way game is just so suspect you can't trust him on the ice as a center.

Great post. You nailed it

17 minutes ago, Bang Bang Boogie said:

Shinkaruk-Granlund comes to mind.  Both guys out of the NHL 3 years after.

Not quite Shinkaruk didn’t even have an NHL game. Gaudette had a 45 pro rated point season last year while on the 3rd line under 13 minutes a game. Highmore isn’t even regarded as much as Granlund was then and Granlund was 22 or 23 years old when we got him. Really don’t get this trade.

• Upvote 1