The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Adam Gaudette to Blackhawks for Matthew Highmore

5 minutes ago, rekker said:

I gotta say one if JB's deficiencies is his inability to get a pick thrown into trades. This trade should of had a pick thrown in coming our way. A fifth would of made it a better trade. But again, time will tell.

It's the same old story. Here's an article from 2018:

image.png.3f49c303dbd78eeaf5611929e14b4e21.png

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/canucks-benning-looking-improve-impressive-draft-resume/

Dude trying to rebuild without a draft pick surplus then wonders why he has no depth lol.

• Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1

4 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:
I know the general consensus that people disapprove the deal strongly, but I wonder how many people generally just looked at hockeyDB and made their mind up without digging further.

I'm not saying Highmore will blow your pants off, but learning from my own experience when I first reacted to Vanek for Motte deal I hated it and made an automatic decision to hate the deal. But once I decided to look into the actual player and see who he really was not just by looking at the stats but the research on the player, realized that Motte wasn't too bad a guy...lol.

I'm not happy we gave up Gaudette, but I turn my attention now to who is Matthew Highmore, he isn't a dumpster fire of a player either as some are making it out to be. But what I see is a guy who works hard, a player who goes to the dirty areas, not a lot of flash and finish in his game, but his determination allows him to get looks.  He skates hard, responsible defensively, and can be trusted in his own end of the ice. Again Im not saying this was a worth while trade for Gaudette, but Highmore isn't a total plug either. I can see elements of why our team was attracted to his style of play.

The gist from me is....you can hate what Benning is doing thats fine, but don't knock the player til we understood who Highmore is and before we even get a chance to see him.  Who knows, maybe his style of play will flourish more in a system that is more conducive to his strengths.

Looking at those highlights show me that he is a decent option in front of the net. Good tips

Just now, combover said:

We waited to see what we developing with gaudette now wait and see what we have with a smaller player that struggles to perform at even the AHL level. 

Jim just threw away another developing young player for absolutely nothing.

jim and his loyal apologist have been making excuses for his incompetence for 7 seasons

Justifying his stupidity but devaluing the players and picks leaving while pumping the garbage he gets in return.

"Struggles" lmao.

Motte wasnt a finished product when he was acquired.  His numbers were not much different than Highmore after NCAA.  

If Highmore can develop and is as much of  team player as his former in coach in CHI says, it's a worthwhile project.  

That's not "throwing away for nothing"

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Davathor said:

I was mad at this trade, but I've cooled down.. AG wasn't having a good year, I always thought he played hard and had tons of potential, but maybe the team saw something more worrying in his slump?

Maybe Highmore was needed to expose? Maybe he's better than he looks on paper...

I don't know, but I don’t think its worth the vitriol for some bottom guys. I think what bugs everyone the most is he wasn't one of the inflated veteran contracts we WANTED to see go.

I'm more mad at giving Pearson above market value, as well as expansion protection for no ##($ing reason 

of 33 players playing between 12-17 minutes a game that signed mutiyear deals. pearson 0.33ppg ranked 13th and the average salary was 3.19m

• Cheers 2

Just now, combover said:

We waited to see what we developing with gaudette now wait and see what we have with a smaller player that struggles to perform at even the AHL level. 

Jim just threw away another developing young player for absolutely nothing.

jim and his loyal apologist have been making excuses for his incompetence for 7 seasons

Justifying his stupidity but devaluing the players and picks leaving while pumping the garbage he gets in return.

Why can't you just wait a week or two or when a year before passing judgement? AG hasn't done much of anything this year but has taken a roster spot.   JB thinks we have 6-8 NHLers in our pool.  Logic says this is about opening up a spot for Lind and or Podz no? 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

1 minute ago, hlinkas wrister said:

There was very little chance of a pick and a player coming back for Adam. 29 year old Hart trophy winners are only worth a second in a COVID trade deadline day.

good point, the Sabres even retained 50% of his salary... 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

AG on your team or a 3.25 mil TP for 3 years? How can we not just keep AG with so much potential vs a declining two way forward...... come on guys 

if we got a good player in return this trade would be ok but wow come on this trade is indefensible 

• RoughGame 4

1 minute ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:
I know the general consensus that people disapprove the deal strongly, but I wonder how many people generally just looked at hockeyDB and made their mind up without digging further.

I'm not saying Highmore will blow your pants off, but learning from my own experience when I first reacted to Vanek for Motte deal I hated it and made an automatic decision to hate the deal. But once I decided to look into the actual player and see who he really was not just by looking at the stats but the research on the player, realized that Motte wasn't too bad a guy...lol.

I'm not happy we gave up Gaudette, but I turn my attention now to who is Matthew Highmore, he isn't a dumpster fire of a player either as some are making it out to be. But what I see is a guy who works hard, a player who goes to the dirty areas, not a lot of flash and finish in his game, but his determination allows him to get looks.  He skates hard, responsible defensively, and can be trusted in his own end of the ice. Again Im not saying this was a worth while trade for Gaudette, but Highmore isn't a total plug either. I can see elements of why our team was attracted to his style of play.

The gist from me is....you can hate what Benning is doing thats fine, but don't knock the player til we understood who Highmore is and before we even get a chance to see him.  Who knows, maybe his style of play will flourish more in a system that is more conducive to his strengths.

That’s a great read, but the reality is that energy guys and role players like this are PTO types and are largely a dime a dozen to acquire.  

IMO, to trade a proven young NHL talent for this commodity lends its self to adding fuel to the fire raging on JB’s effectiveness as GM. 

For the sake of the fans, I hope that other info begins to surface which will address the logistics of this trade.  I’m not at all convinced that we need another Motte more than we do a decent middle 6 guy who was ready for more responsibility. Motte is great, but easily enough to outright buy during the off-season, etc.  Why trade for it?  

• Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Yeah but he cellys too hard like you said.  Not a team player.

Highmore is barely an NHL player, so I can see why he would celebrate hard like that lol 

After reading Bieksa's comments on Gaudette, I wonder if he was liked by his team mates. And then his wife weighing ion on social media defending him etc. VAN doesn't need the drama. They're also only saving a few bucks with this transaction, so I don't think it's about the money.

Also, it probably has a lot to do with the expansion draft, and now not having to protect him. The way Jim's going, I don't think he can catch BUF for last, if that's what he trying to do. Looks like it.  

2 minutes ago, hlinkas wrister said:

There was very little chance of a pick and a player coming back for Adam. 29 year old Hart trophy winners are only worth a second in a COVID trade deadline day.

Chicago just got a 2nd rounder for Mattias Janmark, who they signed as a UFA last offseason to a 1-year deal. Then they flipped another guy they signed as a UFA (Highmore) for a once highly-touted guy (Gaudette), with upside to replace Janmark.

I am often jealous of teams with good management.

• Cheers 3