The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Adam Gaudette to Blackhawks for Matthew Highmore

20 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

of 33 players playing between 12-17 minutes a game that signed mutiyear deals. pearson 0.33ppg ranked 13th and the average salary was 3.19m

Most of those salaries were not signed in a year like this. There should be a 20% discount on any player signed during covid, especially one that has taken a step back from last year.

1 minute ago, Patrik Laine said:

No idea I read on this forum that he required protection. I hope not. Benning should hire jonah Hill to help him with this stuff. 

Yes he requires protection. He has another year on his contract at 725k and an RFA after. I think Seattle will either take Virtanen or gadjovich.

This "May" be a signal that Motte is being penciled on to the 3rd line LW for next year.

IMO, sure Gaudette has higher pedigree, but where does he fit in the bottom 6 ?

IMO, again, he is not big enough to fight through the checks, not does he have the grit needed

I like Gaudette, but I don't see him on the 1/2 lines, where he might excell

To me, its a pfff trade.........

It also makes me believe Virtanen is not going anywhere soon...........

This trade is like drinking cold tea...............I could care less

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

Team physician knows who writes his cheques. The team wouldn’t come right out and say Gaud put everyone at risk. I don’t know what happened, I wasn’t there, and I won’t judge Gaud based on speculation. All I’ll say is that from the outside looking in, Gaud doesn’t seem like a great decision maker (see kicking his wife in the face at their wedding). :lol:

Perhaps he made a lapse of judgement that got the team sick. Perhaps it was just a coincidence. We’ll never know. Sometimes where there’s smoke there’s fire. Sometimes there’s just a lot of hot air.

Either way Gaud is a Blackhawk now and I’ll reserve judgement on Highmore until I see him play. From the scouting report it seems like he fits the bottom 6 role better than Gaud m, who likely wouldn’t have made our top 6.

Who turns into the more effective player in the future remains to be seen. 

They wouldn't come out and say that, but I highly doubt they would lie. Teams around sports who have had irresponsible decision makers have generally just declined to comment. The trade isn't THAT bad, but it seems like a "sell low" trade for a player that Benning had his eyes on a long time ago, both of which we've seen before.

Just now, janisahockeynut said:

This "May" be a signal that Motte is being penciled on to the 3rd line LW for next year.

IMO, sure Gaudette has higher pedigree, but where does he fit in the bottom 6 ?

IMO, again, he is not big enough to fight through the checks, not does he have the grit needed

I like Gaudette, but I don't see him on the 1/2 lines, where he might excell

To me, its a pfff trade.........

It also makes me believe Virtanen is not going anywhere soon...........

This trade is like drinking cold tea...............I could care less

throw in some ice cubes and you got iced tea

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Quinn12 said:

Defending this trade because hopefully this kid coming back is Motte 2.0 is a sad defense of JB

Now we don’t have to protect AG! 

Now someone else can fill in his spot next year!

It won’t even take AG half a year to show how bad this trade is. 

Pearson playing with Horvat and people think he’s amazing now .. Do any of u actually watch Nuck games?

Tanner $&!# the bed in the bubble and was nonexistent vs Golden Knights .. then played terribly all this season so he gets a fat 3yr deal

Smh

Hey man! Pearson is a "glue" guy. They don't come cheap. He's got good leadership skillz and won a Cup a real long time ago.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, nuck-lifer said:

Highmore looks like a better fit for Bottom 6 role then Gauds, but still dreamed Gauds had potential as a top 6 wingers.

Dreamer , nothing but a dreamer obviously

really just a meh for meh trade to save some cap money with expansion coming up which they'll need this summer.

Good time to remember the Vanek for Motte trade where everyone called out JB for bringing in a Meh player..... time will tell

Bottom six role? Our GM prefers signing aging "high character" veterans to NMC multi million dollar contracts who can barely lace them up anymore to fill out our bottom six 

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

If we sold low on Gaudette and buy low on another, better guy who's also an expansion risk, this will make even more sense beyond Gaudette simply being an ill fit/non existent defensive game for the bottom 6.

Should be an interesting fallout from this trade.

The logistics will be clear as this goes on, and details such as which you’re alluding to will be defined. 

@mll is usually the one to sort out the business side of these transactions on here.  Look for his posts, I think. 

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

If we sold low on Gaudette and buy low on another, better guy who's also an expansion risk, this will make even more sense beyond Gaudette simply being an ill fit/non existent defensive game for the bottom 6.

I dont think this was move 1 of 2 bud. 

Gaudette definitely didnt fit in the bottom 6 as a center. Could have moved Pearson at the deadline (and if you really had to have him re-sign him as a UFA) and put Gaudette in the top 6 as a winger for the rest of this already lost season to hopefully increase his trade value. Worst case scenario he $&!#s the bed and you qualify and trade him or let him go. Best case scenario you get more than a tweener for him.

12 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

So then he gets picked in the expansion draft. Now you can look at it as we’ll lose two players for a return of a guy that we could have claimed a comparable guy on waivers. What if Lind is unprotected or Virtanen and you lose one of them. I would have rather had him and him be the selection rather than selling him for less than he’s worth.

I can't see Seattle wasting their picks on players like Virtanen or Highmore.  I doubt Chi bothers protecting Gaud as well.

Why are people talking about this guy needing protection? He is 25 and hasn't even proven to be a reliable NHL player. Seattle would look at this guy's name and say "Who?" Whether or not he needs protection is irrelevant. Guy is worse than Gaunce was during the Vegas expansion.

Edited by N7Nucks
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Virtanen#18 said:

Come on JB!!! You have less than an hour to ship out Sutter and Benn... make it happen so we respect you again!!!!!

As if Benn is something to rush away for a marginal return... 9-8?

I think he has more points than Sutter, even though Sutter had a hatty one night. 

Foundational... 

Highmore seems perfectly built for a 4th line role, and a player Green (or the next coach) will probably appreciate for his work-rate, pace, and two-way commitment. Signed at a very cheap 725K through next season.

If nothing else, it’s a step in the right direction to be adding a 4th liner to the lineup for a mere $725K, versus the $3-4 million per season JB typically pays for “role player” types. ;) 

(Before any Benning cultists @ me, I’m kidding. Well sorta... :ph34r:)

• Vintage 3

I have no problem moving on from Gaudette.

However,

I would of rather had Gaudette than Pearson, and would have liked a better looking/sounding/more proven return than Highmoor - I get it that there's some good stuff we're hearing about this addition... further could be stated about AG's development/potential so far into his career and he's a tad younger.... stomach issue... was unawares....  covid toss by aqua/managment coulda been anyone so i doubt that as well. 

Hope Highmoor's awesome...

cap savings are like 200k for a year...  so it's not like a move to allow another at the TDL.

Get on your horse Kole, and learn some russian everybody.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Management can talk up Highmore all they want but no one believes them. They wanted Gaudette out of here for whatever reason and they got him out of here.

Anyone with 2 functioning brain cells can see this isn't a hockey trade.

Take off the tin foil cap champ