The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Adam Gaudette to Blackhawks for Matthew Highmore

Just now, 189lb enforcers? said:

As if Benn is something to rush away for a marginal return... 9-8?

I think he has more points than Sutter, even though Sutter had a hatty one night. 

Foundational... 

Who cares??? Just give us something.... MORE Highmores plssssssssssssss.... I took my annual NHL Trade Deadline Day OFF to get excited for Canucks deals!!!! 

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Highmore seems perfectly built for a 4th line role, and a player Green (or the next coach) will probably appreciate for his work-rate, pace, and two-way commitment. Signed at a very cheap 725K through next season.

If nothing else, it’s a step in the right direction to be adding a 4th liner to the lineup for a mere $725K, versus the $3-4 million per season JB typically pays for “role player” types. ;) 

(Before any Benning cultists @ me, I’m kidding. Well sorta... :ph34r:)

If it works out, Highmore and JaceH could be a worthwhile 4th line.  (Motte should be a third liner IMO)

While the deal is clearly not a 'win', definitely one of those ones where we'll have to wait and see. Basically, it's a question of whether or not we ended up picking up another Motte type of player. If we did, then I think the trade is beneficial for us. And if not, well it opens up a roster spot for another young forward challenging for a roster spot. And it also depends on other trades that might happen and who Seattle picks from us in the expansion draft. 

As for Gaudette, wish him all the best. Looks like management is gambling that he'll become another Virtanen type and doesn't want to wait on that. Might come back to bite them later, but we'll have to wait and see how this all plays out.

2 minutes ago, BENN said:

BTW even not liking the trade right now,

Welcome Highmore, Go canucks.

Welcome indeed. Already written off in Canuck land but let’s wait and see what he’s got before we get more wild 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Virtanen#18 said:

Who cares??? Just give us something.... MORE Highmores plssssssssssssss.... I took my annual NHL Trade Deadline Day OFF to get excited for Canucks deals!!!! 

:lol:

I used to do the same, but since Draft God JB took over, it’s been largely an uneventful affair.

He’s not much of a mover. He’s more of a signer.

TDL was pretty much my Xmas, and Zi used to enjoy it even more than July 1. JB changed that for me, with the Canucks at least. 

• Cheers 1

Just a thought, but

Did not Gaudette's wife say somethings on social media.......I just remember something to that effect

And if you remember Greens reaction  to McEwen's moms comments on Social media..................

Maybe the organization would prefer no to have those types of distractions around?

Just a thought!

• Vintage 1

Just now, aGENT said:

If covid never happened, Pearson would have been in line for a modest raise in the high $3's to low $4's. Take a wild guess what 20% of that comes in around....

Gaudette has nowhere near Pearson's two way play. That's laughable.

When did I say he was?

The point is not about putting him there for the long term. It was to do what many teams do and try to showcase the positives of a player you are trying to trade instead of putting him in an ill fitted position that only accentuates his wesknesses then selling low on him.

This season is already lost despite Benning and his supporters refusing to admit that. Use it to set up for next year.

This is why you dont let your coach be alame duck in his last season. Sign Green or fire him already. He will not want to purposely do things for next year that will be used as ammo to let him go at the end of the year if they dont work. Same with Benning. Too scared to lose his job to fo what actually needs to be done here.

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, KelownaCanucksFan said:

Not liking this deal at all, seems like terrible value, not sure what benning is doing here

I’m hoping it’s a wait-and-see surprise similar to a Jack in the box thing. 

That is me being optimistic.

My inner realist is polishing up the pitchfork. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

:lol:

I used to do the same, but since Draft God JB took over, it’s been largely an uneventful affair.

He’s not much of a mover. He’s more of a signer.

TDL was pretty much my Xmas, and Zi used to enjoy it even more than July 1. JB changed that for me, with the Canucks at least. 

Sighhhhh... the last time I felt my TDL day-off was really worthwhile was that year when we got Higgins and Lapierre ... since then, it just kept going downhill... like shipping away Hodgson for Kassian... picking up Pahlsson and junk... 

oh well.. still more than 30 mins to go.. maybe JB can really surprise us by getting us a sniper to take us to the playoffs!!!

• Vintage 1

Just now, Virtanen#18 said:

Sighhhhh... the last time I felt my TDL day-off was really worthwhile was that year when we got Higgins and Lapierre ... since then, it just kept going downhill... like shipping away Hodgson for Kassian... picking up Pahlsson and junk... 

oh well.. still more than 30 mins to go.. maybe JB can really surprise us by getting us a sniper to take us to the playoffs!!!

Shipping off Virtanen would be a great start... 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

Do you think they would publically announce that and humiliate a former player.  It might not be the reason, but this was certainly outof left field and coming on the heels of some very bad press for him and his wife.

The narrative was refuted.