The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Adam Gaudette to Blackhawks for Matthew Highmore

2 minutes ago, Bang Bang Boogie said:

I agree with you.  At least Granlund managed a few NHL seasons before flaming out so I'll take that as a win. My point is more about the fact that in the bigger picture, the Shinkaruk-Granlund trade was very minor.  Both guys are no longer in the league 3 years later.

That trade at the time seemed like it favoured Calgary with Shinkaruk’s upside but at least Granlund had a shot of becoming something more than a 4th liner so it seemed like both teams had a chance to win this trade. When we hear Chicago media saying that the 25 year old guy we got is a good 4th line/AHL guy which is what his numbers to date show. It feels like a no lose scenario for Chicago and a no win scenario for Vancouver. So why make this deal. Tons of Highmore’s on waivers everyday.

1 minute ago, Johnny Torts said:

Happy for Gaudette. Gets a fresh look with a new team during a weird season. 

Doing right by the player kinda move. 

Class act by Benning. 

Reminds me of Dubas giving us Leivo a while back.

I would rather see Gaudette be happy and succeed somewhere and give it his all rather than holding onto him for a potential lottery ticket trade (3rd rounder/whatever) that May or may not have happened. 

Plus, Cocks fans liked Highmore in the playoffs, so we shall see what we have in this young buck.

Wha?

1 minute ago, garthsbutcher said:

Sheltered minutes, horrible defensively, stomach issues, cant put on wait  and went to whistler , see ya!!!

My God. He went to whistler? That place is not only a std Hotspot its also a covid Hotspot. No wonder he was traded for a sack of potatoes. If its true I'm glad he's gone.

1 hour ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Meh.  Based on what?  Didn’t he have a more important role than simply a winger for us in the postseason (not that he was any good at it though lol,,,).  Did we not advance beyond the 1st round?  In any event it might be a while before Chicago gets in playoffs again.

lol he was a healthy scratch for a # of games against Minne & STL, he produced precisely 0 points in the 10 games he did play, had 4 whole shots on net, contributed little defensively, could rarely be trusted for 10+ mins a night, a whopping 2 takeaways. 18 hits... but where any actually noticeable?

anyway, between that stat line and watching him play is what I would base my statement that no playoff team would want this guy in their top 6.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Johnny Torts said:

Happy for Gaudette. Gets a fresh look with a new team during a weird season. 

Doing right by the player kinda move. 

Class act by Benning. 

Reminds me of Dubas giving us Leivo a while back.

I would rather see Gaudette be happy and succeed somewhere and give it his all rather than holding onto him for a potential lottery ticket trade (3rd rounder/whatever) that May or may not have happened. 

Plus, Cocks fans liked Highmore in the playoffs, so we shall see what we have in this young buck.

spacer.png

• Cheers 1

I'm starting to find myself slowly losing the ability to care the more these kind of moves are made.

I don't understand anymore. Sold Gaudette at his absolutely lowest value, and bought high on Pearson when his value was low.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Tanner Pearson just got paid handsomely for being a middle six forward.  Benning bought HIGH on him and sold LOW on Gaudette.

Yes I get that, point I’m making is that it’s not either benning hater or benning fanboy , there are some of us in the middle who can see both the positive and negative. Stating that all the Benning fanboys are tagging on Gaudettte is just an asinine statement 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

That trade at the time seemed like it favoured Calgary with Shinkaruk’s upside but at least Granlund had a shot of becoming something more than a 4th liner so it seemed like both teams had a chance to win this trade. When we hear Chicago media saying that the 25 year old guy we got is a good 4th line/AHL guy which is what his numbers to date show. It feels like a no lose scenario for Chicago and a no win scenario for Vancouver. So why make this deal. Tons of Highmore’s on waivers everyday.

If you can't see that there was an issue with the player I don't know what to say to you. This was obviously something Jim had to do

Refuted or not it's intriguing that the Canucks were saying "We won't be trading guys, because it wouldn't be nice, cause covid" ...then trading the guy most assume brought the bloody bug into the room.

Still even though the trade sucks in a vacuum...it could have brought us a perfect fit for the bottom 6.

Wait a few games and see...then fire up the JB firing circus cannon.

I don’t know, but AG was a decent player who seemed like he had more to give.

In a season where he was playing without body weight and had wasted away to nothing, he still put in a respectable season here, though not without some negatives. 

I think many of us fans will wish him well and remember him as we reflect on this Benning era, down the road.  Also, I bet many of us will follow him on his new team where he’ll have a chance to be part of a great, emerging team looking to build.  

He’ll be in a fantastic setting to carve out a career for himself and should get the points needed to land a decent contact for his family. 

AG is the big winner here, possibly the biggest winner of the day. 

I hope this off-season he can get his body back and become the player he’d set out to be.  Too bad it didn’t happen here.  Also too bad that CHI is trending in the Ottawa direction too.  

Edited by 189lb enforcers?

The whole “selling low” thing is technically true but in an organic decision making process it makes sense.  

Gaudette made a splash last year but this one it seems like the team doesn’t see him as a solution to 3C or defensively responsible enough even at wing. Upon making that determination, you cut him loose.  

Gaudette was a guy I had trouble pencilling into the lineup next year.  Honesty, my knee jerk reaction was always just to plug Jake over him anyways.  

I guess we’ll see what (if anything) we have in Highmore but I see why they decided to get whatever they could for Gaudette.

I've settled in to being content with this deal now. I would have been happy to move Gaudette last year so I'm not shaken over losing him. Watching him play, it's clear that he can finish off plays with his shot from anywhere off a broken play. But that was pretty much all he had. I wouldn't have minded keeping him for some bottom-6 offence, but not a big loss. 

I would not be surprised at all if Highmore turns into another Motte for us. Motte was given a clear role and opportunity to earn his spot in Vancouver and made the most of it, exceeding expectations. Highmore could turn out to be similar in that sense. Motte wasn't a regular PKer before coming here, now he's arguably our best defensive forward. I don't think it's a stretch to think that Highmore could turn out similar.