The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Adam Gaudette to Blackhawks for Matthew Highmore

23 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Yeah, just don't think management like kind of thing............regardless of who in the family says it

I could be totally off base......just a thought

Shhh, someone might hear you having an opinion... 

Whisper it to me, or it may cost you your career. 

The New Normal... :huh:  insert sheep sounds for effect, or possibly an Orwell quote-prophecy.  

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

Can’t wait until they announce Benn to the Jets for some good Bennie and the Jets puns followed by the inevitable wail as Canucks Twitter finds out it’s for a prospect and not a 6th round draft pick. 

Was legitimately hoping this was going to be for some obscure prospect... but the 6th is nice I guess.  

12 minutes ago, coryberg said:

There is a lot of people on here that "think" players could be signed for less than they sign for. Unfortunately for them the market proves them wrong 99% of the time.

So you're saying Jim Benning has a proven track record of signing good market value contracts? Hot take.

14 minutes ago, stawns said:

but 7 fewer goals and 1 less point than Pearson last season.  People need to stop using this season as the bar.......for good or bad

Can you explain your reasoning behind omitting games played this year in an evaluation of a player? I'm not sure I'm understanding. Regardless, even if a GM thought this years performance was an anomaly, it would be prudent to utilize this years information to get a better contract.

18 minutes ago, iwtl said:

I’m glad the Canucks didn’t trade away key future pieces in a delusional attempt to make the play offs this year - so we have that

but it is now clear that a few players Canucks fans thought had some value in fact have no takers full stop -  I didn’t see anyone taking on virtaneen , sutter , or any of our cap dumps. 

Although the gaudette trade makes zero sense I am still happy that the core remains intact - and it should surprise no one that no other team has interest in our castaways. 

Sutter had plenty of interest. We didn't move him because of family/covid reasons (and that there's a sizable chance we extend him).

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Sutter had plenty of interest. We didn't move him because of family/covid reasons (and that there's a sizable chance we extend him).

For 1.75 Million, I wouldn't mind having Sutter back for another season or two. He's solid defensively and pretty good in our bottom 6.

11 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Shhh, someone might hear you having an opinion... 

Whisper it to me, or it may cost you your career. 

The New Normal... :huh:  insert sheep sounds for effect, or possibly an Orwell quote-prophecy.  

yeah I don't like this one... was hoping for a defensive prospect if we moved AG. I have to think there's some inside knowledge on why AG was sold for magic beans. 

• Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Welp, Benn to WGP for a 6th.

So that’s solved.

Juolevi now has a full time position at the NHL   level.

6th is actually OK this year for Benn, given some of the rest of the market. 

I'm thrilled for Juolevi, he deserves the spot. I just hope Baumer doesn't ruin him. 

1 hour ago, Teemu Selänne said:

lol he was a healthy scratch for a # of games against Minne & STL, he produced precisely 0 points in the 10 games he did play, had 4 whole shots on net, contributed little defensively, could rarely be trusted for 10+ mins a night, a whopping 2 takeaways. 18 hits... but where any actually noticeable?

anyway, between that stat line and watching him play is what I would base my statement that no playoff team would want this guy in their top 6.

Probably next to +/-, one of the worst things to judge a player on imho.  

2 hours ago, Angry Goose said:

I think its a dice roll-will AG become a productive 2 way top 9 player?  Hard to say

They trade a for a guy who they hope can follow Motte's development path

Is there even room for Gaudette in the top 9?

Chance Lind and Podz enters the frey, and think Gaudette is wasted on the 4th line. So far he doesn't look much like a 3C...

So many here were envious of Vegas bottom 6 crash and bang players, and rightfully so.

Could be a calculated risk? Wonder how many really knows much about this player...

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

I'm not big on Gaud but seems like he was given away for nothing. 

maybe its the arbitration rights, if Jim didn't think he'd have the cap room to deal with AG getting a raise he traded him for a non-arbitration eligible tweener. 

Kind of a sad end tho to the AG story here, not what I was hoping to see. 

6 minutes ago, aGENT said:

We just dealt a center without getting one in return (Highmore, to my knowledge has extremely limited experience at that position at the NHL level); still have to ice a roster for the remainder of this season (assuming there is one/gets actually completed).  I don't see us moving Sutter as a result given our depth done the middle now.

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

maybe its the arbitration rights, if Jim didn't think he'd have the cap room to deal with AG getting a raise he traded him for a non-arbitration eligible tweener. 

Kind of a sad end tho to the AG story here, not what I was hoping to see. 

Nah Benning said he'll have no cap issues this summer so you'd figure he could resign a player that apparently has no value.  

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

yeah I don't like this one... was hoping for a defensive prospect if we moved AG. I have to think there's some inside knowledge on why AG was sold for magic beans. 

I give him credit for playing at 172lbs with low energy levels.  

Anyone who plays sports should immediately understand how useless you feel when playing even just with the flu.  

The kid did ok in my books, considering.  Don’t really mind/hate the trade as much as I do the return commodity, which is arguably the second most easily ascertained value out there, next to one-dimensional, smallish soft skill. 

I’d rather he was traded for toughness or something the organization lacks.  I think JB just made a hole.  All will need to go well to see AGs hole filled within.  Sound like Canucks Luck?? 

43 minutes ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

Lots of potential in well fertilized dirt.
Think of all the things you could grow. 

All part of Gauds plan. 

cool beans, i think this is a move where green talked to benning said, id rather vesey,hawryluk and boyd over gaudette in the lineup, especially with petterson and pearson returning soon. very possible benning would have to waive him

3 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

We just dealt a center without getting one in return (Highmore, to my knowledge has extremely limited experience at that position at the NHL level); still have to ice a roster for the remainder of this season (assuming there is one/gets actually completed).  I don't see us moving Sutter as a result given our depth done the middle now.

Calling Gaudette a centre is also a bit of a stretch :lol:

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

Just now, 189lb enforcers? said:

I give him credit for playing at 172lbs with low energy levels.  

Anyone who plays sports should immediately understand how useless you feel when playing even just with the flu.  

The kid did ok in my books, considering.  Don’t really mind/hate the trade as much as I do the return commodity, which is arguably the second most easily ascertained value out there, next to one-dimensional, smallish soft skill. 

I’d rather he was traded for toughness or something the organization lacks.  I think JB just made a hole.  All will need to go well to see AGs hole filled within.  Sound like Canucks Luck?? 

its confusing, I have to believe that there was a pick out there somewhere for AG.