The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Adam Gaudette to Blackhawks for Matthew Highmore

lol.. totally unnecessary trade. 

Highmore looks like someone we can send straight to AHL and forget about and not a bit of exaggeration. For the Hobey Baker winner we have developed for a few years who scored 33 points last year playing 11minutes a game? 

Nice. Traded him for nothing. 

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Duodenum said:

Don't understand the move. Trading Gaudette for an AHL tweener? Better off with a draft pick. 

Don't blame JB... maybe that was the ONLY offer he received to get rid of Gaud quick before his lovely wife posts something funny on social media again to piss off the team more!!

1 minute ago, Drakrami said:

Highmore looks like someone we can send straight to AHL and forget about and not a bit of exaggeration. For the Hobey Baker winner we have developed for a few years who scored 33 points last year playing 11minutes a game? 

Hobey baker and 33 points yes. Still had no value none the less so I think the real issue here is your ability to evaluate a hockey player.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Good. Everyone should 'worry for their job'. Competition breeds champions.

seems to be a bit of a pattern developing here collecting guys with a motor in Motte, Hawryluk, Boyd now Highmore. You can pay for a good 3C with those contracts surrounding him.   

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

To all the constant negative fans / armchair gm's...if he's been trying to trade him for a year and this is all he could get, what does that tell you?! How many times has the media / a chunk of this fan base completely overated our players? What's the definition of insanity...this fanbase doing the same thing over and over! Exhausting!! 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, brbetts542 said:

Hobey baker and 33 points yes. Still had no value none the less so I think the real issue here is your ability to evaluate a hockey player.

If you cant even manage to trade a 24 year old who scored 33 points last year for some value back, you shouldn't be a GM. It actually doesnt matter if Gaudette is good or not. You sell him like a salesman. And Benning gets Highmore rofl. 

8 minutes ago, Virtanen#18 said:

Let me try again...

Is Highmore going to make his debut with us right away or... no?  thank you! gracias! merci! arigato! kamsahamida!

I'm assuming hell need to quarantine for a week after he gets here. Mid next week at the earliest likely.

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

seems to be a bit of a pattern developing here collecting guys with a motor in Motte, Hawryluk, Boyd now Highmore. You can pay for a good 3C with those contracts surrounding him.   

And some kids on ELC's.

I'm excited to see what Benning has in store this offseason, ahead of the ED etc. We have protection slots at least as options, we have cheap depth players, guys like Tryamkin, Rathbone and Lind/Jasek coming and a couple holes to fill... It should be fun!

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I'm assuming hell need to quarantine for a week after he gets here. Mid next week at the earliest likely.

And some kids on ELC's.

I'm excited to see what Benning has in store this offseason, ahead of the ED etc. We have protection slots at least as options, we have cheap depth players, guys like Tryamkin, Rathbone and Lind/Jasek coming and a couple holes to fill... It should be fun!

I think that ship has sailed (Tryamkin).  I highly doubt he'll come over on a cheap contract (he seems content playing at home).

1 minute ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I think that ship has sailed (Tryamkin).  I highly doubt he'll come over on a cheap contract (he seems content playing at home).

He and his agent both stated he wants to back and Benning last week started he wants to bring him back.

IMO you're wrong.

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

While I agree with some of the sentiment, I don’t agree with the Highmore being “nothing.”

Sure, I’m not a fan of the value. Even after getting past the shock of Gauds getting moved (I followed him through college, watched a lot of his games, and have a soft spot for him), and trying to look at the trade through an objective lens, I still value this as a “bad trade.” (Honestly, on pure value, there’s probably not enough Leipsic in the world for me to give a glow up to this pig of a trade.)

However, just viewed as a roster addition, I do like the process behind picking up a guy like Highmore, and think he could end up being a good fit for the 4th line. He represents the kind of cheap, younger, cost controlled player we should be using to fill “role player” slots in the lineup.

And given how the organization seems to have come to view Gaudette, this wasn’t “unnecessary.” They were clearly moving away from him, so at least they made a move and extracted some value.

I just don’t like the value, but I still like the new guy we added, in Highmore.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
The Leipsic/lip stick auto replace still makes me laugh
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

And some kids on ELC's.

yup. If we can get Seattle to take Holtby thats ideal and really opens up the cap space given the new bargain players and ELCs. 

If we can't afford Lowry there are C bargains out of this group: https://www.capfriendly.com/browse/free-agents/2022/points/all/center/ufa

That week between expansion and free agency will be interesting, I can't remember if they are allowing teams to talk to free agents anymore or not but even if not, I'm sure the messages will get though to guys Jim's targeting. 

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Sure, but at the end of the day, Benning's sole responsibility is to ownership.  The fan base can make as much noise and put as much pressure as they like on him, but ownership is paying his bills, and his line of reporting is to them (meaning ownership), not the fan base.

Yeah but thats not my point, its that deliberately provoking the fanbase is not a smart idea. Yes he answers directly to ownership, but that doesn't mean ownership is immune to the whims of the fanbase if they think it will affect their bottom line.

• Cheers 1