The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Adam Gaudette to Blackhawks for Matthew Highmore

Guys, just take a step back and look at the bigger picture.

We just picked up Jimmy Vesey off of waivers...

That’s what this market is right now, unfortunately. 

Still, I hope he succeeds and becomes an amazing player (AG), because he is a person, not a name on a roster sheet. Everyone should succeed. 

Im not trying to insult anyone here, just trying to make sense of the trade, again. 

2 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Mods....

This does need a new topic....same as we need a new GM

We got FLEECED....again....

...and again....

Benning is an idiot...!

In your not so humble opinion. 

3 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Amazing how quickly the Covid narrative was dropped once Vintage posted the tweet from McIntyre. Like a hot potato!

I've been highly disappointed about Gaudette/Micaela because of the Calgary fan who posted about Micaela's comments on the podcast. She didn't apologize for her comments, which were bad in itself. Yet her reluctance to acknowledge what she said was wrong is problematic, and that was about freaking COVID precautions that she didn't want to follow.

I'm pretty sure Micaela is the problem, to be clear. NOT Gaudette.

Jim Benning on Gaudette: To be quite honest, we expected him to take another step this year. He's played alright for us, but after the season he had last year, we were expecting him to come in and take another step. We didn't think he did that. #Canucks

The only step he took was on his wife’s face 

• Haha 4

7 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

While I agree with some of the sentiment, I don’t agree with the Highmore being “nothing.”

Sure, I’m not a fan of the value. Even after getting past the shock of Gauds getting moved (I followed him through college, watched a lot of his games, and have a soft spot for him), and trying to look at the trade through an objective lens, I still value this as a “bad trade.” (Honestly, on pure value, there’s probably not enough Leipsic in the world for me to give a glow up to this pig of a trade.)

However, just viewed as a roster addition, I do like the process behind picking up a guy like Highmore, and think he could end up being a good fit for the 4th line. He represents the kind of cheap, younger, cost controlled player we should be using to fill “role player” slots in the lineup.

And given how the organization seems to have come to view Gaudette, this wasn’t “unnecessary.” They were clearly moving away from him, so at least they made a move and extracted some value.

I just don’t like the value, but I still like the new guy we added, in Highmore.

Doesn't the 4th line still need to be able to score ?

9 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

While I agree with some of the sentiment, I don’t agree with the Highmore being “nothing.”

Sure, I’m not a fan of the value. Even after getting past the shock of Gauds getting moved (I followed him through college, watched a lot of his games, and have a soft spot for him), and trying to look at the trade through an objective lens, I still value this as a “bad trade.” (Honestly, on pure value, there’s probably not enough Leipsic in the world for me to give a glow up to this pig of a trade.)

However, just viewed as a roster addition, I do like the process behind picking up a guy like Highmore, and think he could end up being a good fit for the 4th line. He represents the kind of cheap, younger, cost controlled player we should be using to fill “role player” slots in the lineup.

And given how the organization seems to have come to view Gaudette, this wasn’t “unnecessary.” They were clearly moving away from him, so at least they made a move and extracted some value.

I just don’t like the value, but I still like the new guy we added, in Highmore.

Yes. Look on the bright side. Highmore can turn out to be the Motte trade. Though Highly unlikely.

The Gaudette trade could have played out much better. We have plenty of time to move him for an average return like a 3rd round or something. Why rush at the TDL with no takers because he just got COVID for Highmore? Playing the rest of the 19 games, Gaudette absolutely stinks it and we lose him for nothing in the summer, I am actually way more fine with this than trading him now for Highmore lol. 

But you know what... May be this is a locker room problem? 

Like other players hate Gaudette for spreading COVID, not following protocols or something like that. Putting it this way, it can make sense. 

Edited by Drakrami

1 minute ago, 250Integra said:

Jim Benning on Gaudette: To be quite honest, we expected him to take another step this year. He's played alright for us, but after the season he had last year, we were expecting him to come in and take another step. We didn't think he did that. #Canucks

The only step he took was on his wife’s face 

Zing!

Wasn't a huge fan of Gaudette this season, seemed a bit like he was believing his own press clippings too much.  I know athletes need to be confident, he seemed overly so to me with some of the SM stuff he posted.  I can only imagine that it would be really hard to walk into the dressing room after you brought COVID to the whole team and coaching staff.  Regardless of whether you did everything right or not, it would still be hard.  We'll never know whether that factored into the trade issue or not.  I do believe Benning when he says that the management thought they would seem him take a step forward this year and didn't believe they saw that.  Was it because of his health issues?  Was it because he thought he should be playing in the top 6?  I didn't see him as a top 6 this year, but I'm not the best evaluator of talent.  

Looking forward to seeing what we have in Highmore, maybe he's a fit on our team, or he's a fit in Utica and one of our other youngsters gets more ice time.  Makes some room for someone in the lineup, if not this season then next.  

Gaudette showed some flashes but generally I think that people are thinking more about his potential than what he actually did for the team, which is actually not much.  Honestly I kept hoping for more from him.  He made some good plays but mostly what I remember of his play is him getting muscled off the puck.  He never had the physical strength to be an NHLer.  I mean some smaller guys can be successful but it's still a full contact game.  He had his chances and failed to impress.  I have no idea who the new guy is but let's give him a chance.  At least it isn't doing the same old thing and expecting different results.  Go Canucks Go! 

P.S. - I wonder if this does have anything to do with the Covid outbreak?  Either his role in it or the fact that his health has been compromised.  It seems unlikely on both counts but I suppose possible.  It would show low class on the Canucks organization to pick a scapegoat and it would be underhanded, and perhaps traceable and possible to reverse the trade, if they were selling damaged goods.

3 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Doesn't the 4th line still need to be able to score ?

Any offense that comes from the fourth line is house money.  Gaudette doesn't win faceoffs, isn't particularly fast, is poor defensively, and lacks size.  He isn't a good fit for a 4th line role.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, nux_win said:

P.S. - I wonder if this does have anything to do with the Covid outbreak?  Either his role in it or the fact that his health has been compromised.  It seems unlikely on both counts but I suppose possible.  It would show low class on the Canucks organization to pick a scapegoat and it would be underhanded, and perhaps traceable and possible to reverse the trade, if they were selling damaged goods.

Pretty standard for a player to have to pass a physical when he's traded.

• Cheers 1

Not a huge fan of this move but if I've learned one thing about watching Bennings trade and CDC reactions it is: Wait and See. Everybody cheered, celebrated and was ready to dance in the streets when we traded Burrows for Dahlen or Hansen for Goldobin, and how did those work out. 

Just like everybody had the pitchforks and torches out when we traded Vanek for Motte and Jokinen or even Dahlen for Karlsson. We have to wait and see how this plays out over the long term, maybe it legitimately works out better than expected or a lot worse or, more likely, both players never really make any kind of impact and it's a wash of a move.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Well IMac is just quoting Benning at his press conference where he has to be saying the right things, it doesn't do him any favors to throw his player under the bus and air all the dirty laundry to the media. Whereas Sekeres is quoting his 'anonymous, secret, backroom sources that are connected to the team and have first hand knowledge' so it's better to take both with a grain of salt

• Vintage 1