The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Adam Gaudette to Blackhawks for Matthew Highmore

4 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

No name undrafted guy coming back has a whole 3  points this season meaning Dim Jim will sign him to 3 x 3 like Pearson 

chicago must be laughing in their trade war room 

Stats bubble playoffs 2019-2020

Highmore  9 games  3 goals 1 assist  4 points  -1

Gaudette  10 games 0 goals 0 assists  0 points  -1

Gaudette downfall began in last year's playoffs.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

I said when that video was leaked that he might have played his last game in Van if he was ground zero.  If they flaunted the rules, how could he ever look Harmonic in the eye again?  Also, if true, this is a "we've got your back" to a guy like Hamonic, who I'm sure they're good to sign again.

I dont think your theory is crazy. At all. 

If, Guad and/or his wife were dismissive of their covid restrictions then I would ship him out too. I mean, the whole team is sick and she is on video mocking and refusing the idea of not being allowed to grocery shop. 

Not a wild idea at all to think there could be truth to it, in time the truth will likely come out. When I heard that it was Gaud that was traded and looking at the return we got, the covid angle popped in my head right away. 

• Cheers 2

13 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

His points last season suggest he is a whole lot better than the no namer we took off the Hawks hands

gauds was snake bitten on many attempts this year   

He was. His release is terrible though. Way to slow and predictable. If he improves that then he will score more imho.

• Cheers 2

27 minutes ago, Darius said:

I was a big Gaudette fan when he was in College, thought he would have good potential.  He had a great motor and enough of a scoring touch to put him in the upper echelon of his peers in College.  I always thought that his line mate Dylan Sikura (who wen to Chicago in the 6th round) had a higher ceiling. In the games I watched it was Sikura who stirred the drink on that line.  Who knows, maybe Chicago has plans to re-unite the two at some point.  (Im assuming Sikura is still in Chicago's system)

Now for some reality.  Gaudette is roughly  one year younger than Bo Horvat.   I think we have seen everything we need to see to come to a pretty safe conclusion that what you have seen is what you get.  Soft on the puck and the boards, average defensively, has a decent shot but as a package probably wont be a top 6 player and isnt specialized in anything enough to be a bottom 6 player.  Who knows I could be wrong but I dont see much more upside from Gaudette.

It was a nice story while it lasted.  Hobey Baker winner drafted in the 5th round, look like a scoring machine in Northeastern during their cup run.  

My concern is that he may not have been deployed properly by Greene and Co. I remember watching his scoring hi lights in college on youtube and thinking he reminded me of OV with that shot from the top of the circle.

NHL coaches are always trying to turn scorers into checkers. Gauds bought in really well IMO, and was never really rewarded with offensive line mates or ice time. I'll be watching and curious to see how Chicago uses him. Maybe he gels with Dach... they kind of remind me of each other. We all saw glimpses of it. The kid likes to score goals. Shackled with Rooster and Sutter was never going to allow him to do what he is good at. Sniping.

This one could come back to bite us.

Edited by bad alice french
  • Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, bad alice french said:

My concern is that he may not have been deployed properly by Greene and Co. I remember watching his scoring hi lights in college on youtube and thinking he reminded me of OV with that shot from the top of the circle.

NHL coaches are always trying to turn scorers into checkers. Gauds bought in really well IMO, and was never really rewarded with offensive line mates or ice time. I'll be watching and curious to see how Chicago uses him. Maybe he gels with Dach... they kind of remind me of each other. We all saw glimpses of it. The kid likes to score goals. Shackled with Rooster and Sutter was never going to allow him to do what he is good at. Sniping.

This one could come back to bite us.

I agree there may be a possibility that he goes to the Hawks and puts up some goals.

As far as his utilization here I don’t think he could have been moved up the lineup as a centre.   

could he be an effective scoring winger? I’m curious to see how Chicago deploys him. 

Liked the way Gaudette celebrated scorring goals, just didn't score enough of them.  Has upside and speed, but is a tweener. Could develop into a top 6 goal scoring winger for the Hawks.  Could also fill out with stomach issues in the past and become a good sized player.  All that said, just didn't seem like there was a good fit for him on the roster.  With up and coming prospects at forward I can see why management has made this move.      

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

More upside for sure than the plug we took in exchange 

For goals yes. More upside all around except for potential at center. Gauds didn't have the skating for center whereas this new kid does. But ya, time will need to prove this one out and for now it's pretty underwhelming a return. 

Edited by rekker
  • Cheers 1