The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Adam Gaudette to Blackhawks for Matthew Highmore

Liked the way Gaudette celebrated scorring goals, just didn't score enough of them.  Has upside and speed, but is a tweener. Could develop into a top 6 goal scoring winger for the Hawks.  Could also fill out with stomach issues in the past and become a good sized player.  All that said, just didn't seem like there was a good fit for him on the roster.  With up and coming prospects at forward I can see why management has made this move.      

• Hydration 1
59 minutes ago, rekker said:

He was. His release is terrible though. Way to slow and predictable. If he improves that then he will score more imho.

More upside for sure than the plug we took in exchange 

I'm not mad just extremely disappointed.  No real rhyme or reason to these moves and again this just reeks of dysfunction from ownership down.  What the hell is the plan?

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

More upside for sure than the plug we took in exchange 

For goals yes. More upside all around except for potential at center. Gauds didn't have the skating for center whereas this new kid does. But ya, time will need to prove this one out and for now it's pretty underwhelming a return. 

Edited by rekker
  • Hydration 1
1 hour ago, Rubik said:

why are you so obsessed with a bottom 6 player's production? for scoring, there's your top 6. jimbo said gaudette wasn't going to work out that way, there's just no place for him there, especially with lind and podkolzin coming in. Highmore sounds like an awesome player: skates really well, goes to the net every time, plays his heart out and very good defensively/good PK guy.

how about not panicking every time benning makes a move?

If you get zero production out of your bottom 6 you get us .... out of the playoffs 

you can’t rely on 2 lines to score specially when Pearson is in that top 6 

all good competitive teams have a bottom 6 that contribute offensively 

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

yup. If we can get Seattle to take Holtby thats ideal and really opens up the cap space given the new bargain players and ELCs. 

If we can't afford Lowry there are C bargains out of this group: https://www.capfriendly.com/browse/free-agents/2022/points/all/center/ufa

That week between expansion and free agency will be interesting, I can't remember if they are allowing teams to talk to free agents anymore or not but even if not, I'm sure the messages will get though to guys Jim's targeting. 

That list of centers is pretty rough looking when you consider it's a 3c we'd likely be looking for. 

37 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

Petey still follows him, not sure Bo ever was. These people clearly aren't doing their homework. 

• Hydration 2
1 hour ago, stanleysteamersmyl said:

Stats bubble playoffs 2019-2020

Highmore  9 games  3 goals 1 assist  4 points  -1

Gaudette  10 games 0 goals 0 assists  0 points  -1

Gaudette downfall began in last year's playoffs.

That's the point .... Guads had a downfall

the no name game has never had a high point 

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

Funny how we look at previous seasons to look at a player's worth in this situation, but when it came to the Pearson signing, it was suggested to be a clear sign of decline. Hmm....

Big difference, pretty sure Gauds decline has no age related impact

2 minutes ago, rekker said:

For goals yes. More upside all around except for potential at center. Gauds didn't have the skating for center whereas this new kid does. But ya, time will need to prove this one out and for now it's pretty underwhelming a return. 

Agree

no issue with trading Gauds but man what a terrible return 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Squamfan said:

then why did you say this saves cap if we don't

200K is 200K for this season. Also Gaudette needs to be resigned after this season so he will probably get a bump. Also one less contract to worry about the less I worry about Benning not having enough time.

Edited by smokes
  • Hydration 1
1 minute ago, RWMc1 said:

Benning said that Gaudette wanted to be in the top 6 but Benning wanted him to work on his two way game. Gaudette is also arbitration eligible. We have walked away from players like that in the past few seasons. At least we got a return on a sheltered player with inflated stats from last season. These inflated stats could have lead to a forced over-payment in a time when cap is very valuable.

Good point. Similar to the Hutton situation back in the day.

• Thanks 1
  • Hydration 2
3 hours ago, Patrick Kane said:

Love this! Great work Stan.

As the resident guru of all things Blackhawks, what exactly are we getting in Highmore?  Heard he had some good moments in the playoffs against VGK?
Is there potential for him to become another Tyler Motte?

When the entire bottom six has like 8 goals and you are supposed to improve from the year before, something has to give l. Hoping to see virtanen go today but he survives yet another TDL

picking up vesey and Boyd is benning trying to get some more ketchup out of the bottle

I mean Gaudette's value had to be close to waiver territory anyway. From what I saw on our team, Vesey was a superior player (and with size) and we got him for free off of waivers. At least we got someone who can play the PK with Highmore. I've generally been critical of Benning for his moves post playoffs but this I don't mind. 

• Hydration 3
2 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

I dont think your theory is crazy. At all. 

If, Guad and/or his wife were dismissive of their covid restrictions then I would ship him out too. I mean, the whole team is sick and she is on video mocking and refusing the idea of not being allowed to grocery shop. 

Not a wild idea at all to think there could be truth to it, in time the truth will likely come out. When I heard that it was Gaud that was traded and looking at the return we got, the covid angle popped in my head right away. 

While people are saying it's unfair to blame him, especially at this point...i don't neccesarily disagree. But, let's say it was for argument sake. You don't think all of his teamates (plus their familys) would be pissed if he and his wife blatantly disobeyed the rules and brought this to them all. For sure they would, it's covid, not showing up late for practice. It's super serious! Look at all it's effected, including their health. I could def see that being that last straw (on top of his play / wanting to play up line up) leading to being traded today.

Edited by IRR
  • Hydration 1
  • Vintage 2