The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Adam Gaudette to Blackhawks for Matthew Highmore

6 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

Well, there is the captain unfollowimg him on Twitter,  fights in practice,  and Benning saying today that he didn't commit to playing a 200 foot game and thought he should be playing in the tip six . Jim said " it was time to move on from both parties". Reading between the lines .

There was more going on that prompted this trade, than we will likely ever know.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, knucklehead91 said:

Kole Lind may have graduated from the AHL to the NHL. Maybe bringing up Lind last week was to move Gaudette and see what Lind can do on the big stage.

As far as I’m aware, Lind has not been sent back down.

I was hoping for a bit better of a return though...

Podz is coming next season, perhaps 1 of Vesey or Boyd will stick next with the club next season... 

Gaudette also needs a new contract next season and currently carries a cap hit of 950k... 

Dont think Vesey is sticking.  He has serious motivation issues and he will fall out of favour here like he has elsewhere.  Boyd is competing for a rth line position with about 8 other players.

1 minute ago, EddieVedder said:

Dont think Vesey is sticking.  He has serious motivation issues and he will fall out of favour here like he has elsewhere.  Boyd is competing for a rth line position with about 8 other players.

Vesey has looked alright in the 4 games he played. Would be nice to see what he can do in the remaining 19 games

• Cheers 3

23 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Are you talking about Gaud or McCann?  

Gaudette. McCann wasn't a good locker room fit either though.  Apparently,  he was immature and arrogant. Ironic. At least one player was actually willing to slam McCann.  Imagine what was being said behind the scenes. 

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/courier-archive/news/jared-mccann-acted-like-lonely-star-says-andrey-pedan-3033381

Edited by cuporbust
  • Cheers 1

If Highmore can slot in as a solid, hard working third line centre (or fourth line if they go Petey, Miller, Bo) that doesn't kill offense then it is a good trade. Gaudette is OK but I don't see where he fits on this team, might do well next to Toews, etc. Who knows.

Honestly, I don't really care one way or the other if Benning stays on but I am starting to hope he does for another five years to torture all the cry babies in this market...freaking people never shut up about how smart they are...painful.

Edited by 5nothincanucksohno
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

37 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

Well, there is the captain unfollowimg him on Twitter,  fights in practice,  and Benning saying today that he didn't commit to playing a 200 foot game and thought he should be playing in the tip six . Jim said " it was time to move on from both parties". Reading between the lines .

Except that being unfollowed thing is malarkey.  I checked after that post and Horvat was still following him.

We don’t have to invent things.  He wasn’t that good of a player and got traded at his lowest value in a bad trade that won’t make or break our team.

Edited by Provost

1 hour ago, stawns said:

the Canucks got 25 cases of covid from him.  Solid contribution!

I know, I know..........speculation

I think its extremely unfair to resort to this to justify the return on the trade tbh. 

I wonder what people would say if it was Horvat who gave the team covid. Or EP. Or QH. Or Jim Benning. Would any of those players immediately be traded for scraps because of it? Would benning be instantly fired?

Its a low blow just to justify a sub par GM selling extremely low on a player. Benning was ALWAYS going to trade Gaudette. His name has been rumored all year long even before covid hit the team. 

I am fine with him being traded. I just think there were better ways to increase his value rather than drive it into the ground first.

13 minutes ago, 5nothincanucksohno said:

If Highmore can slot in as a solid, hard working third line centre (or fourth line if they go Petey, Miller, Bo) that doesn't kill offense then it is a good trade. Gaudette is OK but I don't see where he fits on this team, might do well next to Toews, etc. Who knows.

Honestly, I don't really care one way or the other if Benning stays on but I am starting to hope he does for another five years to torture all the cry babies in this market...freaking people never shut up about how smart they are...painful.

You should check out his career faceoff stats if you hated Gaudette in that role.

Gaudette was never going to be the long term 3rd line center imo. Top 6 winger maybe. But he was not a fit in a defensive role at all.

The problem with the Canucks player development for a long time has been trying to fit square pegs into round holes. There are many players who have cratered after coming to the Canucks or thrived after leaving. A big reason is other teams play them in roles that make sense to maximize their strengths and minimize their weaknesses. 

Turning Gaudette into a defensive center was not really a path to success for him or the team. Both the player and the team bear responsibility for his struggles.

Edited by wallstreetamigo
  • Vintage 1

14 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

Gaudette. McCann wasn't a good locker room fit either though.  Apparently,  he was immature and arrogant. Ironic. At least one player was actually willing to slam McCann.  Imagine what was being said behind the scenes. 

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/courier-archive/news/jared-mccann-acted-like-lonely-star-says-andrey-pedan-3033381

Well, seeing as McC was just a rookie, I can forgive him for that sort of thing. 

About Gaud...I don't like what I'm hearing, but it still sounds enhanced by some fans.  I suppose we'll never know what really happened.

11 hours ago, MattJVD said:

Uhhh, what? We trade Gaudette for worse-Gaudette straight up?

I think Benning has a specific plan for every position on the team -- which sounds great -- but when a player doesn't fit in the hole he has set up for him, he gets rid of him, it almost doesn't matter to him what he gets back, the big thing is to dump the player who doesn't fit the hole.  This guy he is getting back doesn't appear to be as good a player as Gaudette, so we have a net loss in team talent, but Benning is okay with this BECAUSE the new guy will fill an entirely different (less critical) role.  

Mathematically, this looks bad; hockey is different, but still....

Remember a couple of years back when we had a huge number of "almost NHL-ready" players who came to camp?  Was supposed to create competition, bring out the best in players.  Problem is: doesn't increase the talent level one bit.

1 minute ago, 5nothincanucksohno said:

Not sure where "hated Gaudete" came from but cool story...must be one of those people. NHL faceoff % is a small sample size so hard to make claims one way or the other at this point.

The fact he hasnt taken many faceoffs in his career despite playing some nhl games sort of indicates he is not being used as a center let alone could be expected to step in immediately as 3rd line center on the Canucks. 

Trading Gaudette now is probably setting the stage to re-sign Sutter I bet. Who is better in that role for sure but is also likely to cost a ton more on whatever deal Benning gives him. 3 years, 3.5 mil, ntc/nmc, expansion protection?

6 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

The fact he hasnt taken many faceoffs in his career despite playing some nhl games sort of indicates he is not being used as a center let alone could be expected to step in immediately as 3rd line center on the Canucks. 

Trading Gaudette now is probably setting the stage to re-sign Sutter I bet. Who is better in that role for sure but is also likely to cost a ton more on whatever deal Benning gives him. 3 years, 3.5 mil, ntc/nmc, expansion protection?

hopefully its 2.5 for 1-2 years

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:
SCOUTING REPORT

Is a proven, productive forward at lower levels. Can play both wing and center, which adds to his overall value. Is also fairly responsible in the defensive zone. Lacks optimum size (5-11, 181 pounds) for a forward at the National Hockey League level (especially if he is to play center in the big league), so he must get stronger.

Speed kills and that’s Highmore’s biggest asset as it puts him into great positions on the ice to score. For leagues that are deeper, Highmore shoots the puck a lot and does not hesitate to throw a hit or block a shot.

From what I recall watching from the bubble in the summer, Highmore was a huge contributor that lead to the Blackhawks upsetting the Oilers in the playin round. He was trusted on the PK and being on the ice in the closing minutes. Often was pushed up the lineup throughout the series.

High energy kid, skates like the wind, and isn't afraid to lay the body when he can. He sorta is like Tyler Motte 2.0. Also very sound defensively but not a lot of offense to his game. However, considering that we likely lost Beagle to LTIR, potentially losing Sutter, you need a defensive center who can play PK, Highmore is that. Also has cost certainty with another year on his deal at a really cheap 725K deal. Basically getting a lateral move with this for a guy who can fit better in the bottom six.

Love Gauds but he just isn't what we need, doesn't have enough poise with the puck to do much with it and his two way game is just so suspect you can't trust him on the ice as a center.

I agree with your analysis, but the conclusion is worrying.  It's almost as if we accept a net decline in talent/potential offensive ability so that we can "fit a player" around our big stars.  I.e., a net decline in team talent. Does a team really need a bunch of Tyler Motte types? I had a feeling at the time that McCann was seen as expendable in the same way: not going to be top scoring center and not good enough defensively.   But 40 points a year out of a third line center (Gaudette's best 5 years, maybe?) is a lot better than a return player who gets half those points but plays a high energy game and looks good killing penalties.  A Gaudette type who can score 40 points would fill in better up and down the line up when your EP and Horvat types are injured too.