The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Adam Gaudette to Blackhawks for Matthew Highmore

9 hours ago, gurn said:

Thank you Jim Benning, doing a good thing for a player that was going to get continually abused by many so called fans and the media.

Would have been nothing but "Gaudette got the team sick" for the next few years. Given the orginizations support for mental health initiatives, not surprising at all.

Who nees that type of b.s. in their life.

Good guy thing to do .

Well done J.B.

Very good points there Gurn. Since you mentioned those points it made me remember another trade that fans didn’t understand at the time. Zack Kassian and a 5th for Brandon Prust. At the time fans were not pleased with the trade. Kassian had addiction problems and had negative value which is why Benning had to throw in the 5th round pick. Anyone that has gone through or has a family member go through addiction treatment will tell you a fresh start is what someone like Kassian needed. Mind you it took Zack another shake up after his short stint in Montreal. The change had to be made in Van. But this isn’t NHL21 these are still human beings that have issues that management has to address. So once again Benning gives a player a new chance on things. It might be a business but it shows class and character for Benning to do these moves. Good points that you brought into good discussion Gurn. 

• Thanks 2
  • Hydration 2

4 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Bunch of speculation on Gaud.  Gimme some truth. 

I don't recall JMc being a cap dump, but he only had 1 year to prove himself and the off he goes.  Jared McCann has  21 pts in 29 games this season and has just been moved to Pits #1 PP.  He would look pretty good on our top 6.

Well, there is the captain unfollowimg him on Twitter,  fights in practice,  and Benning saying today that he didn't commit to playing a 200 foot game and thought he should be playing in the tip six . Jim said " it was time to move on from both parties". Reading between the lines .

2 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

Well, there is the captain unfollowimg him on Twitter,  fights in practice,  and Benning saying today that he didn't commit to playing a 200 foot game and thought he should be playing in the tip six . Jim said " it was time to move on from both parties". Reading between the lines .

Are you talking about Gaud or McCann?  

6 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

There was more going on that prompted this trade, than we will likely ever know.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, knucklehead91 said:

Kole Lind may have graduated from the AHL to the NHL. Maybe bringing up Lind last week was to move Gaudette and see what Lind can do on the big stage.

As far as I’m aware, Lind has not been sent back down.

I was hoping for a bit better of a return though...

Podz is coming next season, perhaps 1 of Vesey or Boyd will stick next with the club next season... 

Gaudette also needs a new contract next season and currently carries a cap hit of 950k... 

Dont think Vesey is sticking.  He has serious motivation issues and he will fall out of favour here like he has elsewhere.  Boyd is competing for a rth line position with about 8 other players.

1 minute ago, EddieVedder said:

Dont think Vesey is sticking.  He has serious motivation issues and he will fall out of favour here like he has elsewhere.  Boyd is competing for a rth line position with about 8 other players.

Vesey has looked alright in the 4 games he played. Would be nice to see what he can do in the remaining 19 games

• Hydration 3

23 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Are you talking about Gaud or McCann?  

Gaudette. McCann wasn't a good locker room fit either though.  Apparently,  he was immature and arrogant. Ironic. At least one player was actually willing to slam McCann.  Imagine what was being said behind the scenes. 

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/courier-archive/news/jared-mccann-acted-like-lonely-star-says-andrey-pedan-3033381

Edited by cuporbust
  • Hydration 1

If Highmore can slot in as a solid, hard working third line centre (or fourth line if they go Petey, Miller, Bo) that doesn't kill offense then it is a good trade. Gaudette is OK but I don't see where he fits on this team, might do well next to Toews, etc. Who knows.

Honestly, I don't really care one way or the other if Benning stays on but I am starting to hope he does for another five years to torture all the cry babies in this market...freaking people never shut up about how smart they are...painful.

Edited by 5nothincanucksohno
  • Thanks 1
  • Hydration 1
  • Haha 2

37 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

Except that being unfollowed thing is malarkey.  I checked after that post and Horvat was still following him.

We don’t have to invent things.  He wasn’t that good of a player and got traded at his lowest value in a bad trade that won’t make or break our team.

Edited by Provost

1 hour ago, stawns said:

the Canucks got 25 cases of covid from him.  Solid contribution!

I know, I know..........speculation

I think its extremely unfair to resort to this to justify the return on the trade tbh. 

I wonder what people would say if it was Horvat who gave the team covid. Or EP. Or QH. Or Jim Benning. Would any of those players immediately be traded for scraps because of it? Would benning be instantly fired?

Its a low blow just to justify a sub par GM selling extremely low on a player. Benning was ALWAYS going to trade Gaudette. His name has been rumored all year long even before covid hit the team. 

I am fine with him being traded. I just think there were better ways to increase his value rather than drive it into the ground first.

13 minutes ago, 5nothincanucksohno said:

If Highmore can slot in as a solid, hard working third line centre (or fourth line if they go Petey, Miller, Bo) that doesn't kill offense then it is a good trade. Gaudette is OK but I don't see where he fits on this team, might do well next to Toews, etc. Who knows.

Honestly, I don't really care one way or the other if Benning stays on but I am starting to hope he does for another five years to torture all the cry babies in this market...freaking people never shut up about how smart they are...painful.

You should check out his career faceoff stats if you hated Gaudette in that role.

Gaudette was never going to be the long term 3rd line center imo. Top 6 winger maybe. But he was not a fit in a defensive role at all.

The problem with the Canucks player development for a long time has been trying to fit square pegs into round holes. There are many players who have cratered after coming to the Canucks or thrived after leaving. A big reason is other teams play them in roles that make sense to maximize their strengths and minimize their weaknesses. 

Turning Gaudette into a defensive center was not really a path to success for him or the team. Both the player and the team bear responsibility for his struggles.

Edited by wallstreetamigo
  • Vintage 1

14 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

Gaudette. McCann wasn't a good locker room fit either though.  Apparently,  he was immature and arrogant. Ironic. At least one player was actually willing to slam McCann.  Imagine what was being said behind the scenes. 

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/courier-archive/news/jared-mccann-acted-like-lonely-star-says-andrey-pedan-3033381

Well, seeing as McC was just a rookie, I can forgive him for that sort of thing. 

About Gaud...I don't like what I'm hearing, but it still sounds enhanced by some fans.  I suppose we'll never know what really happened.

6 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

You should check out his career faceoff stats if you hated Gaudette in that role.

Not sure where "hated Gaudete" came from but cool story...must be one of those people. NHL faceoff % is a small sample size so hard to make claims one way or the other at this point.