The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Adam Gaudette to Blackhawks for Matthew Highmore

11 hours ago, MattJVD said:

Uhhh, what? We trade Gaudette for worse-Gaudette straight up?

I think Benning has a specific plan for every position on the team -- which sounds great -- but when a player doesn't fit in the hole he has set up for him, he gets rid of him, it almost doesn't matter to him what he gets back, the big thing is to dump the player who doesn't fit the hole.  This guy he is getting back doesn't appear to be as good a player as Gaudette, so we have a net loss in team talent, but Benning is okay with this BECAUSE the new guy will fill an entirely different (less critical) role.  

Mathematically, this looks bad; hockey is different, but still....

Remember a couple of years back when we had a huge number of "almost NHL-ready" players who came to camp?  Was supposed to create competition, bring out the best in players.  Problem is: doesn't increase the talent level one bit.

1 minute ago, 5nothincanucksohno said:

Not sure where "hated Gaudete" came from but cool story...must be one of those people. NHL faceoff % is a small sample size so hard to make claims one way or the other at this point.

The fact he hasnt taken many faceoffs in his career despite playing some nhl games sort of indicates he is not being used as a center let alone could be expected to step in immediately as 3rd line center on the Canucks. 

Trading Gaudette now is probably setting the stage to re-sign Sutter I bet. Who is better in that role for sure but is also likely to cost a ton more on whatever deal Benning gives him. 3 years, 3.5 mil, ntc/nmc, expansion protection?

6 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

The fact he hasnt taken many faceoffs in his career despite playing some nhl games sort of indicates he is not being used as a center let alone could be expected to step in immediately as 3rd line center on the Canucks. 

Trading Gaudette now is probably setting the stage to re-sign Sutter I bet. Who is better in that role for sure but is also likely to cost a ton more on whatever deal Benning gives him. 3 years, 3.5 mil, ntc/nmc, expansion protection?

hopefully its 2.5 for 1-2 years

• Hydration 1
11 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:
SCOUTING REPORT

Is a proven, productive forward at lower levels. Can play both wing and center, which adds to his overall value. Is also fairly responsible in the defensive zone. Lacks optimum size (5-11, 181 pounds) for a forward at the National Hockey League level (especially if he is to play center in the big league), so he must get stronger.

Speed kills and that’s Highmore’s biggest asset as it puts him into great positions on the ice to score. For leagues that are deeper, Highmore shoots the puck a lot and does not hesitate to throw a hit or block a shot.

From what I recall watching from the bubble in the summer, Highmore was a huge contributor that lead to the Blackhawks upsetting the Oilers in the playin round. He was trusted on the PK and being on the ice in the closing minutes. Often was pushed up the lineup throughout the series.

High energy kid, skates like the wind, and isn't afraid to lay the body when he can. He sorta is like Tyler Motte 2.0. Also very sound defensively but not a lot of offense to his game. However, considering that we likely lost Beagle to LTIR, potentially losing Sutter, you need a defensive center who can play PK, Highmore is that. Also has cost certainty with another year on his deal at a really cheap 725K deal. Basically getting a lateral move with this for a guy who can fit better in the bottom six.

Love Gauds but he just isn't what we need, doesn't have enough poise with the puck to do much with it and his two way game is just so suspect you can't trust him on the ice as a center.

I agree with your analysis, but the conclusion is worrying.  It's almost as if we accept a net decline in talent/potential offensive ability so that we can "fit a player" around our big stars.  I.e., a net decline in team talent. Does a team really need a bunch of Tyler Motte types? I had a feeling at the time that McCann was seen as expendable in the same way: not going to be top scoring center and not good enough defensively.   But 40 points a year out of a third line center (Gaudette's best 5 years, maybe?) is a lot better than a return player who gets half those points but plays a high energy game and looks good killing penalties.  A Gaudette type who can score 40 points would fill in better up and down the line up when your EP and Horvat types are injured too. 

I saw this on Reddit and thought WTF did I just watch? I’m not trying pass judgement on the person but I’ll just say it’s a head-scratcher why his wife posts this kind of stuff. Weird.

• Haha 2
12 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

I saw this on Reddit and thought WTF did I just watch? I’m not trying pass judgement on the person but I’ll just say it’s a head-scratcher why his wife posts this kind of stuff. Weird.

lol wtf

• Haha 3
8 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

For 1.75 Million, I wouldn't mind having Sutter back for another season or two. He's solid defensively and pretty good in our bottom 6.

And he has had a pretty good year for avoiding injuries, which is significant in his case.  I think he's worth as much as 2.5.  As long as we buy out Beagle, there is room and money for him.  Which reminds me: are we restricted to just one buy out a year? Eriksson is death, but the Beagle and Roussel deals are pretty bad too.

• Hydration 1
52 minutes ago, gameburn said:

I think Benning has a specific plan for every position on the team -- which sounds great -- but when a player doesn't fit in the hole he has set up for him, he gets rid of him, it almost doesn't matter to him what he gets back, the big thing is to dump the player who doesn't fit the hole.  This guy he is getting back doesn't appear to be as good a player as Gaudette, so we have a net loss in team talent, but Benning is okay with this BECAUSE the new guy will fill an entirely different (less critical) role.  

Mathematically, this looks bad; hockey is different, but still....

Remember a couple of years back when we had a huge number of "almost NHL-ready" players who came to camp?  Was supposed to create competition, bring out the best in players.  Problem is: doesn't increase the talent level one bit.

I dont hate the trade on the basis that Gaud wasnt going to be protected and something is better than nothing. if that nothing ends up being something that becomes an issue however adding Bowey helps that something become nothing . you follow? So if Seattle has to pick from virt Holtby or loui pick your poison not helping a division rival may be worth it. contingent on the something they choose from being nothing.

Edited by hammertime
  • Hydration 1
2 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Wife kicker, video game rager, COVID spreader and now camera sniffer.

Gonna give Booth a run for weirdest Canuck year.

Looked and sounded like my dog after he snorted a kibble up his nose.

• Haha 2

Just like with Virtanen there may have been a bit of immaturity in him.

We need more guys like Bo and Petey who live and breath hockey and are willing to put in the extra work.

• Hydration 2
  • Burr 2
2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

And this is why Benning drafts for character.  I'd add Boeser into that group for sure with how much he's improved this year, and how great a human he is off the ice.

True.

Should have included him as well. Throw Demko in there too.

• Hydration 3