The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Adam Gaudette to Blackhawks for Matthew Highmore

34 minutes ago, Angry Goose said:

Personally, if this kid can turn I to another Motte like bottom 6 player I would be stoked.  Him and Hawryluk zipping around together could be awesome.  

I also think it's time for Motte to play on the third line.  But there is a log jam even if they trade JV, buy out AR and re-sign Vesey and Hawryluk.  

Lind and MacEwan too.  

I like the internal competition tho

Cancuks already have a Tyler Motte his name is Tyler Motte. 

2 hours ago, Provost said:

Except that being unfollowed thing is malarkey.  I checked after that post and Horvat was still following him.

We don’t have to invent things.  He wasn’t that good of a player and got traded at his lowest value in a bad trade that won’t make or break our team.

If we are building a culture, there needs to be a standard players meet in order to wear the Canuck sweater. If trading a player that doesn’t meet that standard is what needs to be done then getter done. However. Don’t force it if you’re not getting the return. It’s very fair to say he is worth roughly half of Sam Bennett. That’s a 2nd round pick. Would any team give up a 2nd round pick for Highmore? Absolutely not. I doubt anyone would give up anything for Highmore. We lost this trade regardless of the outcome. 

This is pure speculation but it almost seems like Benning isn’t articulate enough to finesse rival GM’s. He isn’t a salesman and that effects his performance on many different levels. Whether that involves pitching ideas to ownership or selling/ acquiring assets. He is too honest, he lacks creativity. I think a good GM needs to be likeable but also a snake. Ironically he is too good of a guy. That is why people are also empathetic towards him. He has a humbling persona and I think people take advantage of that. 

• Cheers 1

Not going to sugar coat it. 

Adam was never really put in a position to be a scorer. It’s  one thing to try to mold a player to fill a positional need and another to recognize at which part of the game they excel at early in their career and give them the opportunities to succeed there. 

Gaudette on the 3rd line centre, anchored by underwhelming wingers is not a great opportunity for a young player to succeed and refine their game.

Under these circumstances Adam never quite found the high octane offensive game that he excelled at in college.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

39 minutes ago, stawns said:

I think you're downplaying AG's glaring issues as a bottom 6 player.  A lineup is filled with roles and there was no role in Van for Gaud to fill.  Contenders don't force a square peg into a round hole

Agreed. He simply was not a defense-first player, which is what you need in those roles.

And honestly, our top 6 plays a pretty decent 2 way game, and I feel he was always going to be the weak link - even if he makes it as a top 6 winger. 

Just not a great fit, but I wish him the best. Seemed like a good guy. 

I'm more just questioning the return. Despite his flaws, Gaudette tries hard and when he's on his game, has got some obvious skill. Apparently Highman is fast, but otherwise doesn't seem like he will be much of a contributor. (Unlike Motte, who can actually pot some goals) Time will tell.

1 hour ago, gameburn said:

And he has had a pretty good year for avoiding injuries, which is significant in his case.  I think he's worth as much as 2.5.  As long as we buy out Beagle, there is room and money for him.  Which reminds me: are we restricted to just one buy out a year? Eriksson is death, but the Beagle and Roussel deals are pretty bad too.

Hate to tell you this, but no one is buying out Beagle for a couple of reasons. #1, he’s been effective at shutting down the opposition power plays. #2, he’s on LTIR, and I’m hearing that it may be career ending.

On the brighter side, expect them to buy out Eriksson this summer as it’s finally economical to do it from a cap basis.

24 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Agreed. He simply was not a defense-first player, which is what you need in those roles.

And honestly, our top 6 plays a pretty decent 2 way game, and I feel he was always going to be the weak link - even if he makes it as a top 6 winger. 

Just not a great fit, but I wish him the best. Seemed like a good guy. 

I'm more just questioning the return. Despite his flaws, Gaudette tries hard and when he's on his game, has got some obvious skill. Apparently Highman is fast, but otherwise doesn't seem like he will be much of a contributor. (Unlike Motte, who can actually pot some goals) Time will tell.

I think one of the key drivers of this trade was to move Gaudette somewhere where he might be able to succeed, for his own sake. He clearly wasn't working out in VAN. There are other young players that were going to come in a overtake him. For this reason I am pretty sure Benning has been trying to trade Gaudette for quite some time and really wanted to get it done this season while he is signed and not have to go through another contract cycle. Agreed the return is not great, but Highmore is likely the best offer JB got for Gaud. I am glad he pulled the trigger for Gaud's sake!

• Cheers 3

10 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Hate to tell you this, but no one is buying out Beagle for a couple of reasons. #1, he’s been effective at shutting down the opposition power plays. #2, he’s on LTIR, and I’m hearing that it may be career ending.

On the brighter side, expect them to buy out Eriksson this summer as it’s finally economical to do it from a cap basis.

If you buy out erriksson you pay 5 million in cap space (4 next year and 1 the year after). Simply burying him in the AHL brings his cap down to $4.925 and you still have his services on call.

46 minutes ago, garthsbutcher said:

Because Gaudette is a very mediocre tweener who can’t play on the other side of the puck or win a face off. Oh and he gave the whole team Covid

So trade him for a guy who is probably a minor leaguer because logic. At least Gaudette made it to the show, tweener or not, he is the better player. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, coryberg said:

If you buy out erriksson you pay 5 million in cap space (4 next year and 1 the year after). Simply burying him in the AHL brings his cap down to $4.925 and you still have his services on call.

Saving that extra $.925 million next year and using it on someone who is actually useful will help the team more.

• Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, coryberg said:

4 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Saving that extra $.925 million next year and using it on someone who is actually useful will help the team more.

Not to mention that we have a potential cap crunch next season and not so much the year after so reducing LE's cap hit to $4m next season is advantageous to resigning our key RFAs and icing a decent roster next season.

Plus as @aGENT already noted it saves $1m in real cash paid by the owner.

P.S. Interesting to note that cap hit relief moves up to $1.125m next season so Loui's buried contract cap hit would be $4.875m next season, not $4.925m 

• Cheers 3

15 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

Not to mention that we have a potential cap crunch next season and not so much the year after so reducing LE's cap hit to $4m next season is advantageous to resigning our key RFAs and icing a decent roster next season.

Plus as @aGENT already noted it saves $1m in real cash paid by the owner.

P.S. Interesting to note that cap hit relief moves up to $1.125m next season so Loui's buried contract cap hit would be $4.875m next season, not $4.925m 

Doesn’t really save the owner real cash if they turn around and spend that newly created cap space.  Just mentioning it in case there are no buyouts. 

3 minutes ago, mll said:

Doesn’t really save the owner real cash if they turn around and spend that newly created cap space.  Just mentioning it in case there are no buyouts. 

Having a guy like say...I don't know... Highmore instead, still saves Frank $275k.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, WillyFox said:

Dont like this trade not sure why we gave up on gaudette for a career AHLer?

Not sure Gaud had the professionalism or drive to be who they wanted him to be.  He wasn't an effective 2-way player, nor was he a great bottom two lines player.  He wanted to play in the top 6 and none of us could think he deserves that.  Making room for Podz?  I don't mind trading Gaud.  It really just came to what comes back.

• Vintage 2