The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Adam Gaudette to Blackhawks for Matthew Highmore

5 hours ago, kilgore said:

Jim has a history of losing value.  Sure Gaudette was a5th rounder, but he was found value.  It could balance out somewhat with the ones like Jake who’s value never reached what was expected.  But no chance of seeing that balanced out now. Nor  Madden and a second gone for nothing. 
in another department JB losses value by inking declining vets to generous contracts to the point they even become useless as trade bait for younger replacements. Stagnant value.

Then he also loses value by the domino effect of losing actual useful good team pieces because of those overvalued contracts.

It’s not so much dealing Gaudette away.  He was a tweener and was alright and I thought somewhat snake-bitten this season, but what disturbed me more was his playoff performance or lack thereof.  He was invisible and looked small out there. So maybe he did need a change in scenery.

all that doesn’t change the fact that JB has a pattern of losing value in the team. And the options to be more creative that go along with  that position

From the get go.  Lost Hamhius for nothing. Then Vrbata.  Yeah I know “the other GMs are being mean.... the only offer was a joke so I refused”.  But was that it or was it just Jim’s inexperience dealing with other seasoned more clever GMs to find a way?

i don’t know.  I gave JB a lot rope in his first 5 years or so, but he has slowly and cumulatively eroded my faith when in almost every occasion, less value comes back for what was invested.  That’s no way to run a hockey franchise

Hamhuis was declining significantly and if I recall refused a trade before his contract was up.  I don't blame the GM for that one.

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, mll said:

Doesn’t really save the owner real cash if they turn around and spend that newly created cap space.  Just mentioning it in case there are no buyouts. 

Well to be fair Eriksson is not going to be on the roster next season anyway. He has effectively already been replaced by other players, so their salary is already accounted for. So it just a question of whether you pay him $4m in real cash next year to sit in the minors, or whether you pay him $3m over two years in a buy out.

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, Bitter Melon said:

Yeah but thats not my point, its that deliberately provoking the fanbase is not a smart idea. Yes he answers directly to ownership, but that doesn't mean ownership is immune to the whims of the fanbase if they think it will affect their bottom line.

Seriously? How have they provoked the fans? You think this trade was done to provoke the fans?

• Haha 2

I think there is more that goes into a trade like this then people realize.  AG didn’t meet expectations this year;  we have this new guy on D now.  Seemed liked a preety even trade to me because I don’t think AG was gonna pan out and it’s nice to fill a spot on defence.  

1 hour ago, BigTramFan said:

I think one of the key drivers of this trade was to move Gaudette somewhere where he might be able to succeed, for his own sake. He clearly wasn't working out in VAN. There are other young players that were going to come in a overtake him. For this reason I am pretty sure Benning has been trying to trade Gaudette for quite some time and really wanted to get it done this season while he is signed and not have to go through another contract cycle. Agreed the return is not great, but Highmore is likely the best offer JB got for Gaud. I am glad he pulled the trigger for Gaud's sake!

Great post. 

• Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Having a guy like say...I don't know... Highmore instead, still saves Frank $275k.

An Eriksson buyout creates 2M in cap space and saves them 1M.  If they spend the 2M it won’t save the owner real money.  It’s a better allocation of cap space but does not really help save real cash.  Highmore takes only 725K of the 2M but they will likely also want to use up the remaining 1.275M.

As much as I hate this trade, I can see why JB did it - Gaudette was at a crossroads in his career. He had a massive season last year and declined from it, if he scored the same amount he'd be resigned for 2-3M comfortably. If he was better defensively or at faceoffs he'd have a spot on our 3rd line and replace Sutter. Sadly he did none of those things and is arguably our most dispensable player. The return wasn't great but was never going to be, and we get a guy who we can expose under a cheap contract.

This move isn't as bad as it seems.

Plus the Benn for Bowey move is basically all for the ED, we can expose a rubbish Bowey who will hopefully get picked and if not, he's the cheapest 7D you can have really.

• Cheers 2

We will regret this trade just like we will regret keeping Pearson 

We dumped the wrong guy 

Gauds played great last season, had health issues this season and is playing under an incompetent coach on a pathetic bottom 6 

he will light it up for the Hawks 

awful move Benning with a joke of a return 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, canuck2288 said:

We dumped the wrong guy 

Gauds played great last season, had health issues this season and is playing under an incompetent coach on a pathetic bottom 6 

maybe. But people said the same thing about Forsling. How'd that work out? 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, canuck2288 said:

We dumped the wrong guy 

I feel deflated to at this point I am just going to follow this philosophy ...

764.jpg

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, SNuck said:

You're implying Gaudette was traded because of his wife? Come on man. 

My dads cousin, Tony Feltrin was burried in the minors because of his wife. So yea, its entirely possible. He managed to make his way back to the show only to lose his eye and have his career ended

• Like 1

As with all bieksa jokes it had very real undertones of truth. He said something along the lines of “you can’t wear #96 in Vancouver for obvious reasons and then #88? It was time for this guy to go”.

I took it with a grain of salt but it is just another piece of the puzzle when trying to figure out this guys character.

1 minute ago, brbetts542 said:

As with all bieksa jokes it had very real undertones of truth. He said something along the lines of “you can’t wear #96 in Vancouver for obvious reasons and then #88? It was time for this guy to go”.

I took it with a grain of salt but it is just another piece of the puzzle when trying to figure out this guys character.

Those are actually good points.. his choice in numbers was odd for a guy who hadn’t made much of himself. 
I’m actually glad he’s gone. He wasn’t showing signs he could be a consistent third line centre.