The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Adam Gaudette to Blackhawks for Matthew Highmore

Its also possible here, that Gaudette wasn't really following team protocol, which lead to the outbreak of Covid on the team and the Canucks decided that it was time to break with him and move on. Yes, this is speculation.

Just now, Bob.Loblaw said:

Jim Benning said this three days ago: 

Well when an offer like this comes up you gotta pull the trigger 

/s

• Haha 1
7 minutes ago, stawns said:

well, he was the first to go on the protocol list and thst video of his wife did not play well for their attitude.  If they openly flaunted the rules and questioned the restrictions and the entire team got sick, it's no surprise they shipped him out asap.  

IF this is the reason then I’m on board. Hopefully the Canucks at least save a few dollars.

I’m generally a fan of what Benning has done in his time here but this one is a head scratcher unless there’s something going on behind the scenes we don’t know? I just don’t see how you sell the upside in Gaudette for yet another redundant, undersized piece.

Just now, HKSR said:

I'll have to admit, I don't know anything about Highmore.... but from what I can see, he doesn't look like anything to be excited about.

is Gaud?  Not really

• Upvote 3

Maybe it is time to start tying up Benning's hands... 

In the past year

Positives- Hamonic and Demko contracts 

Negatives - Holtby, Pearson and now this trade... 

Demko contract, even I probably could have done. 

• Haha 1

This Highmore character only has about 2 seasons' worth of pro games despite being 25, so perhaps the Canucks feel he has some untapped potential. I imagine they targeted a gritty C with Sutter being a UFA and Beagle's future in question due to injury.

That is the rationale, anyway. I'm not that high on Gaudette but we lost value here.

1 minute ago, SNuck said:

Really weird how people are framing this as because Gaudette supposedly gave the team Covid (with nothing to back that up). That's a serious accusation to throw around with no evidence, and also a ridiculous defense of management. 

Not really weird when his wife literally said before the season started she wasn't going to listen to the Canucks or NHL precautions, and then Adam is the one who tested first and then the whole team had to deal with it. All speculation, but kind of weird to just ignore her comments actually. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
Just now, HKSR said:

I'll have to admit, I don't know anything about Highmore.... but from what I can see, he doesn't look like anything to be excited about.

Looks like Tyler Motte 2.0 as a best case... I would make that trade is a heartbeat! But that's a tough act to follow.

1 minute ago, kanucks25 said:

Why would we need to protect him? Why would Seattle take him? And if they did, we would be happy.

I'm not advocating for protecting Highmore.  My point is that he is not exempt so he would need protection if the Canucks don't want expose him.  Gaudette needed protection too so this is a lateral move at best (in that particular regard).

Would Seattle take him?  Probably not, but it seemed like there was a reasonable chance the Canucks would protect Gaudette if they didn't trade him. 

1 minute ago, stawns said:

to be fair, there's pretty damning video evidence that his wife, at least, wasn't taking it seriously.  Not like there's no smoke here at all

You're implying Gaudette was traded because of his wife? Come on man. 

• Vintage 2

Fire Benning. He traded Gauds who is similar age, with more upside for Highmore who is basically just a 4th line tweener. Benning needs to go.

• Hydration 2
Just now, Kenny Blankenship said:

I’m generally a fan of what Benning has done in his time here but this one is a head scratcher unless there’s something going on behind the scenes we don’t know? I just don’t see how you sell the upside in Gaudette for yet another redundant, undersized piece.

I'm thinking Travis Green suiting up as a center might not be much of a difference than Highmore.:P

• Haha 1
Just now, stawns said:

is Gaud?  Not really

He had 33 points in 59 games last year.  That's 46pts over 82 games.  Shows what he's capable of.  What can you tell me about Highmore?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1