The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Adam Gaudette to Blackhawks for Matthew Highmore

22 hours ago, SNuck said:

You're implying Gaudette was traded because of his wife? Come on man. 

My dads cousin, Tony Feltrin was burried in the minors because of his wife. So yea, its entirely possible. He managed to make his way back to the show only to lose his eye and have his career ended

• Like 1

As with all bieksa jokes it had very real undertones of truth. He said something along the lines of “you can’t wear #96 in Vancouver for obvious reasons and then #88? It was time for this guy to go”.

I took it with a grain of salt but it is just another piece of the puzzle when trying to figure out this guys character.

1 minute ago, brbetts542 said:

As with all bieksa jokes it had very real undertones of truth. He said something along the lines of “you can’t wear #96 in Vancouver for obvious reasons and then #88? It was time for this guy to go”.

I took it with a grain of salt but it is just another piece of the puzzle when trying to figure out this guys character.

Those are actually good points.. his choice in numbers was odd for a guy who hadn’t made much of himself. 
I’m actually glad he’s gone. He wasn’t showing signs he could be a consistent third line centre. 

We got more for Benn than AG...which makes no sense....we even got more for trading our 4th for a 5th rounder...Bowie at 25 years old may be just a late bloomer like many D. men are...seemingly worth way more than a minor upgrade at the draft.

AG is likely to enjoy scoring some highlight reel goals against us ...and every one is going to be a reminder or how mistaken Benning was ...!

2 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Good to know that we’re not the only market where the GM gets panned for every move.

EE273CAF-EE99-4A7A-A34C-495378FC774C.jpeg

MTL is brutal.   Maybe one of the reasons Bergevin still has his job after all these years is he's got thick skin.   As a player he was the prankster, joker, clown (and was actually pretty good too), glad he uses humour to punk the media.    A lot of his stuff hasn't worked out, a lot of it has too.   He's a decent example of an average GM. 

• Hydration 1
3 minutes ago, knucklehead91 said:

Okay soo.... I just need to get my head around a few things. 
So just going off the general consensus, but we should have gotten more for Gaudette. Based on the feeling that he sucked in the faceoffs, was a liability in his own zone, wasnt producing which means hes relatively useless in either end of the ice. Oh and he has some health issues that have been effecting his weight.....

I don’t know enough or much at all about Highmore to know wether I like the trade or not. Right now I feel a little off about the trade because I don’t know what we actually got in return. But looking at what we gave away, I’m not sure wether or not it’s a bad trade.

But what I will not do is sh*t all over AG and expect a good return and then blame GMJB for not getting a 2nd or 3rd or 4th for a player who I just shat on.

We got what we could get for all that  player could give us..

And that's the crux.   The market is what the market is.    To me this was more about freeing up a spot, exactly the same with Benn to get OJ into the lineup.   Team has a few tweeners to look at right now (including JV), and players that we might want to use a protection slot on like Lind.   Know TG job is to win games,  so not expecting anything but his best foot forward until we are close to mathematically eliminated - given the amount of games we have expect rest days in during that phase to get a glance at some, but once we are done see Lind and Rafferty getting a look at least, hopefully Podz can come over too. 

• Like 1
  • Hydration 3
5 minutes ago, knucklehead91 said:

Okay soo.... I just need to get my head around a few things. 
So just going off the general consensus, but we should have gotten more for Gaudette. Based on the feeling that he sucked in the faceoffs, was a liability in his own zone, wasnt producing which means hes relatively useless in either end of the ice. Oh and he has some health issues that have been effecting his weight.....

I don’t know enough or much at all about Highmore to know wether I like the trade or not. Right now I feel a little off about the trade because I don’t know what we actually got in return. But looking at what we gave away, I’m not sure wether or not it’s a bad trade.

But what I will not do is sh*t all over AG and expect a good return and then blame GMJB for not getting a 2nd or 3rd or 4th for a player who I just shat on.

We got what we could get for all that  player could give us..

Highmore seems like something you'd expect from a 5th round pick, so I guess from that pov the pick value is retained. 

I was hoping for a pick or a defensive project for him, but it is what it is. If Highmore can be a cost-effective 4th line role player then great we need that. We can't have that for 3 million aav anymore.

It'll be really interesting to see where Chicago puts him. Does he actually get a top 6 shot there?

• Hydration 4

Oooookay.... so y’all take this with a grain of salt. But my coworker whos son is buddies with some of the guys on the NorthEastern University team, said that when Vancouver was on the road, Gaudette allegedly left the hotel to go visit/party with some of the boys from NorthEastern University and he is the one who brought COVID into the locker room.

• Hydration 1
  • Haha 1
19 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

We got more for Benn than AG...which makes no sense.

You're right, that makes no sense at all. A 6th round pick has a 16% chance of becoming a regular NHLer (more than 99 games). Odds are that 6th pick becomes nothing at all.

8 minutes ago, knucklehead91 said:

Oooookay.... so y’all take this with a grain of salt. But my coworker whos son is buddies with some of the guys on the NorthEastern University team, said that when Vancouver was on the road, Gaudette allegedly left the hotel to go visit/party with some of the boys from NorthEastern University and he is the one who brought COVID into the locker room.

In canada?

• Haha 1
17 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Highmore seems like something you'd expect from a 5th round pick, so I guess from that pov the pick value is retained. 

I was hoping for a pick or a defensive project for him, but it is what it is. If Highmore can be a cost-effective 4th line role player then great we need that. We can't have that for 3 million aav anymore.

It'll be really interesting to see where Chicago puts him. Does he actually get a top 6 shot there?

With the caveat a 5th rounder that actually made it to the fringe show ... very rare considering 3rd rounders have a 12.5% chance historically of becoming a roster player for 200 games.   And the entirety of all the rounds past the third together have about the same odds.   AG himself is already rare.   Hope he figures it out in CHI.    Highmore is just a body.   Sure the team will give him some games to see how he fits in.   Motte sure worked out for us.   And it pushes guys like McEwen and Lind. 

5 minutes ago, coryberg said:

You're right, that makes no sense at all. A 6th round pick has a 16% chance of becoming a regular NHLer (more than 99 games). Odds are that 6th pick becomes nothing at all.

And 200 games minuscule. 

• Hydration 1
9 minutes ago, stawns said:

In canada?

I wouldn't be surprised.  A lot of Canadians are sporting letters earned from universities and colleges south of the 49th, much like how a lot of the guys from south of the 49th come up here to get an education. 

4 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

well, I suppose this is the big question then, does Highmore have a better chance to become Motte 2.0, than Gaudette has of being a top 6 winger? 

I really have no idea. Like with Forsling, who was a top 4 lock around here with some, we'll just have to wait and see. 

For sure.    AG has a decent chance of coming back to bite us.    Feel their is a character thing going on that doesn't with the team, some of his comments made after signing rubbed me a little.   McAan didn't last long after rubbing them the wrong way either.    Eventually we will know more, but on paper CHI looks to have won this trade.     Get it with context of opening up a spot.  JV might be next, or even get waived if his production doesn't step it up.   But not until next year-after the ED.

Edited by IBatch
  • Hydration 2