The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Adam Gaudette to Blackhawks for Matthew Highmore

9 hours ago, coryberg said:

If you buy out erriksson you pay 5 million in cap space (4 next year and 1 the year after). Simply burying him in the AHL brings his cap down to $4.925 and you still have his services on call.

We need cap space. After the coming season, the 1 million won't really matter as we're in good shape.

This coming off season, 2 million in cap space buys a pretty good player.

• Hydration 1
7 minutes ago, IBatch said:

For sure.    AG has a decent chance of coming back to bite us.    Feel their is a character thing going on that doesn't with the team, some of his comments made after signing rubbed me a little.   McAan didn't last long after rubbing them the wrong way either.    Eventually we will know more, but on paper CHI looks to have won this trade.     Get it with context of opening up a spot.  JV might be next, or even get waived if his production doesn't step it up.   But not until next year-after the ED.

There's nothing I've seen from AG to lead me to think that is likely to happen.

Coming out of university I was definitely bullish on him, but even when he was scoring, I think most could see he wasnt going to be much more than a marginal nhl'er

• Hydration 2
33 minutes ago, knucklehead91 said:

Oooookay.... so y’all take this with a grain of salt. But my coworker whos son is buddies with some of the guys on the NorthEastern University team, said that when Vancouver was on the road, Gaudette allegedly left the hotel to go visit/party with some of the boys from NorthEastern University and he is the one who brought COVID into the locker room.

Roussel says Gaudette was pulled because of contact tracing.  He was at a restaurant that had Covid cases.  He says he doubts anyone blames Gaudette as it could have happened to anyone.  Says himself has been dining out as it was a week off.

• Vintage 1
9 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

Well to be fair Eriksson is not going to be on the roster next season anyway. He has effectively already been replaced by other players, so their salary is already accounted for. So it just a question of whether you pay him $4m in real cash next year to sit in the minors, or whether you pay him $3m over two years in a buy out.

Another important factor people are missing. Not only does it save the $1m, it also spreads the cost over two years (where you hopefully see fans in stands and revenues shored up).

IMO it's all but guaranteed he's bought out. Just makes too much sense.

8 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

He had a massive season last year and declined from it...

3 hours ago, canuck2288 said:

Gauds played great last season, 

I keep seeing this sentiment, but did he really?

He was one of the most sheltered players in the league to put up the offense (outlier IMO) he did last year. I mean good on him for doing so when put in the position, but that doesn't strike me as sustainable. His defensive play was a major concern last year and hasn't improved at all... And his offense, the one thing you might keep him around for, fell off a cliff as well.

Doesn't strike me as 'a guy you win with'. Didn't strike me as one last year either, despite his 'great/massive' year.

1 hour ago, knucklehead91 said:

Okay soo.... I just need to get my head around a few things. 
So just going off the general consensus, but we should have gotten more for Gaudette. Based on the feeling that he sucked in the faceoffs, was a liability in his own zone, wasnt producing which means hes relatively useless in either end of the ice. Oh and he has some health issues that have been effecting his weight.....

I don’t know enough or much at all about Highmore to know wether I like the trade or not. Right now I feel a little off about the trade because I don’t know what we actually got in return. But looking at what we gave away, I’m not sure wether or not it’s a bad trade.

But what I will not do is sh*t all over AG and expect a good return and then blame GMJB for not getting a 2nd or 3rd or 4th for a player who I just shat on.

We got what we could get for all that  player could give us..

Pretty much this. And with all his flaws you can also add the ED depressing his value even further. People really need to view this as: Instead of letting him walk for nothing this summer, we got a high motor, solid defensively winger that may turn out to be Motte-like.

• Hydration 2
  • Vintage 1
9 hours ago, mll said:

An Eriksson buyout creates 2M in cap space and saves them 1M.  If they spend the 2M it won’t save the owner real money.  It’s a better allocation of cap space but does not really help save real cash.  Highmore takes only 725K of the 2M but they will likely also want to use up the remaining 1.275M.

Sunk cost vs productive player. Spreads cost over two years.

It's happening bruh.

2 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

We got more for Benn than AG...which makes no sense....we even got more for trading our 4th for a 5th rounder...Bowie at 25 years old may be just a late bloomer like many D. men are...seemingly worth way more than a minor upgrade at the draft.

AG is likely to enjoy scoring some highlight reel goals against us ...and every one is going to be a reminder or how mistaken Benning was ...!

Yeah maybe he scores a nice goal...and for the rest of the game he’s pinned in his own end with no clue of what he’s doing. 

• Hydration 1
  • Vintage 1

Maybe there is something to the disliked in the locker room rumors haha.

His thank you and Farwell Ig post was only acknowledged by 3 teammates. 

Usually the boys always comment on teammates leaving.

• Hydration 2
  • Vintage 1
1 hour ago, mll said:

Roussel says Gaudette was pulled because of contact tracing.  He was at a restaurant that had Covid cases.  He says he doubts anyone blames Gaudette as it could have happened to anyone.  Says himself has been dining out as it was a week off.

The only problem with “contact tracing” is that Gaudette was actually sick. His wife tweeted it and was taking care of him. So its not connection its contraction

Doesn’t Benning choosing to mention Gaudette thought he should play higher insinuate he was wanting things he didn’t earn or wasn’t good enough for? Attitude and things becoming a pain off the ice? Unless weird social media posts and sore tummies is something all Canucks went through ...maybe Benning had a rule “if you give your teammates a disease you get traded!”

11 hours ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

Hamhuis was declining significantly and if I recall refused a trade before his contract was up.  I don't blame the GM for that one.

A "declining significantly" player that just retired from the NHL in 2020? :mellow:

And no, Hamhuis did not "refuse a trade"

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/stars-sold-on-russell-as-hamhuis-doesnt-go-to-suitable-destination-at-trade-deadline

According to Hamhuis, he agreed on Wednesday to consider the Blackhawks and a day later to consider the Stars. And he stressed after the deadline passed Monday that he would have gone to either club if a deal was done.

“I kind of expected something might happen with those teams because they reached out — it wasn’t that I suggested those teams,” said Hamhuis, who ruled out going to the Eastern Conference. “I thought something may get done, maybe more in those two or three days that we let them know.

“But with the deadline coming today, you never know what can happen. The no-movement clause was something we earned and I didn’t want to handcuff the Canucks and be open to a few teams. My hope is I can be of value to this team and help develop young players. I feel like I’ve put my heart and soul into this organization.

Did he make it more difficult by only agreeing to two teams?  Sure. But a better, more experienced GM at the time, would have found a way to get something.  Dallas had the last laugh as they quickly signed him as soon as he was available that Summer.

"We tried hard" to move Hamhuis and Vrbata just wasn't a great excuse.

Edited by kilgore
2 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

We need cap space. After the coming season, the 1 million won't really matter as we're in good shape.

This coming off season, 2 million in cap space buys a pretty good player.

We don't need the cap space anymore.   I truly hope JB doesn't buy LE or anyone out and doubt he will have too.   Yes i understand a lot of false news on this site scares people "we now only have 17.4 to sign 1000 people".   QHs and EP simply aren't as good YET as some folks think.   EP had a bigger sample size but is 19th in PGP and a lot worse in actual points since he came in.   QHs doesn't have a two way game yet.    JB knows he's got the cap space.    He also knows things we don't - maybe Seattle has already made a deal, maybe not.    Looks like we will be fine, even with long term deals.   I'm hoping for a 6.5-7 x 6 for both.   Said it two weeks ago and got burned for saying it.    Looks a lot more likely now doesn't it ? 

• Hydration 3
1 hour ago, knucklehead91 said:

The only problem with “contact tracing” is that Gaudette was actually sick. His wife tweeted it and was taking care of him. So its not connection its contraction

His version contradicts Green saying Gaudette tested positive on the morning of game day but that it’s not a variant so they are playing.   

Roussel’s version is that Gaudette was not positive and it was mere contact tracing that had him pulled from practice. He even says that it’s because Gaudette was negative that they also practiced the next day.  He was preparing for the game when the trainer came and told them that Gaudette and Green had tested positive and to go home as the game is cancelled.  He initially thought it was a joke.  There was over a day and half where Roussel thought Gaudette was negative and out due to close contact.

Makes you wonder if that lag between players realising he was positive might have not contributed to the outbreak.  Did they act more prudently or just went about things as normal.  Players don’t have to wear masks while working out for example.

It’s in french: 

https://www.957kyk.com/audio/384547/la-covid-frappe-les-canucks-et-antoine-roussel-nous-raconte-comment-ca-se-passe-pour-lui

• Hydration 1
2 hours ago, stawns said:

There's nothing I've seen from AG to lead me to think that is likely to happen.

Coming out of university I was definitely bullish on him, but even when he was scoring, I think most could see he wasnt going to be much more than a marginal nhl'er

Decent chance of coming back to bite us in the most unlikely way.   Because JB's  freed up a spot for the next up to bat and that's the entire point of this trade.   Should have said that too (again).  Decent chance to come back and make people mad or disappointed well that's already happened.     I'm 100% ok with this deal Stawns, but AG is still a decent tweener and you just never know.   Said in a different post that not too long ago I doubted he's going to make it.  Before the trade.   Decent odds only means to me that he it's not beyond the realm of reason that AG can turn things around.  Should have been more specific.    And yes on paper one for one this isn't a good look.   But it's not about that either.    

41 minutes ago, kilgore said:

A "declining significantly" player that just retired from the NHL in 2020? :mellow:

And no, Hamhuis did not "refuse a trade"

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/stars-sold-on-russell-as-hamhuis-doesnt-go-to-suitable-destination-at-trade-deadline

According to Hamhuis, he agreed on Wednesday to consider the Blackhawks and a day later to consider the Stars. And he stressed after the deadline passed Monday that he would have gone to either club if a deal was done.

“I kind of expected something might happen with those teams because they reached out — it wasn’t that I suggested those teams,” said Hamhuis, who ruled out going to the Eastern Conference. “I thought something may get done, maybe more in those two or three days that we let them know.

“But with the deadline coming today, you never know what can happen. The no-movement clause was something we earned and I didn’t want to handcuff the Canucks and be open to a few teams. My hope is I can be of value to this team and help develop young players. I feel like I’ve put my heart and soul into this organization.

Did he make it more difficult by only agreeing to two teams?  Sure. But a better, more experienced GM at the time, would have found a way to get something.  Dallas had the last laugh as they quickly signed him as soon as he was available that Summer.

"We tried hard" to move Hamhuis and Vrbata just wasn't a great excuse.

Are we still on this after all these years? We had a deal in place with Dallas, they acquired Russell and switched their offer to us to low ball us. We said no. Dallas got the last laugh? Well they had a window and Hamhuis would've helped them in those playoffs, but they were eliminated I believe in the 2nd round. They didn't make the playoffs after Hamhuis joined them. If they're laughing, then the jokes on them.

Because we said no though, the next TDL, we got good value moving Burrows and Hansen (unfortunately the players acquired didn't pan out, but that's the risk with prospects) who both ended their careers shortly after. If we took the low ball offer, then that would've set the tone with us the following TDL surely.

Vrbata was a whole different story. Primadonna is all that needs to be said.

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Sedinery 1
21 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Decent chance of coming back to bite us in the most unlikely way.   Because JB's  freed up a spot for the next up to bat and that's the entire point of this trade.   Should have said that too (again).  Decent chance to come back and make people mad or disappointed well that's already happened.     I'm 100% ok with this deal Stawns, but AG is still a decent tweener and you just never know.   Said in a different post that not too long ago I doubted he's going to make it.  Before the trade.   Decent odds only means to me that he it's not beyond the realm of reason that AG can turn things around.  Should have been more specific.    And yes on paper one for one this isn't a good look.   But it's not about that either.    

The health issue was a red flag for me. Not based on anything other than weight. If his d-side game had been a bit better I might question the deal more. The fact that Miller has done so well at C since Petey went down also plays into it. JB can extend Sutter and work his 4C back and forth with the 3C based on opposition. Also might be an indication that Beagle's future is in doubt.

Bottom line is nucks determined he's not good enough for top 6 or defensively adequate for bottom 6 and/or he's not a good fit character wise. You can argue the timing of this trade, of course the return would have been better a year ago, but IMO it's good to get rid of players not fitting in. Should have made that call for virts long ago instead of resigning him.

• Hydration 1
4 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

We got more for Benn than AG...which makes no sense....we even got more for trading our 4th for a 5th rounder...Bowie at 25 years old may be just a late bloomer like many D. men are...seemingly worth way more than a minor upgrade at the draft.

AG is likely to enjoy scoring some highlight reel goals against us ...and every one is going to be a reminder or how mistaken Benning was ...!

Yes. A lot of gms are totally missing the boat on AG. You’d think there would have been a bidding war for him.

Paddy Kane should be sh$tting himself because AG is gonna come in     there to replace him on pp 1.

Just kidding. ;)

• Haha 2
12 hours ago, Nucksownyou said:

Seriously? How have they provoked the fans? You think this trade was done to provoke the fans?

Go back and read the chain of discussion if you're going to insert yourself into it.

• Upvote 1