The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Adam Gaudette to Blackhawks for Matthew Highmore

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

Are we still on this after all these years? We had a deal in place with Dallas, they acquired Russell and switched their offer to us to low ball us. We said no. Dallas got the last laugh? Well they had a window and Hamhuis would've helped them in those playoffs, but they were eliminated I believe in the 2nd round. They didn't make the playoffs after Hamhuis joined them. If they're laughing, then the jokes on them.

Because we said no though, the next TDL, we got good value moving Burrows and Hansen (unfortunately the players acquired didn't pan out, but that's the risk with prospects) who both ended their careers shortly after. If we took the low ball offer, then that would've set the tone with us the following TDL surely.

Vrbata was a whole different story. Primadonna is all that needs to be said.

Thanks for joining in. I was answering a poster that said "Hamhuis was declining significantly and if I recall refused a trade before his contract was up."   Both of which were untrue.

And yeah, at the time, Dallas was laughing in that they didn't have to give up anything at all for him.  Hindsight is 20/20 in that they didn't make the playoffs the next season.

It should never have gotten down to such a low ball offer in the first place. I wonder why did other GMs think they could fleece the greenhorn GM Jim?  And that drawing a line in the sand didn't help much as other GMs sure have seemed to always get a little more than most pundits think was possible in deals with Jim since that time as well. And declining FA's also must love to sign on with Jim's team to wind up their careers.

All I see from your post is excuses, excuses, and more excuses.

Edited by kilgore

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

We don't need the cap space anymore.   I truly hope JB doesn't buy LE or anyone out and doubt he will have too.   Yes i understand a lot of false news on this site scares people "we now only have 17.4 to sign 1000 people".   QHs and EP simply aren't as good YET as some folks think.   EP had a bigger sample size but is 19th in PGP and a lot worse in actual points since he came in.   QHs doesn't have a two way game yet.    JB knows he's got the cap space.    He also knows things we don't - maybe Seattle has already made a deal, maybe not.    Looks like we will be fine, even with long term deals.   I'm hoping for a 6.5-7 x 6 for both.   Said it two weeks ago and got burned for saying it.    Looks a lot more likely now doesn't it ? 

I agree with you. I am hoping for 6.5 - 7 each on QH and EP, but I think it might get as high as 7.5 although I think EP will get slightly higher.

I do think that we buy out LE this summer, I know it would be nice to just have Eriksson completely off the books as of end of next season, but I think they want him out of the way of younger players, completely. I think they will see the 2 million in extra cap space as something that can be better spent than on LE this next season and will look to either promote from within or look for other 3rd / 4th line improvements.

Will see what happens, but yes...we're good on cap space for next year and everyone needs to calm down on it.

• Cheers 1

If there were locker room issues with Gaudette then it would make sense why the Canucks were more willing to move him without recouping as much value.

At this point Highmore does not inspire much confidence that the Canucks have acquired at least an exciting piece of the puzzle for the future.  At best, Highmore seems like a lesser Hawryluk (who is more versatile since he can also play C).

I'll be curious to see how the Blackhawks end up using Gaudette.  Even though their core is aging, they're still a deeper team at forward than the Canucks.  Gaudette could get a chance to play with some decent offensive talent.  Would be interesting if the Blackhawks don't bother protecting him in expansion and if he ends up on the Kraken.

34 minutes ago, kilgore said:

Thanks for joining in. I was answering a poster that said "Hamhuis was declining significantly and if I recall refused a trade before his contract was up."   Both of which were untrue.

And yeah, at the time, Dallas was laughing in that they didn't have to give up anything at all for him.  Hindsight is 20/20 in that they didn't make the playoffs the next season.

It should never have gotten down to such a low ball offer in the first place. I wonder why did other GMs think they could fleece the greenhorn GM Jim?  And that drawing a line in the sand didn't help much as other GMs sure have seemed to always get a little more than most pundits think was possible in deals with Jim since that time as well. And declining FA's also must love to sign on with Jim's team to wind up their careers.

All I see from your post is excuses, excuses, and more excuses.

What excuses? That's what happened. 

Like I said, they may have been laughing at the time, but the joke is on them. Adding Hamhuis for their playoff run could've made a difference. They low-balled, didn't get him, and lost in the 2nd round. Then they got him for free in the off-season but never made the playoffs with him. Whoop-di-doo.

What do you mean it should've never gotten down to such a low ball offer in the first place? That's out of our control. Dallas was playing two GMs and went with Russell and then tried to get Hamhuis as well for cheaper. Only thing we could control was saying yes or no and we said no. Most pundits have been wrong as well in their assessment of trades (see JT Miller, Tyler Motte, etc), yet people continue to buy into it.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

What excuses? That's what happened. 

Like I said, they may have been laughing at the time, but the joke is on them. Adding Hamhuis for their playoff run could've made a difference. They low-balled, didn't get him, and lost in the 2nd round. Then they got him for free in the off-season but never made the playoffs with him. Whoop-di-doo.

What do you mean it should've never gotten down to such a low ball offer in the first place? That's out of our control. Dallas was playing two GMs and went with Russell and then tried to get Hamhuis as well for cheaper. Only thing we could control was saying yes or no and we said no. Most pundits have been wrong as well in their assessment of trades (see JT Miller, Tyler Motte, etc), yet people continue to buy into it.

Toronto shot themselves in the foot dealing with us as well. Nonuts probably thought he was being a shrewd negotiator when he demanded a salary retention at the last moment but he only succeeded in scuttling the deal.

It's not just JB. Teams have tried to take advantage before and JB turning down lowball offers was the first step in getting fair value in future negotiations.

And of course no matter what he did the whiners would have whined and some would still be whining about it to this day.

• Cheers 4

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

We don't need the cap space anymore.   I truly hope JB doesn't buy LE or anyone out and doubt he will have too.   Yes i understand a lot of false news on this site scares people "we now only have 17.4 to sign 1000 people".   QHs and EP simply aren't as good YET as some folks think.   EP had a bigger sample size but is 19th in PGP and a lot worse in actual points since he came in.   QHs doesn't have a two way game yet.    JB knows he's got the cap space.    He also knows things we don't - maybe Seattle has already made a deal, maybe not.    Looks like we will be fine, even with long term deals.   I'm hoping for a 6.5-7 x 6 for both.   Said it two weeks ago and got burned for saying it.    Looks a lot more likely now doesn't it ? 

It's all about flexibility. Rather than seeing every buy out as a negative, they are a legitimate option, which could have benefits that outweigh any downside.

We MAY need to create cap space in 2021-22 with buy outs. Whether any buy outs are necessary will depend on how who may be selected in the Seattle expansion draft and next season's outlook for Beagle and Ferland. These are areas where JB has a lot more information than we do.

What is good to know is that, in addition to creating cap space if we require it, the buy outs of Eriksson and Hotlby would actually save real cash even when an equivalent or better replacement player is factored into the calculation.

This all will be weighed up against carrying a small legacy cap hit into 2022-23 from their buy outs. Bearing in mind that the 2022-23 season appears to be one where the Canucks have significant cap space available, this would not likely be a problem.

• Cheers 1

Honestly, the games i've watched of Highmore i've always been a fan. I have taken note a few times watching him play saying to myself, dang good hustle, or wow, nice play. Very subtle but plays a solid game and plays it the right way. Not much for offence but we don't need that from him. I've watching him play for Rockford as well, same game, same hustle. 

I've been sour with Gaudette for a while, didn't like his game twitching BS, he really was starting to act "bigger" than he really was.

I understand this whole stomach issue thing of his, but I honestly see a player that has been super sheltered his entire time in the NHL. We have to remember he had this stomach issue what he put up 30 plus points last year too...his stomach issues have nothing to do with how he reads or processes the game...they have never been able to just play him on the ice, they have to get him out and match him up against weaker opposition all the time. His shot is about the only thing he has going for him, while it's great, the sum of all his parts barely adds up to a full time NHL player. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Bang Bang Boogie said:

It's true.  Take it for what it's worth.

It was absolutely fake when it was “reported” by some random dude on Twitter and everyone picked up and ran with.  I went and checked and Bo still followed him.  I don’t have any reason to believe things changed in the hours since then unless you have some evidence

Edited by Provost
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Provost said:

It was absolutely fake when it was “reported” by some random dude on Twitter and everyone picked up and ran with.  I went and checked and Bo still followed him.  I don’t have any reason to believe things changed in the hours since then unless you have some evidence

No kidding... plus who wants to believe the Captain’s response was in line with what I’d expect from an 11 year old.  Twitter is weird.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, RWMc1 said:

Toronto shot themselves in the foot dealing with us as well. Nonuts probably thought he was being a shrewd negotiator when he demanded a salary retention at the last moment but he only succeeded in scuttling the deal.

It's not just JB. Teams have tried to take advantage before and JB turning down lowball offers was the first step in getting fair value in future negotiations.

And of course no matter what he did the whiners would have whined and some would still be whining about it to this day.

Whiners will continue to whine long after Benning and Green have moved on. There will always be whipping boys and scapegoats aplenty. It’s the nature of the beast on CDC.

Says me, who whines about the whiners. :P

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, BigTramFan said:

It's all about flexibility. Rather than seeing every buy out as a negative, they are a legitimate option, which could have benefits that outweigh any downside.

We MAY need to create cap space in 2021-22 with buy outs. Whether any buy outs are necessary will depend on how who may be selected in the Seattle expansion draft and next season's outlook for Beagle and Ferland. These are areas where JB has a lot more information than we do.

What is good to know is that, in addition to creating cap space if we require it, the buy outs of Eriksson and Hotlby would actually save real cash even when an equivalent or better replacement player is factored into the calculation.

This all will be weighed up against carrying a small legacy cap hit into 2022-23 from their buy outs. Bearing in mind that the 2022-23 season appears to be one where the Canucks have significant cap space available, this would not likely be a problem.

If the right player wants to play here, like Hamilton, then heck yes cash out.   But JB doesn't need to save 2-4 million next year just to plug a hole or two with meh like UFAs.   I'd be extremely disappointed if he that unless it was a short term thing as in a one year thing, in  which case i suppose it makes some sense.   JB IMO should be banking cap at this point, why i wasn't super happy to see Pearson re-singing at the time (since then and held back because when your assume anything, often you just make an ass of u and me when it comes to this stuff because we don't have close to all the data) - with perspective it now makes sense.   Didn't mind the deal at all, factually a pretty decent one... but i'd like JB to get over the LE signing at some point and try it again.  Horvat needs better wingers.   Our right hand D is lacking.    We need a better 3 C...

6 hours ago, CanuckGAME said:

Maybe there is something to the disliked in the locker room rumors haha.

His thank you and Farwell Ig post was only acknowledged by 3 teammates. 

Usually the boys always comment on teammates leaving.

The only indication media wise, that we might have an issue with AG was his comments when we re-signed him.   Seemed very typical  millennial discourse.   Like he was destined for greatness but hadn't made up his mind yet and once he did "watch out".   I'm not at all concerned about this, JB has preached character since the start, and made short work of anyone who didn't fit the mould (McAan, Dahlen and now AG).   Yes if he was a "team guy" you'd think there might be some backlash.    Anyone who's played any sports knows that modesty goes a long long way as far as teammates go. 

• Cheers 3

31 minutes ago, IBatch said:

If the right player wants to play here, like Hamilton, then heck yes cash out.   But JB doesn't need to save 2-4 million next year just to plug a hole or two with meh like UFAs.   I'd be extremely disappointed if he that unless it was a short term thing as in a one year thing, in  which case i suppose it makes some sense.   JB IMO should be banking cap at this point, why i wasn't super happy to see Pearson re-singing at the time (since then and held back because when your assume anything, often you just make an ass of u and me when it comes to this stuff because we don't have close to all the data) - with perspective it now makes sense.   Didn't mind the deal at all, factually a pretty decent one... but i'd like JB to get over the LE signing at some point and try it again.  Horvat needs better wingers.   Our right hand D is lacking.    We need a better 3 C...

If you take a realistic-to-optimistic view of our cap moves for next season, here is what may happen:

- Resign Pettersson 7m, Hughes 6m, Juolevi 1m, Vesey 1m

- Sign Podz 0.925m

- Both Beagle & Ferland on LTIR

- Waive Eriksson & Roussel to minors (saving $2.25m)

- Bowey fills D exposure requirement, so Myers will be protected. Holtby unlikely selected, so best cap loss for VAN would be Virtanen. Lets assume SEA selects JV.

This would give a 2021-22 roster with $9.3m in cap space and holes to be filled at 3C, 4C, plus two Dmen.

We are likely looking at UFA market or reserve list for the two Dmen. Probably two of Hamonic, Edler or Tryamkin are resigned at approx $2m each. Total cost about $4m, remaining space about $5.3m.

Hopefully, one of Lind/Jasek can be our 4C for about $1m. Remaining space $4.3m.

It seems likely we have to look at the UFA market to fill the 3C spot. This is not for a "meh" UFA fill-in, but for a genuine long term UFA 3C such as Lowry, who is probably looking for approx 4m x 4 year contract. So we sign Lowry with our remaining cap space. There are other options out there, including resigning Sutter for cheap, but I think Lowry is the best option and is pending UFA.

Roster becomes something like this:

Miller Pettersson Boeser

Pearson Horvat Hoglander

Motte Lowry Podkolzin

Vesey Lind MacEwen

(Highmore)

Hughes Hamonic

Juolevi Schmidt

Tryamkin Myers

(Rathbone Bowey)

Demko

(Holtby)

That was all done with NO BUY OUTS, but this was also with a slightly optimistic view. Perhaps Beagle is healthy and so we still have him at 4C for $3m. Perhaps Seattle selects Gadjovich, so we still have Virtanen at $2.55m, etc.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1