The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Adam Gaudette to Blackhawks for Matthew Highmore

2 hours ago, PistolPete13 said:

Whiners will continue to whine long after Benning and Green have moved on. There will always be whipping boys and scapegoats aplenty. It’s the nature of the beast on CDC.

Says me, who whines about the whiners. :P

Don't worry, I've made a career of whining about whiners. It's why I frequent HFCanucks for the lols.

• Cheers 1

59 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

This is not for a "meh" UFA fill-in, but for a genuine long term UFA 3C such as Lowry, who is probably looking for approx 4m x 4 year contract. So we sign Lowry with our remaining cap space.

Huge overpayment 

1 hour ago, BigTramFan said:

If you take a realistic-to-optimistic view of our cap moves for next season, here is what may happen:

- Resign Pettersson 7m, Hughes 6m, Juolevi 1m, Vesey 1m

- Sign Podz 0.925m

- Both Beagle & Ferland on LTIR

- Waive Eriksson & Roussel to minors (saving $2.25m)

- Bowey fills D exposure requirement, so Myers will be protected. Holtby unlikely selected, so best cap loss for VAN would be Virtanen. Lets assume SEA selects JV.

This would give a 2021-22 roster with $9.3m in cap space and holes to be filled at 3C, 4C, plus two Dmen.

We are likely looking at UFA market or reserve list for the two Dmen. Probably two of Hamonic, Edler or Tryamkin are resigned at approx $2m each. Total cost about $4m, remaining space about $5.3m.

Hopefully, one of Lind/Jasek can be our 4C for about $1m. Remaining space $4.3m.

It seems likely we have to look at the UFA market to fill the 3C spot. This is not for a "meh" UFA fill-in, but for a genuine long term UFA 3C such as Lowry, who is probably looking for approx 4m x 4 year contract. So we sign Lowry with our remaining cap space. There are other options out there, including resigning Sutter for cheap, but I think Lowry is the best option and is pending UFA.

Roster becomes something like this:

Miller Pettersson Boeser

Pearson Horvat Hoglander

Motte Lowry Podkolzin

Vesey Lind MacEwen

(Highmore)

Hughes Hamonic

Juolevi Schmidt

Tryamkin Myers

(Rathbone Bowey)

Demko

(Holtby)

That was all done with NO BUY OUTS, but this was also with a slightly optimistic view. Perhaps Beagle is healthy and so we still have him at 4C for $3m. Perhaps Seattle selects Gadjovich, so we still have Virtanen at $2.55m, etc.

Hate to lose Gadjovich.  He has 11 goals in 12 games - two today.  He loves to go to the front of the net like Big Bert.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 2

17 minutes ago, stanleysteamersmyl said:

Hate to lose Gadjovich.  He has 11 goals in 12 games - two today.  He loves to go to the front of the net like Big Bert.

If he continues the way he has they’ll be forced to protect him.

Can’t give up on a prospect putting up better AHL numbers than any u23 prospect we’ve had in a long time.

Seattle would gladly snag up an ELC goal scorer with size from us. Benning better not think he can slip him under the radar.

7 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

Agreed. Did I suggest that in my post?

End of your post.

That was all done with NO BUY OUTS, but this was also with a slightly optimistic view. Perhaps Beagle is healthy and so we still have him at 4C for $3m. Perhaps Seattle selects Gadjovich, so we still have Virtanen at $2.55m, etc.

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

If he continues the way he has they’ll be forced to protect him.

Can’t give up on a prospect putting up better AHL numbers than any u23 prospect we’ve had in a long time.

Seattle would gladly snag up an ELC goal scorer with size from us. Benning better not think he can slip him under the radar.

The way I see it...

Petey

Boeser

Miller

Bo

Pearson

....Are a given

That leaves 2 spots for...

Lind 

Gadjovich

Motte

Virtanen 

I'd expose Virtanen for sure but it would be tough to give Motte away.

2 minutes ago, coryberg said:

The way I see it...

Petey

Boeser

Miller

Bo

Pearson

....Are a given

That leaves 2 spots for...

Lind 

Gadjovich

Motte

Virtanen 

I'd expose Virtanen for sure but it would be tough to give Motte away.

Tough to give up on Motte but we also can’t be walking away from a young budding power forward. And we’re gonna need as much cheap scoring as possible.

I try to make a deal with Seattle. They may value a 3rd round pick and a lesser prospect over Motte. Who knows?

I do know Motte has likely hit his peak and if Gadjovich hits his potential we would be kicking ourselves for protecting a bottom 6 energy guy over him.

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, coryberg said:

In the 3 million ballpark. His offensive game is lacking to be considered in the 4 range

OK yeah so $4m is not actually a HUGE overpayment like you suggested.

Given Lowry's 60% dZS, I think getting 1.8 pts/60 mins is excellent. Recent comparables like Laughton (3x5) and Iafallo (4x4) would suggest that 4x4 for Lowry is not overpayment. Laughton plays a similar 3C role but not as well as Lowry. Iafallo is more of a top 6 winger but is sitting at 1.9 pts/60 mins with 46% dZS, so he is right in the same offensive production range with more opportunity to score. Factor in Lowry's size and fighting ability and he is the best choice that I can think of for that 3C role in VAN.

• Cheers 3

5 hours ago, theo5789 said:

What excuses? That's what happened. 

Like I said, they may have been laughing at the time, but the joke is on them. Adding Hamhuis for their playoff run could've made a difference. They low-balled, didn't get him, and lost in the 2nd round. Then they got him for free in the off-season but never made the playoffs with him. Whoop-di-doo.

What do you mean it should've never gotten down to such a low ball offer in the first place? That's out of our control. Dallas was playing two GMs and went with Russell and then tried to get Hamhuis as well for cheaper. Only thing we could control was saying yes or no and we said no. Most pundits have been wrong as well in their assessment of trades (see JT Miller, Tyler Motte, etc), yet people continue to buy into it.

You know if it was his only, or one of only a few, trade/signing misfires, fine.  But adding them all up........now all I see are excuses, and excuse makers, sorry.  Jim has jumped the shark for me. Or Orca?

I'll wish him success. I hope Tanner has a second wind. I hope he can sign Petey and Quinn to accommodating contracts. I'm stoked to see how Hoggy and now Podz fits into the team too.  And I'm also a Tram fan and hope we see him next season. I pray JB hasn't managed to burn that bridge too.

But I'll cheer the day he's replaced with a more seasoned GM with a glass of the best Islay Scotch and a nice fatty of BC's best.

21 minutes ago, stanleysteamersmyl said:

End of your post.

Oh yeah thanks for that, thought I was losing it! haha

I also don't want to lose Gadj! I was hoping that Gadj could be protected, but think Pearson has taken his slot.

I am guessing protected forwards will be: EP40, Miller, Horvat, Boeser, Pearson, Lind, Motte

18 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

OK yeah so $4m is not actually a HUGE overpayment like you suggested.

Given Lowry's 60% dZS, I think getting 1.8 pts/60 mins is excellent. Recent comparables like Laughton (3x5) and Iafallo (4x4) would suggest that 4x4 for Lowry is not overpayment. Laughton plays a similar 3C role but not as well as Lowry. Iafallo is more of a top 6 winger but is sitting at 1.9 pts/60 mins with 46% dZS, so he is right in the same offensive production range with more opportunity to score. Factor in Lowry's size and fighting ability and he is the best choice that I can think of for that 3C role in VAN.

The real question IMO is... Are we better off with Lowry at +/- $4x4... Or Sutter at +/- $2x2..?