The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Adam Gaudette to Blackhawks for Matthew Highmore

1 hour ago, coryberg said:

I would be tempted to offer Seattle a 2nd round pick to take holtby. Would help with the cap crunch and save us losing one of Lind,gadjovich or Motte. Not sure if that's enough but it's worth inquiring.

Nahh, we are getting a very high second with this covid team. Rather just eat the L next year and see where we are.

Either we see progression from this core and JB stays to see his plan out with the added flexibility or we get a lot of cap room for our new GM.

8 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

Nahh, we are getting a very high second with this covid team. Rather just eat the L next year and see where we are.

Either we see progression from this core and JB stays to see his plan out with the added flexibility or we get a lot of cap room for our new GM.

Lind and Gadjovich were seconds and are developing well.  If you add in the value in jettisoning a bad contract, that's a pretty good deal for us.

2 hours ago, coryberg said:

I would be tempted to offer Seattle a 2nd round pick to take holtby. Would help with the cap crunch and save us losing one of Lind,gadjovich or Motte. Not sure if that's enough but it's worth inquiring.

LeBrun says GM have already been touching base with Francis to enquire about prices.  It’s apparently really high.  It’s doubtful that a 2nd is sufficient.  There will also be plenty of solid goalies for them to pick from.

Pittsburgh paid a 2nd to have Vegas take Fleury.  Holtby has been struggling for several years now and even Clark hasn’t been able to fix his game yet.  Seattle can’t buy out players they pick for a year.

If Seattle wants to be competitive from the start they might also not want to help a divisional rival.  If teams stay in cap trouble it gives Seattle a wider access to the better UFAs as they could be one of the few teams with the necessary cap space to pay them.  

They get 72 hours to talk to every unprotected RFA/UFA before the draft.  It allows them to get a sense of the market.  They can pick a signed player and go back to a UFA in free agency.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, coryberg said:

Maybe protect Gadjovich, Lind and Motte, and leave Pearson exposed. Plus offer them a 2nd if they pick Holtby. Give Seattle the choice.

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

If you take a realistic-to-optimistic view of our cap moves for next season, here is what may happen:

- Resign Pettersson 7m, Hughes 6m, Juolevi 1m, Vesey 1m

- Sign Podz 0.925m

- Both Beagle & Ferland on LTIR

- Waive Eriksson & Roussel to minors (saving $2.25m)

- Bowey fills D exposure requirement, so Myers will be protected. Holtby unlikely selected, so best cap loss for VAN would be Virtanen. Lets assume SEA selects JV.

This would give a 2021-22 roster with $9.3m in cap space and holes to be filled at 3C, 4C, plus two Dmen.

We are likely looking at UFA market or reserve list for the two Dmen. Probably two of Hamonic, Edler or Tryamkin are resigned at approx $2m each. Total cost about $4m, remaining space about $5.3m.

Hopefully, one of Lind/Jasek can be our 4C for about $1m. Remaining space $4.3m.

It seems likely we have to look at the UFA market to fill the 3C spot. This is not for a "meh" UFA fill-in, but for a genuine long term UFA 3C such as Lowry, who is probably looking for approx 4m x 4 year contract. So we sign Lowry with our remaining cap space. There are other options out there, including resigning Sutter for cheap, but I think Lowry is the best option and is pending UFA.

Roster becomes something like this:

Miller Pettersson Boeser

Pearson Horvat Hoglander

Motte Lowry Podkolzin

Vesey Lind MacEwen

(Highmore)

Hughes Hamonic

Juolevi Schmidt

Tryamkin Myers

(Rathbone Bowey)

Demko

(Holtby)

That was all done with NO BUY OUTS, but this was also with a slightly optimistic view. Perhaps Beagle is healthy and so we still have him at 4C for $3m. Perhaps Seattle selects Gadjovich, so we still have Virtanen at $2.55m, etc.

This a good post.   I am more optimistic about EP and QHs signing then most, don't think your far off on them for bridge deals or even medium term ones.   

Not a fan at all of buy outs, unless it's for a critical position or rare opportunity, it just prolongs the pain.   I'd be shocked to see Edler at only 2...but if he really wants to stay here there isn't any harm in going low...feel he'd get a job on the market for at least 3.   Sutter probably 2.75-3.25 as well.    Lowry would be a great add, that's something worth going after, hard to say yet if he makes it to market, a lot of UFAs sign the week before free agency if they want to stay ... Tree at 2 is bang on, two years at most.   That's more then the highest paid guy in the KHL, sure he'd be happy to make that.   Hamonic is worth trying to keep too.    I expect at least one, one year deal on our D because the 9 million banked for sure is going to be partly spent there down the road.     If Hamilton doesn't sign with CAR buyouts would allow us to enter the bidding war for him...that's a deal that could hurt though. 

Re-signing Sutter to cover our third C for next year, and then replace Beagle is for sure on the table too.    Won't be shocked to see a similar deal as Pearson got 2.75-3 x 3.   For sure EDM or TO or somebody would offer him at least that.   Pretty sure covid nixted any plans to trade him.   The remainder of the season could help with that decision.   Not a lot of C's likely going to make it to free agency this year. 

7 hours ago, mll said:

LeBrun says GM have already been touching base with Francis to enquire about prices.  It’s apparently really high.  It’s doubtful that a 2nd is sufficient.  There will also be plenty of solid goalies for them to pick from.

Pittsburgh paid a 2nd to have Vegas take Fleury.  Holtby has been struggling for several years now and even Clark hasn’t been able to fix his game yet.  Seattle can’t buy out players they pick for a year.

If Seattle wants to be competitive from the start they might also not want to help a divisional rival.  If teams stay in cap trouble it gives Seattle a wider access to the better UFAs as they could be one of the few teams with the necessary cap space to pay them.  

They get 72 hours to talk to every unprotected RFA/UFA before the draft.  It allows them to get a sense of the market.  They can pick a signed player and go back to a UFA in free agency.

This is however the landscape where Taylor hall went for a 2nd (much higher in the draft than ours). As for MAF and the Knights, his contract had 2 years left at a higher cap hit.

If the cost were anything more it definitely wouldn't be worth it. But like I said "Not sure if that's enough but it's worth inquiring."

12 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

OK yeah so $4m is not actually a HUGE overpayment like you suggested.

Given Lowry's 60% dZS, I think getting 1.8 pts/60 mins is excellent. Recent comparables like Laughton (3x5) and Iafallo (4x4) would suggest that 4x4 for Lowry is not overpayment. Laughton plays a similar 3C role but not as well as Lowry. Iafallo is more of a top 6 winger but is sitting at 1.9 pts/60 mins with 46% dZS, so he is right in the same offensive production range with more opportunity to score. Factor in Lowry's size and fighting ability and he is the best choice that I can think of for that 3C role in VAN.

WPG actually has more cap space than we do for next year, so imo its going to take a Sutter-type deal to steal him out of there, likely in the 4.5x5 year range, something that Chevy wouldn't likely do.

If we're going to have a fast re-tooling of our bottom 6 this is whats needed, or the alternative is to try for a decent fill in on day 2 or 3 of free agency, but then we're also probably overpaying for a much lesser guy.

I'd rather Jim just go for it and land Lowry and we give him line mates like Motte and maybe Jake, or if not Lind to work with. 

8 hours ago, mll said:

if thats the case, I'd prefer we not give Seattle anything extra to play with and let them take a top 9 winger and be done with it. Holtby is a decent buyout all things considered. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, rekker said:

My guess is they take Jake. I'd rather they just take Jake than pay a second for any other scenario. Unless a second for a major cap dump of course. 

me too. Lets not pay Seattle to take guys, we don't actually need them to. If we're going to do that, lets at least send the picks to Detroit where they have less chance of hurting us. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, rekker said:

My guess is they take Jake. I'd rather they just take Jake than pay a second for any other scenario. Unless a second for a major cap dump 

I wouldn't mind at all if they took Jake (his back loaded contract might save him). But I figure it's whoever is exposed out of Lind Gadj or Motte.

Maybe give up a 3rd to take Rousell.

22 minutes ago, coryberg said:

I wouldn't mind at all if they took Jake (his back loaded contract might save him). But I figure it's whoever is exposed out of Lind Gadj or Motte.

Maybe give up a 3rd to take Rousell.

I think you gotta protect Motte 

I've never seen him not go 100%. He also has untapped offensive potential and out up good numbers in college

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

As for Lind or Gadj, that's a pretty big gamble for Expansion draft as they aren't even surefire NHLers. 

For that reason, I feel Canucks should not play them this year so. Seattle doesn't see how they perform at. NHL level

Seattle will be selecting 30 players so they will be taking some they won't be using on their roster right away. 

Protect Virtanen ans Gadjovich

Lind won’t be picked

Pearson is a perfect signing for Seattle

(does his NTC do anything against the ED?)

Exposing a player doesn’t necessarily mean he gets picked up.

Podkolzin is taking Pearson’s spot within the next season.

If Pearson doesn’t get picked up, he’s an excellent 3LW.