The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Adam Gaudette to Blackhawks for Matthew Highmore

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Still think that finding our 3C upgrade via trade, especially with the ED pressure point on other teams, is better than getting in what will likely be a costly bidding war for Lowry. Sutter is then the backup plan. Should that fail

yeah but what I'm scared of if Jim giving Sutter a 2 year deal :lol: please Jim, no.

I'm not all that worried about overpaying tbh, every team has it and sometimes its the right thing to do depending on need and what else you have to fill the other spots. 

Any thoughts as to who we could trade for tho? I think Ottawa hangs on to Tierney. 

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I think by next season he gets a serious look.

He would be a perfect bottom 6er on a cheap contract. We don’t currently have any player that brings his mix of size and skill.

one thing I do like about Green is he does allow players to earn spots in camp, so I suppose its up to him. I haven't watched any Utica games this year so I just wasn't sure how he was playing or if he was ready. 

14 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

yeah but what I'm scared of if Jim giving Sutter a 2 year deal :lol: please Jim, no.

I'm not all that worried about overpaying tbh, every team has it and sometimes its the right thing to do depending on need and what else you have to fill the other spots. 

Any thoughts as to who we could trade for tho? I think Ottawa hangs on to Tierney. 

I'd be completely fine with something like $2x2 for Sutter. Especially with limited or no trade protection that second year.

Oh god, don't say that overpay word around these parts, you're liable to get strung up :lol:

Really, I'm just not sure if it's the time to 'overspend' for that 'Malhotra' guy. I'm fine with another year or two of cheaper, solid 'training wheel' vets until Pettersson/Hughes get in their primes and support kids like Hoglander, Podkolzin, Lind, Jasek, Juolevi, Rathbone, Woo etc get some miles under their skates at this level.

Haven't had time to look at expansion lists and see who's at risk of exposure and might have a prospect etc to replace that guy.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

With the cap being what it is for the next few years, I'd believe it.

Thing is, the longer time moves on with the cap flat, the more guys contracts expire and new contracts get signed at lower Covid rates... The less tight cap space overall becomes.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

I'd be completely fine with something like $2x2 for Sutter. Especially with limited or no trade protection that second year.

Oh god, don't say that overpay word around these parts, you're liable to get strung up :lol:

Really, I'm just not sure if it's the time to 'overspend' for that 'Malhotra' guy. I'm fine with another year or two of cheaper, solid 'training wheel' vets until Pettersson/Hughes get in their primes and support kids like Hoglander, Podkolzin, Lind, Jasek, Juolevi, Rathbone, Woo etc get some miles under their skates at this level.

Haven't had time to look at expansion lists and see who's at risk of exposure and might have a prospect etc to replace that guy.

I would be fine with Sutter at 2x2. Without a ntc or expansion protection guaranteed. But I think its pretty unlikely Benning would even suggest that type of haircut to Sutter. I think 3x3.5 with a ntc is more likely. Which imo is too much for Sutter.

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

I'd be fine with a stop gap replacement for Sutter if the replacement has more speed. Fast teams are really beating on us. We need more speed in the bottom six. 

5 minutes ago, rekker said:

I'd be fine with a stop gap replacement for Sutter if the replacement has more speed. Fast teams are really beating on us. We need more speed in the bottom six. 

I know someone who knows someone...

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, rekker said:

Yeah again, this is why I think trade is the route we go for now ideally. But failing that preferred 'plan A', Sutter on a short, reasonable deal is a decent backup plan. Sutter also may not be a complete burner but he's not slow either. 

But  then we see another reason Benning targeted Highmore here...he's got speed and solid defensive play. Fits our team needs.

• Cheers 2

22 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Yeah again, this is why I think trade is the route we go for now ideally. But failing that preferred 'plan A', Sutter on a short, reasonable deal is a decent backup plan. Sutter also may not be a complete burner but he's not slow either. 

But  then we see another reason Benning targeted Highmore here...he's got speed and solid defensive play. Fits our team needs.

Agreed. I am a Sutter fan for what he does bring. We could do worse and there may well be few options. Especially if Beagle is done. 

• Cheers 1

44 minutes ago, aGENT said:

He is not an accomplished center though. Not sure I see him as an out of the gate Sutter replacement. Would be awesome though.

Just now, wallstreetamigo said:

He is not an accomplished center though. Not sure I see him as an out of the gate Sutter replacement. Would be awesome though.

Wasn't talking about Highmore replacing Sutter... I was talking about trading to acquire a Sutter replacement/upgrade.

Also (separately) talking about bringing more speed (and solid defensive play) to the bottom 6. Highmore brings that (on wing).

Just now, aGENT said:

Wasn't talking about Highmore replacing Sutter... I was talking about trading to acquire a Sutter replacement/upgrade.

Also (separately) talking about bringing more speed (and solid defensive play) to the bottom 6. Highmore brings that (on wing).

Hopefully Highmore lives up to the hype here.

Lets hope there is a trade for a player like that. 

• RoughGame 1

4 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Hopefully Highmore lives up to the hype here.

Lets hope there is a trade for a player like that. 

What 'hype'? 

He's a 4th line/spare winger with speed, a good motor and solid defensive play. Well see how he does.

Apparently in Wally's world that equals = "CDC thinks Highmore is the next Bergeron!"

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

I had to think about this trade and decided not to react the 1st few days and I'm glad I did. If the rumours are true, it sounds like there were potential issues arising beyond having just a poor season. I don't want to jump to conclusions on things like these but I can see this trade being necessary. Is Highmore high value? Not really, but he's better than nothing.

• Cheers 1

On 4/14/2021 at 2:31 PM, aGENT said:

What 'hype'? 

He's a 4th line/spare winger with speed, a good motor and solid defensive play. Well see how he does.

Apparently in Wally's world that equals = "CDC thinks Highmore is the next Bergeron!"

Jesus man. You are so fixated on flaming anything I say. When did I say he was anything but that?

I genuinely hope he lives up to the hype of his game fitting in well with the team. He is a question mark at this point. So I am simply rooting for him bud, calm down.

• Vintage 1